Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins & Zim combo needs to end
Your right pattersaur, he doesn't fit on this team......that is why Zimmer has to go. Like it or nt, with his contract, kirk isn't going anywhere. Zimmer and Kubiac are what is holding back this team. Run, Run, Pass then Punt doen't crack it in this league. The modern day NFL is more like 65-70% passing, and the Vikes are closer to 50%, which makes playing defense against us very predictable.

Zimmer used to be a defensive master, but the game has passd him by. He is too stubborn to adjust, so he is always the frustrated guy in his pressers statig things like "This team is better than this, these players are better than this". What he doesn't realize is that we all agree with him, they are better than their record, so that means a coaching change might be in order.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@pattersaur said:
Agree with OP. Kirk and Zim both need to go. Neither is terrible, but nor is either good enough to overcome the other’s weaknesses. 

Whatever the Vikings are doing, it’s not working. Time to try something else. 
Kirk isn't going anywhere. There's nothing in the pipeline, especially for a new coaching staff. 
While I think keeping and extending Kirk is probably the best route for this team, if Zimmer is fired, the Vikings will probably want to bring in an offensive guy. There's no guarantee Cousins would be a fit for the new coach or his offense. And I'm not sure you want Cousins learning a new offense at $40M a year. 

No, it's not likely Mond is ready, but there are other routes. You could bring in a bridge QB, a Bridgewater. Or you could go big and trade for Watson, Wilson, et al. 

Lot of decisions to make for the Wilfs. With Aaron Rodgers leaving the division, the wisest decision might be in the moves they DON'T make. Focus on the problem. Eliminate the problem (Zimmer IMO). And don't make matters worse by going too far, by "cleaning house" or "rebuilding" one of the NFL's youngest and most talented rosters, no matter how many talk radio dip shits think it's a good idea. 

Quote: @JoDakota said:
Your right pattersaur, he doesn't fit on this team......that is why Zimmer has to go. Like it or nt, with his contract, kirk isn't going anywhere. Zimmer and Kubiac are what is holding back this team. Run, Run, Pass then Punt doen't crack it in this league. The modern day NFL is more like 65-70% passing, and the Vikes are closer to 50%, which makes playing defense against us very predictable.

Zimmer used to be a defensive master, but the game has passd him by. He is too stubborn to adjust, so he is always the frustrated guy in his pressers statig things like "This team is better than this, these players are better than this". What he doesn't realize is that we all agree with him, they are better than their record, so that means a coaching change might be in order.
This piqued my interest. There's one team that throws over 65% of the time, TB. Top 5 is rounded out by Jets, Steelers, LV, and Jax. All on the outside looking in.

Bottom 5, Eagles, Colts, Titans, Saints, and 49ers. 4 of the 5 in the playoffs.

Vikings are at 19 overall with 57.72% pass plays.

Teamrankings.com

I don't think either Zimmer or Cousins is really the answer.  I think Zimmer's got better odds of winning a SB than Cousins does.  Zimmer has had a lot of bad luck, but he's also made a bunch of bad decisions.  I think that without a doubt, we'd be in the playoffs this year, if he had chosen quality coordinators rather than rolling the dice with inexperienced coordinators.  I think he's really failed to embrace the totality of head coaching, and has instead focused too much on the defensive side of the ball over his tenure.  I think Zimmer/Spielman really screwed up when they abandoned the attempt to draft an elite QB.  Over Zimmer's tenure we've drafted Bridgewater and Mond with high draft picks, when we should have drafted 2 more.  An elite QB changes everything, and we made no real attempt to get one after Bridgewater until it was too late.  I think Zimmer will always struggle as his OC's will keep getting stolen from under him.  I think his best shot is to get two veteran coordinators and let them do the heavy lifting, and he moves into a true HC role.  Ideally the OC would be a good OC, but a failed HC who has lost their HC aspirations, such that they would stick around.  I think he's run out of runway here though and probably needs a fresh start.

Cousins, I think, will need a lot more of a perfect situation to win a SB.  I think he will need to be paired with an offensive guru HC, like Reid or McVay that stacks the offensive roster with stars.  I don't think it's really going to work out well to pair him with that next McVay, who isn't actually the next McVay.  I think McVay is an outlier, as a guy who just came in and coached like a veteran HC.  Like pairing Cousins with a Stefanski is probably more likely to end up at .500 ball than it is to get over the hump.  I think there's just always going to be 3-4 games a year where Cousins just doesn't really show up to play.  I think Cousins at $25M a year makes a lot more sense than Cousins at $35M a year plus.  I don't think paying a midlevel QB top tier money is ever a strategy that makes sense.  Obviously that's not the market dynamics of the NFL, but at some point teams will have to figure out an alternate plan.

I don't think it's really that hard to get out of Cousins contract.  I think it's just a matter of how much of his salary you have to eat.  I think there's a lot of teams that would take him as a one year rental to let their drafted QB season for a year.  I think there's a fair number of teams that think they're smart enough to get him to a SB and would renegotiate with Cousins.  I think eating $20M of his 2022 contract should be enough to get out of his contract, as the other team would be looking at a 1 year deal for $25M, which isn't that bad.

16 teams in 1st or 2nd place. 

Below is a definitive list of those teams that have given up more points than the Vikings:

1. LA. Chargers
End of list.

But, getting rid of Cousins would fix that.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The defensive slide has been the most disappointing thing to me. Tomlinson has been a bust as our big free agent signing. I expected the second coming of the Williams wall and it's been far from it. Pierce has played ok when healthy. I thought Eric Kendricks with 660 pounds in front of him that nobody would be able to run against us. 

That and our struggles at cornerback have been killer. After all the resources spent at the cornerback position amd Zimmers alleged mastery of the position, it's been brutal to watch 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
16 teams in 1st or 2nd place. 

Below is a definitive list of those teams that have given up more points than the Vikings:

1. LA. Chargers
End of list.

But, getting rid of Cousins would fix that.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
If you are trying to prioritize why things suck, and who should be the target of your anger, then your mindset makes sense.  The defense is worse than Cousins this year and last, end of story.

But that isn't the mindset you need for building a SB winner.  You have limited cap space and limited draft picks, and there's always problems.  Cousins is mediocre, and by definition there will always be parts of the team that are worse than he is.  We've spent the last several years building an offensive team, while our defense has aged and we didn't restock it with draft picks.  Now we're going to have to start paying more attention to the defense again.  Thielen and Cook will probably start to become shells of their current selves within a couple years.  You have to ask the question if it's reasonably likely to build a SB contender around Cousins or if there's always going to be too many holes.

In my mind, you just need to find an elite QB as fast as possible.  Cousins isn't elite.  You can keep him or get rid of him in the short term, but the plan needs to include finding a better QB than him.  Maybe you'll get lucky with him and everything will be perfect around him.  It's not impossible, but it's not a good plan if he's your only option.

List of QBs to throw for 25+ TDs in 6 consecutive seasons in NFL history:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Philip Rivers
- KIRK COUSINS*

*The longest ACTIVE streak in the league

Mediocre.

Hokay.

Vikings Win Percentage,
When Winning Turnover Battle in Gm,
Franchise History:

1961-2020 = .792

2021 = .285

Damn, we really need to move on from Cousins!

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
List of QBs to throw for 25+ TDs in 6 consecutive seasons in NFL history:

- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Philip Rivers
- KIRK COUSINS*

*The longest ACTIVE streak in the league

Mediocre.

Hokay.
You have your opinion.  It's not an uncommon opinion.  That said, it's also not close to unanimous.   Probably half the Washington fans and half the Viking fans wouldn't be too bothered with him not being on their team.  Looking at various QB Power Rankings, he's almost always in the 10-20 range.

Looking at the stat you posted.  25 TDs isn't top TD caliber.  It's 10-15 caliber on any given season in the modern time period.  What it really says is that he's consistently available and doesn't get injured and is in the top half of the league.