Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scoggins: Vikings' Spielman is low on chips in high-stakes roster game
Quote: @Jor-El said:

That doesn't excuse Spielman, because I really think his biggest claim to being a good GM has been that he hired Zimmer. He has a terrible draft record after the 3rd round, and he accumulates a lot of 1st-round picks but has missed on at least half of them (10 #1s since 2011, only Smith and Rhodes were big hits). Free agents - meh. So if Zimmer turns out to be a mistake, why keep Spielman?
What is the league average success rate in drafting, and how does Spielman compare?

Looks like Chippy edited his headline as it now reads: 
Scoggins: Vikings' Spielman is feeling pressure in critical season

I'm not predicting that the team will have a poor defense, or that Zimmer will fail. But last year, his defense broke at key points and his players often looked lost. I hope it was a 2016 aberration, but if it continues, stats won't save him.

My question is : Why WOULDN'T Ricky FINALLY be on the hot seat?

This is his 12th season in Winter Park. He has ALWAYS been in charge of both College and Professional Scouting departments, and with the title of VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL, I'm guessing he had some input into MOST, if not all, personnel decisions. Call me crazy for coming to that wacky conclusion.

1 playoff win since 2006 is just unacceptable, especially when I keep hearing about what a "winning" organization the Vikings are!! LMAO! They've been the epitome of mediocre this century!

I see that fans defend Saint Richard by focusing on individual draft picks or trades, but ALWAYS overlook the most important statistic.....WINNING. 

The vast majority of successful teams have one thing in common : The TEAM exceeds the sum of it's parts. It doesn't matter how many Pro Bowlers you draft or how young/old the roster is. If you don't WIN, it means Jack Schitt. 

Hopefully the Wilf's are seeing through his bullshit and will start focusing on his incredible lack of success. No more excuses this year. A deep playoff run or Ricky Gotta Go!!!!

11 years, ONE playoff win. That sucks, end of story.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I have a hard time blaming any of this on Spielman. The talent is there. The drafts have been good. And this notion from the article that Spielman foolishly entrusted his nickel corner spot to a 2nd year, 2nd round corner who is IDEALLY suited to play nickel is just ridiculous. 

I know it won't be popular, but I put Zimmer on the hot seat before Spielman. I'm just not convinced he's the great coach many think he is. 
They are tied together, if Spielman goes Zim goes with, and Zim lost the team last year.

Quote: @NoGoingBack said:
#3 overall defense. #3 overall pass defense. Not as good on the rushing side, but complaining about a unit that went from dead last to 3rd in 3 years seems a bit like you might be suffering from confirmation bias.

If the defense falters then yes that's all on Zim, and strong defense is the reason he's here. And he's built one, and the numbers back him up.

Seems like a lot of folks take that for granted, but it isn't, and if we move on from Zim you can expect the defense to get worse. Would it be worth it for the offensive side? Could be, but you've got to at least be realistic about the tradeoff you'd be making.
Who's the head coach? Zimmer 

It's great that the defense has been turned around but the offense is still below Fraziers offense and I didn't think that was possible. 

Quote: @njvike said:

This is his 12th season in Winter Park. He has ALWAYS been in charge of both College and Professional Scouting departments, and with the title of VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL, I'm guessing he had some input into MOST, if not all, personnel decisions. Call me crazy for coming to that wacky conclusion.

1 playoff win since 2006 is just unacceptable, especially when I keep hearing about what a "winning" organization the Vikings are!! LMAO! They've been the epitome of mediocre this century!

I see that fans defend Saint Richard by focusing on individual draft picks or trades, but ALWAYS overlook the most important statistic.....WINNING. 

The vast majority of successful teams have one thing in common : The TEAM exceeds the sum of it's parts. It doesn't matter how many Pro Bowlers you draft or how young/old the roster is. If you don't WIN, it means Jack Schitt. 

Hopefully the Wilf's are seeing through his bullshit and will start focusing on his incredible lack of success. No more excuses this year. A deep playoff run or Ricky Gotta Go!!!!

Putting aside the monotony of your endless one note piano posts about RS, who do you think hired him in the first place and have kept him around for 12 years?   This notion that the Wilfs are football guys and they just need to "see through Rick's b.s." is LAUGHABLE.   They are the idiots who hired Foley, hired Childress without so much as interviewing another candidate, and then did the same with Les Frazier, and only after 7 years of futility (not including one year of rent-a-Favre which was essentially effed up by their hand picked coach Chili) did they decide to ditch the triangle of stupidity and actually put RS in charge of football operations.  

Whether you like him as some do, or have some obsessive hatred of him as you do, doesn't really matter, because if your wish that he be gone comes true after this season, you'd better hope that idiot Zygmunt somehow has learned after 12 years of ownership to hire someone better.   I don't see it.  Be careful what you wish for, you might someone a whole lot worse.   And if one playoff win in 12 years is the most important criteria, then why have the brilliant Wilfs you are so confident in sat on their hands for 12 years putting up with that?   Maybe the truth is they are mediocre owners and you'll just be crying about the next g.m. they hire after he's failed to make improvements over time.  

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@NoGoingBack said:
#3 overall defense. #3 overall pass defense. Not as good on the rushing side, but complaining about a unit that went from dead last to 3rd in 3 years seems a bit like you might be suffering from confirmation bias.

If the defense falters then yes that's all on Zim, and strong defense is the reason he's here. And he's built one, and the numbers back him up.

Seems like a lot of folks take that for granted, but it isn't, and if we move on from Zim you can expect the defense to get worse. Would it be worth it for the offensive side? Could be, but you've got to at least be realistic about the tradeoff you'd be making.
Who's the head coach? Zimmer 

It's great that the defense has been turned around but the offense is still below Fraziers offense and I didn't think that was possible. 
Going into year 4 and Zimmer has produced decent defense as expected but bottom of the barrel offense.   It was revealed that one reason he did interviews for so long without getting hired was that teams would ask him about what his staff would look like and who he'd hire and he'd dismiss that with "I'll figure that out once you hire me."  And it appears maybe he did just that, as he felt Turner would just produce a good offense and he would not have any responsibility for it, but all that blew up last year in so many ways and it's his fault.  The responsibility lies with the head guy.   This season is a big question mark and a lot of folks including me think it's going to be a .500 (or worse) year.   I guess we'll know a lot more next Monday night.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@njvike said:

Putting aside the monotony of your endless one note piano posts about RS, who do you think hired him in the first place and have kept him around for 12 years?   This notion that the Wilfs are football guys and they just need to "see through Rick's b.s." is LAUGHABLE.   They are the idiots who hired Foley, hired Childress without so much as interviewing another candidate, and then did the same with Les Frazier, and only after 7 years of futility (not including one year of rent-a-Favre which was essentially effed up by their hand picked coach Chili) did they decide to ditch the triangle of stupidity and actually put RS in charge of football operations.  

Whether you like him as some do, or have some obsessive hatred of him as you do, doesn't really matter, because if your wish that he be gone comes true after this season, you'd better hope that idiot Zygmunt somehow has learned after 12 years of ownership to hire someone better.   I don't see it.  Be careful what you wish for, you might someone a whole lot worse.   And if one playoff win in 12 years is the most important criteria, then why have the brilliant Wilfs you are so confident in sat on their hands for 12 years putting up with that?   Maybe the truth is they are mediocre owners and you'll just be crying about the next g.m. they hire after he's failed to make improvements over time.  
Lol! Piss off you little weenie.

Once again you Ricky fluffers side step his LOSING record.

Spin it any way you want, Schpielman is a documented LOSER. As the Wilf's idol, Bill Parcells, says, " You are what your record says you are"

And in Dicky's case, the record proves he's a loser.

But you Rychophants keep desperately trying to defend him! It's actually become comical....please keep it up, because YOUR one note "Ode to Saint Richard" should be coming to an end following a patented Schpielman Special, aka a .500 season with ZERO playoff wins.

Nighty Nite, Slappy. 

Quote: @njvike said:
@comet52 said:
@njvike said:

Lol! Piss off you little weenie.

Once again you Ricky fluffers side step his LOSING record.

Spin it any way you want, Schpielman is a documented LOSER. As the Wilf's idol, Bill Parcells, says, " You are what your record says you are"

And in Dicky's case, the record proves he's a loser.

But you Rychophants keep desperately trying to defend him! It's actually become comical....please keep it up, because YOUR one note "Ode to Saint Richard" should be coming to an end following a patented Schpielman Special, aka a .500 season with ZERO playoff wins.

Nighty Nite, Slappy. 

The Wilfs idol doesn't seem capable of helping them to build a winner.   The Wilfs love them some Rick Spielman, heck, he might be here another 10 years.. I think Zygmunt knows he is a complete moron when it comes to hiring and he probably will stick with what he knows - a guy who runs his team competently if not brilliantly, and keeps the revenue coming in.   A guy who's served him loyally for 12 years, a company man.  That's what powerful guys like, someone who says yes.  

That's all that really matters to Zygmunt anyway, the cash-ola.   He could give a shit about your hopes and dreams--your still believing in him like a child believes in Santa after 12 years of his crap football is proof of that.   You are another Wilf sucker who has invented his own peculiar hate fantasy that RS somehow is the key to it all, oh yes, please Mister Wilf get rid of Evil Ricky, I put pins in my Evil Ricky doll tonight and posted another hundred times on the message board to make it come true!  Talk about a slappy, lol.