Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Malik Willis or to not Malik Willis?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status...8801325061
Crazy how much changes in a year. Ridder was like a 3rd of 4th rounder in last years draft and I honestly dont think he got any better. There may be some good QBs that come out of this draft but my opinion is Meh for that position. Of course the group of corners at the top seem to be strong…getting myself ready for that announcement with our first pick

Quote: @mblack said:
@MaroonBells said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@Knucklehead said:
Is he a better prospect than Mond?
Much better. But he's raw and inconsistent. Former Clemson or Auburn recruit with dynamic playmaking abilities. Electric. 
So we passed on getting a near sure thing at QB this past draft and get Mond. When some of us disagreed with that move we were told:
  1. Mond was high on our board (as they say)
  2. We value draft picks (reason we did not trade up for Fields)
  3. A QB will not help as long as we have Cousins. That a rookie will not beat him. (Reasons we did not take Jones when we had a chance ) 
  4. We have bigger holes to fill. A qb without an Oline is not wirth it. Our oline still sucks and we still need to draft OL help.
  5. We are in win now mode or close to play off and a rookie QB does not help (we are barely hanging onto the last playoff spot with a 7-7 record)
  6. Mond can sit back and develop without pressure. Are we giving up already? Yet the qbs we could have had are both playing and doing well)
And now we are talking about drafting another QB because he is better than Mond?
What happened to all the reasons above? 

Who was the sure thing? 
Near sure thing…Mac Jones.
Kind of a moot point anyways since the Vikings were locked into dual-treat QBs. They had an interest in both Trey Lance & Justin Fields, just not at the price it would have taken. You can argue that in hindsight but we'll see how it plays out long-term. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status...8801325061
As of today I think a consensus of NFL scouts will have them: 

1a. Corral 
1b. Pickett 
3. Howell 
4. Strong 
5. Willis 
6. Ridder 

A few caveats are that if Strong's health checks-out some teams may actually move him all the way up to 1 or 2. The senior bowl will also do quite a bit when it comes to jockeying for position. NFL isn't as down on Howell as the media. 

When it comes to Willis specifically, he's going to have Lamar Jackson syndrome. He's a steal if he hits or a bust, no in-between. Lots of teams will just pass and let that be another teams prerogative. I personally don't think he makes good/quick enough decisions in the pocket to be effective in the NFL for awhile. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

1a. Corral 
1b. Pickett 
3. Howell 
4. Strong 
5. Willis 
6. Ridder 

A few caveats are that if Strong's health checks-out some teams may actually move him all the way up to 1 or 2. The senior bowl will also do quite a bit when it comes to jockeying for position. NFL isn't as down on Howell as the media. 

When it comes to Willis specifically, he's going to have Lamar Jackson syndrome. He's a steal if he hits or a bust, no in-between. Lots of teams will just pass and let that be another teams prerogative. I personally don't think he makes good/quick enough decisions in the pocket to be effective in the NFL for awhile. 

Pass on Willis. Not being able to complete 60% of your passes at Liberty is a red flag for me. Many fans want mobility because Kirk isnt mobile but if thats the case, then trade down and hope Howell or Corral is still there. If not, let’s address actual needs with good players at CB, DL or LB

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

1a. Corral 
1b. Pickett 
3. Howell 
4. Strong 
5. Willis 
6. Ridder 

Last thing I saw on Strong was the knee was fine. By far my favorite QB. Definitely not a dual threat guy if that's what we are looking for. I'd give him a late first grade, but he's going higher most likely.

Heard Pickett has baby hands.

Howell got saddled with a bad team.

If they aren't first round material in a normal year,  dont reach.  We can't afford to burn any more day 1 or 2 picks.  This roster needs multiple day on contributions from next year's draft class.

We really need to see what Mond can do after a year of seasoning. I dont need to see a win or even nice stats,  If he looks like a rookie and is lost out there we need to move on another early project or consider keeping Cousins around.  But if he can lead some drives,  move the chains with his arm as opposed to being to eager to run,  then perhaps there is something to build off.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
If they aren't first round material in a normal year,  dont reach.  We can't afford to burn any more day 1 or 2 picks.  This roster needs multiple day on contributions from next year's draft class.

We really need to see what Mond can do after a year of seasoning. I dont need to see a win or even nice stats,  If he looks like a rookie and is lost out there we need to move on another early project or consider keeping Cousins around.  But if he can lead some drives,  move the chains with his arm as opposed to being to eager to run,  then perhaps there is something to build off.
Agree with this especially the part about needing multiple day one contributions from next year's draft class. But if Zim is still here, that won't happen.

If we pass on a first round QB, I'm intrigued by Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky as a developmental prospect. Not sure if he's a Day 2 or Day 3 prospect. Highly accurate, only average arm strength & played in an "air raid" offense. But, as good of a non-first round QB as you'll find in this draft.