Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubling Rumor from Tom Moore
Zim will turn 66 this year which makes him the 4th oldest coach in the NFL. Time to clean the slate. I would be good if they Vikes cleaned up the roster to. Barr, Cousins, and a few others can go. Trading a few players if you can get high value. Cook and Hunter. New GM and coach. Keep sucking for a year or two and rebuild!

Quote: @"Still Hurtn" said:
Zim will turn 66 this year which makes him the 4th oldest coach in the NFL. Time to clean the slate. I would be good if they Vikes cleaned up the roster to. Barr, Cousins, and a few others can go. Trading a few players if you can get high value. Cook and Hunter. New GM and coach. Keep sucking for a year or two and rebuild!
This is a possibility but I would think unlikely as far as the trades go for sure. Cookie and Hunter are arguably our 2 best players and still in their prime. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Rigby" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
In equally believable news, Vikings are said to covet Jimmy Garoppolo and are willing to give up Justin Jefferson and Dakota Dozier to get him. 
Thought about it for a moment, but it has to be a no go with the inclusion of Dozier.
Yeah, that's what the 49ers said too. 
I heard they wanted practice balls instead of Dozier and RS nixed the deal saying price is too high...

My biggest concern is that 2022 is a throw away year. They bring back Zimmer because they don’t want to pay him off.  So cosmetically they replace Spielman with in house Jamal Stephenson which means no real change. Even if they unload Kirk, if they bring in chicken arm Bridgewater your passing game goes in the shitter.

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:
This is a possibility but I would think unlikely as far as the trades go for sure. Cookie and Hunter are arguably our 2 best players and still in their prime. 
Both have repeated injury issues as well, that might be a concern.

My biggest concern is that we are lacking quality coaches in the coaching staff.  I kind of want to know if Zimmer was told to just make it work with Kubiak and A. Zimmer/Patterson, rather than getting experienced coordinators or if these were his top choices.
If he was forced down this path or forced into Cousins, and the owners felt he was limited, I could see getting one more year.

I could also see that maybe you bring in a GM and let him get the lay of the land for a year before bringing in a HC.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
My biggest concern is that we are lacking quality coaches in the coaching staff.  I kind of want to know if Zimmer was told to just make it work with Kubiak and A. Zimmer/Patterson, rather than getting experienced coordinators or if these were his top choices.
If he was forced down this path or forced into Cousins, and the owners felt he was limited, I could see getting one more year.

I could also see that maybe you bring in a GM and let him get the lay of the land for a year before bringing in a HC.
I am guessing Zimmer was told he could hire whomever he wished if they were willing to take a 1 year contract at a low base salary.  No real prospective coordinators would go for that.

If Zimmer is our HC next year I am taking a non-Covid year off (paid I might add) as a Viking fan.  My payment will be the ability to not watch closely and be able to laugh and say "I told ya so".  Oh wait, I have already done that this year.  OK, a sabbatical then.  Hold my place!

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Makes sense to replace the GM first and then let him determine the coaching situation.   However what concerns me is that I still don't think Zimmer was Rick's pick,  I think that was Parcells influence and this move would make me wonder if he isn't still in their ear and is actually the one running the team.
Why do you say that?  From what I recall, both bonded over being sons of coaches and their love of football.  Obviously any HC pick isn't just the GM's decision, ownership is involved as well, but Spielman seemed all in with Zimmer by the way they talked about each other after he was hired.  Didn't sound like window dressing, seemed genuine.
I always found it too convenient that The Wilfs have always said they use Parcels as a NFL guide at times and that Zimmer had been passed over so many times and when Rick finally gets to hire his own head coach he chooses the guy that the Wilfs mentor has been pimping for so long?  That and I dont really see them as the same type of football guys.   I have my doubts that Rick would be so close minded to developing and utilizing more modern concepts to take advantage of the way the rules have changed.  Zimmer ball seems to still be trying to win the 1995 Superbowl.

I think Rick has learned from Zimmer when it comes to picking players, and he has been complimentary about it.  however I dont know that they are buddies or anything like that.  I just never got the feeling that Zim was Ricks choice.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Makes sense to replace the GM first and then let him determine the coaching situation.   However what concerns me is that I still don't think Zimmer was Rick's pick,  I think that was Parcells influence and this move would make me wonder if he isn't still in their ear and is actually the one running the team.
Why do you say that?  From what I recall, both bonded over being sons of coaches and their love of football.  Obviously any HC pick isn't just the GM's decision, ownership is involved as well, but Spielman seemed all in with Zimmer by the way they talked about each other after he was hired.  Didn't sound like window dressing, seemed genuine.
I always found it too convenient that The Wilfs have always said they use Parcels as a NFL guide at times and that Zimmer had been passed over so many times and when Rick finally gets to hire his own head coach he chooses the guy that the Wilfs mentor has been pimping for so long?  That and I dont really see them as the same type of football guys.   I have my doubts that Rick would be so close minded to developing and utilizing more modern concepts to take advantage of the way the rules have changed.  Zimmer ball seems to still be trying to win the 1995 Superbowl.

I think Rick has learned from Zimmer when it comes to picking players, and he has been complimentary about it.  however I dont know that they are buddies or anything like that.  I just never got the feeling that Zim was Ricks choice.
And i got the feeling that you are right and i agree with you. That does not mean he was a bad hire when it happened. I for one was elated about Zim. I am not sure what happened because he seemed to be on top of his game in the early years.