Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Stafford Can Do It
It’s hard to have these conversations when I haven’t given it any thought and don’t know any of those numbers. But I know that I want to be a Viking, and that’s kind of the foundation of it all. From there, it’s pretty easy to make those conversations happen when you want to be a Minnesota Viking.”
Unless the 33-year-old is outwardly lying, he has no desire to start over — again. Minnesota will likely employ a new head coach, perhaps one more in-tune with the offensive operations (Zimmer is a defense-always personality).
Too, the quote by Cousins suggests his contract is flexible. His money is guaranteed through 2022, but he could accept an extension with the franchise or enter restructuring talks. Fans would like nothing more than “Cousins at a discount.” Cousins has never taken a discount for the team’s sake before, but strangers things have happened.

At least one indication.

Quote: @Norse said:
Cousins has had 4 years to take us to the Super Bowl. How many more years you need  :3 :3

Matthew Stafford cap hit is 23M this year & the Rams traded multiple picks to “build the team.” Get back to me when Kirk is willing to cut his next year cap hit in half.
Stafford had how many years to take Detroit to even a Playoff win?  

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@Havoc1649 said:
Cousins is not why we are out of the playoffs and a championship caliber team. I don’t understand how this is so difficult for people to get their heads around. I get that it is easier to blame one person from an emotional standpoint. However, an objective look at what is wrong with our team clearly shows the defense as the reason we consistently lost close games all year. They were truly bad and we had a coach who refused to play the superior players (Breeland over Dantzler) or bring out a team prepared to play at a high level. 
The San Francisco 49ers led by Cousins this year is likely a Super Bowl favorite. Unfortunately for them, they had a QB who routinely made bonehead plays that risked their games and it finally caught up with them. Cousins can win a championship, but he has to play on a balanced team (like every other QB). Like Stafford until now, he hasn’t been afforded that luxury.
For whatever reason, it seems like many Viking fans really struggle to appreciate what they have. As for me, if a coach and GM cannot win with a QB who performs like Cousins, they are the problem and thank god the ownership finally caught on to that. Cousins is far from perfect, but he’s plenty good enough to be playing in a Super Bowl. Cousins and our offensive skill position players are all more than capable. They just need some help from the other side. 
The one legit complaint regarding Cousins is that contract. He has to be willing to be in it for the team and sign a deal that is compatible with putting together a winning combination. If he does, there’s no reason why this team isn’t competitive next year. If the coaches and GM are worth a shit, this is not a difficult turnaround. 
EXACTLY!  Cousins has made in the neighborhood of $220 million in his career.  Give a really good hometown discount and it would endear him to the fans as well as other players.   Give the Vikings some room to manuever for a couple of high quality free agents and lock up some of our better young players.  Thielen and Smith should also come to the table.   
I don't see it. He was enabled by the front office to do guaranteed contracts so he is not the only part of the equation. I am interested to see how his approach changes with the new front office. I do see him as looking out for himself first though. He is going to continue to grab the bag.

Cousins has had 4 years to take us to the Super Bowl. How many more years you need  :3 :3

Matthew Stafford cap hit is 23M this year & the Rams traded multiple picks to “build the team.” Get back to me when Kirk is willing to cut his next year cap hit in half.
Stafford was part of a trade.  You can’t look at his salary number as the
only part of the equation.

The Rams are paying Goff $22.2M in dead money this year.  The Lions are paying Stafford $19M in dead
money this year.  Furthermore the Rams
paid a bunch of draft capital to get Stafford. 
Those are all part of the costs to have Stafford. 

The Rams aren’t paying Stafford $23M.  They’re paying $23M in salary + Goff’s $22.2M
in dead money + all the picks they lost.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
It’s hard to have these conversations when I haven’t given it any thought and don’t know any of those numbers. But I know that I want to be a Viking, and that’s kind of the foundation of it all. From there, it’s pretty easy to make those conversations happen when you want to be a Minnesota Viking.”
Unless the 33-year-old is outwardly lying, he has no desire to start over — again. Minnesota will likely employ a new head coach, perhaps one more in-tune with the offensive operations (Zimmer is a defense-always personality).
Too, the quote by Cousins suggests his contract is flexible. His money is guaranteed through 2022, but he could accept an extension with the franchise or enter restructuring talks. Fans would like nothing more than “Cousins at a discount.” Cousins has never taken a discount for the team’s sake before, but strangers things have happened.

At least one indication.
All he said is he wants to be a Viking...  I'm sure he wanted to be a Viking at his last contract extension which was a short-term guaranteed deal...  just like the initial contract we gave him.

I think an extension is on the table depending on who we hire as a HC.  But don't be surprised if it's another short-term deal with little cap flexibility.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@Chuckf said:
@Havoc1649 said:
Cousins is not why we are out of the playoffs and a championship caliber team. I don’t understand how this is so difficult for people to get their heads around. I get that it is easier to blame one person from an emotional standpoint. However, an objective look at what is wrong with our team clearly shows the defense as the reason we consistently lost close games all year. They were truly bad and we had a coach who refused to play the superior players (Breeland over Dantzler) or bring out a team prepared to play at a high level. 
The San Francisco 49ers led by Cousins this year is likely a Super Bowl favorite. Unfortunately for them, they had a QB who routinely made bonehead plays that risked their games and it finally caught up with them. Cousins can win a championship, but he has to play on a balanced team (like every other QB). Like Stafford until now, he hasn’t been afforded that luxury.
For whatever reason, it seems like many Viking fans really struggle to appreciate what they have. As for me, if a coach and GM cannot win with a QB who performs like Cousins, they are the problem and thank god the ownership finally caught on to that. Cousins is far from perfect, but he’s plenty good enough to be playing in a Super Bowl. Cousins and our offensive skill position players are all more than capable. They just need some help from the other side. 
The one legit complaint regarding Cousins is that contract. He has to be willing to be in it for the team and sign a deal that is compatible with putting together a winning combination. If he does, there’s no reason why this team isn’t competitive next year. If the coaches and GM are worth a shit, this is not a difficult turnaround. 
EXACTLY!  Cousins has made in the neighborhood of $220 million in his career.  Give a really good hometown discount and it would endear him to the fans as well as other players.   Give the Vikings some room to manuever for a couple of high quality free agents and lock up some of our better young players.  Thielen and Smith should also come to the table.   
I don't see it. He was enabled by the front office to do guaranteed contracts so he is not the only part of the equation. I am interested to see how his approach changes with the new front office. I do see him as looking out for himself first though. He is going to continue to grab the bag.
The next time that KC signs a team friendly contract will be the first time that KC signs a team friendly contract.

Cousins was the cause of  Zim and Rick getting fired.
Why would the next coach even want Cousins around?

I'm trusting Kwesi and our new HC to make the right call with Cousins.

My god, how much money does a guy who drives an old conversion van & thinks Pizza Ranch is a five star restaurant, need…!?  Wink 

Quote: @Kentis said:
My god, how much money does a guy who drives an old conversion van & thinks Pizza Ranch is a five star restaurant, need…!?  Wink 
Well he is in the market for a new ride after the accident,   and pizza ranch has really cut their "deals" way back.

Except, he had 4 years in a run-first offense behind a coach that frankly sucked at utilizing a passing attack until desperation time, with a declining defense, kickers who could seemingly miss water falling out of a boat, and oh yeah...a line with absolute s**t play at the guard positions.

One thing that is obvious as the balls on a tall dog, yet keeps escaping people: many of the QBs/offenses we fawn over are built around their QB, whereas we've basically been run-first since drafting Adrian freaking Peterson.  We haven't really built our offense around our offensive field general since...what, Culpepper?

That obviously hasn't worked.  Trying to be the "tough trench team" has basically given us many years of also-ran-ism.  We don't put a system around our QB like other teams invest in, yet we wonder why ours doesn't seem as poised...

...hmmm....