Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When a Win Feels Like a Loss
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
Offensive play calling was offensive. Keep doing whats working till they stop it. 

Did they deserve to lose? Of course not, they won! 

Typical divisional game, but doesnt give me confidence going against the rest of a very difficult schedule. 

Lets celebrate the good:
  • A win in a tough situation
  • A winning field goal 
  • JJ
  • Cousins
  • Kendricks
  • Darrisaw playing today and looking decent
  • Mattison
  • Hunter and Griffen
  • PP
  • AT coming through in the clutch

Good post, pf.  I'll take a close win over a hearbreaking loss anytime we can get it. 

I suppose Raven's fans hated their last second FG win (19-17) over the Lions even more than Viking fans do.  After all, that kick was 12 yards further away than Joseph's so their crappy offense sucked worse than the Viking's.
It's so different than the Ravens though. They were on the road. They dont have weekly conservative and awful offensive playcalling. There was some positives in the game like Mattison, Jefferson, and the DL but again, nothing to make us fans feel confident about moving forward

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
Offensive play calling was offensive. Keep doing whats working till they stop it. 

Typical divisional game, but doesnt give me confidence going against the rest of a very difficult schedule. 

Lets celebrate the good:
  • A winning field goal 
  • JJ
  • Cousins
  • Kendricks
  • Mattison
  • Hunter and Griffen
  • PP

Good post, pf.  I'll take a close win over a hearbreaking loss anytime we can get it. 

I suppose Raven's fans hated their last second FG win (19-17) over the Lions even more than Viking fans do.  After all, that kick was 12 yards further away than Joseph's so their crappy offense sucked worse than the Viking's.
It's so different than the Ravens though. They were on the road. They dont have weekly conservative and awful offensive playcalling. There was some positives in the game like Mattison, Jefferson, and the DL but again, nothing to make us fans feel confident about moving forward
I take it one game at a time.  I thought this Viking team would be .500 or maybe a 9 win team this season.  They've lost a couple tough ones already, but not yesterday.  They actually fought back and won after an insane comeback from the Lions.   I'll take it any day over losing.  I never really believed the Vikings would be a playoff team going into this season anyway.  Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Speaking of WTF....why the hell was Hill back in for Darrisaw in the 4th quarter?  Its like Zimmer told Kubiak that he had Detroit and the points so make it close.
Zimmer should be investigated for point shaving.
You're joking, but there were times when I honestly thought Zimmer was trying to lose. Might explain that awkward exchange with Cousins. You like that, coach!!! No, I had six figures on the Lions. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:

Lets celebrate the good:
  • A winning field goal 
  • JJ
  • Cousins
  • Kendricks
  • Mattison
  • Hunter and Griffen
  • PP

I take it one game at a time.  I thought this Viking team would be .500 or maybe a 9 win team this season.  They've lost a couple tough ones already, but not yesterday.  They actually fought back and won after an insane comeback from the Lions.   I'll take it any day over losing.  I never really believed the Vikings would be a playoff team going into this season anyway.  Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong.

Good post, but I am curious:

Season 8 for Zimmer.

Spent $$ on FA's like Pierce, Tomlinson, PP, Woods.  Added 5-6 new defensive starters.

Why is our expectations with an offense already loaded with talent, adds several defensive starters, and we only expect 8-9 wins?  (I don't disagree)

The beat down acceptance for mediocrity needs to be in the rear view mirror, and with a roster so loaded we will probably miss playoffs,  again.

So why do we continue down this familiar road, with the same HC and GM, same expectations and get the same results?

Wilfs need to blow it up in January IMO

Quote: @Zanary said:
I want to know why passes kept bouncing off of our receivers, today...?!?!

Kirk didn't get a chance to deflate the balls prior to game time.  He was to busy with Breeland's "johnson." 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@HappyViking said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:

Lets celebrate the good:
  • A winning field goal 
  • JJ
  • Cousins
  • Kendricks
  • Mattison
  • Hunter and Griffen
  • PP

Season 8 for Zimmer.

Spent $$ on FA's like Pierce, Tomlinson, PP, Woods.  Added 5-6 new defensive starters.

Why is our expectations with an offense already loaded with talent, adds several defensive starters, and we only expect 8-9 wins?  (I don't disagree)

The beat down acceptance for mediocrity needs to be in the rear view mirror, and with a roster so loaded we will probably miss playoffs,  again.

So why do we continue down this familiar road, with the same HC and GM, same expectations and get the same results?

Unless they make the playoffs and make a run? I agree. I dont know if that means front office and coaching or not. Not my job to figure out. 

Even @ 2/3 I'd have them finishing behind GB and Chicago this season. I watched that Bears/Raider game and Fields is already looking a lot more comfortable back there @ QB. 

The Vikings schemes and general approach to the game feel old and staid...

I'm ready to move on as a fan; and I like Zimmer too. 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@HappyViking said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:

Lets celebrate the good:
  • A winning field goal 
  • JJ
  • Cousins
  • Kendricks
  • Mattison
  • Hunter and Griffen
  • PP

Season 8. 

Spent $$ on FA's like Pierce, Tomlinson, PP, Woods.

Why is our expectations with an offense loaded with talent, adds several defensive starters, and we only expect 8-9 wins?  (I don't disagree)

I never believed this is a loaded defense.  Sure we get an aging Griff back, Barr, and of course Danielle is still awesome, but I wasn't sure he'd be 100% coming back.  I guess I thought the D would be better than last season, but I didn't really believe they were "loaded" with top talent.
I had never heard much of Pierce, Tomlinson, Woods, Vigil or Breeland before.  Why would I expect average to slighly above average players that other teams let go suddenly play like All-Pros because they have Viking uniforms on?  Peterson was the lone FA I had heard of before, and everyone was saying he wasn't playing well in recent years.

I still have hope for the offense.  The OL still might gel but it usually takes time.

My notion is if the team isn't above 500 the week before the trade deadline,   start moving pieces that are not likely to be playing at a high level for us in 2 years.  As soon as the team is eliminated from the playoffs ,  start the coaching search,  unless they decide to fire spielman then I say start the GM search.  No point in waiting until more teams jump in the mix.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Tyr said:
It was a game that should have been a blowout, but instead came down to a last second field goal. There were a couple drive killing penalties. The TEs were bad today. Conklin had one nice catch, Herndon had two penalties, and it felt like a lot of targets bounced off of the TEs hands. Not sure what Irv Smith's timeline is, but they definitely miss him out there. There was the usual bad clock management and it was the second time this season where they fumbled trying to run out the clock.

I did think that the defense looked better today, in part because they made some big plays when Detroit was threatening to score, but that is part of what the D is supposed to do. Patrick Peterson had a nice game, it was nice to see Barr back, and Hunter and Griffen were active.

I do feel like Zimmer's window is closing and it is probably time to make a change in direction. The question is whether they can bring in a new coach and/or GM without needing to blow things up. I think there are some really good pieces on the roster, but they need a modern offensive mind at the helm to get the most of out of them.
This is a level headed post but Zimmer's window is closed. It's ridiculous to think in 2021 that you can run out the clock on folks and it's an easy W. Also, the Lions have arguably the bottom 5 worst defense in the NFL and we chose not to be aggressive on them, most likely because Zimmer liked how little points his defense gave up. This model has run its course and it's time to move on. As for Barr, did he play today?
I don't think you are wrong, Zimmer is committed to running out the clock and keeping the ball away from the opposing offense. It's a good way of protecting the defense, but they have enough talent on offense that they should be trying to get up by two or more scores. Instead, they continue to grind the clock away, run on second and long or maybe run a screen that everyone knows is coming and then eventually getting a holding call and run again. There have been a few times this year where they've keep throwing after a holding call and they have had good success, but they are so afraid of not making mistakes, that it is holding the offense back.

I know that on Sunday, Detroit was playing a lot of two deep safety looks, which they claim were limiting the opportunities downfield, but they have enough talent with their receivers that they should be able to win those matchups and take advantage of a battered Detroit secondary. With how well Jefferson was playing yesterday, there is no reason why he shouldn't have had a couple deep shots. As for Barr, I think he is a big part of the run defense. He's always had really good range and does a good job of limiting gains to the outside, which has been hurting the team this year. He didn't have much if any impact as a pass rusher and he didn't stand out on coverage, but Detroit does have a couple of good backs and they didn't let it get out of hand.

"I don't know how they do this every week."

They do it every year, Peter. It is not at all myopic to recognize that the Vikings have more WTF games in their history than any other team. 

https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/14479401...78560?s=20