Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still don't get the Cousins hate....
Quote: @pattersaur said:
@HappyViking said:
Where does everyone see the
"Cousins hate" posts?   Maybe I missed them, but I haven't seen any recently. 

I want him to do well, but I still don't expect him to be this great leader.  His record as a starter is average, and he's never lead a team deep
into the playoffs, so fans question if he's a franchise QB or not.  It's
not like he's a rising young QB that just needs a few seasons under his belt to
bloom into greatness.

To me Cousins is exactly what we see. 
He can make some awesome throws, but really doesn't strike fear to opposing
defenses.  Before he was a Viking, I never worried about KC when the Vikes played
Washington.  I think he's better now, but I certainly don't feel like the
Vikes have an "elite" QB that other teams fear. 

Surround him with a great OL, RB, WRs, TEs, then throw in a top 10 D, and then let’s see what happens.  He should get the
Vikes their money's worth then, right?
This. 

Might be different if I lived in the twin cities and listened to sports radio every day, then maybe I’d be exposed to more of Kirk’s haters? Sure a lot of people wish he was even better, but I don’t hear anyone saying he sucks.
Give it a minute.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
One ring cures everything...Go re-read the tale of John Elway. 
hes still a douche bag... rings and all.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@HappyViking said:
Where does everyone see the
"Cousins hate" posts?   Maybe I missed them, but I haven't seen any recently. 

I want him to do well, but I still don't expect him to be this great leader.  His record as a starter is average, and he's never lead a team deep
into the playoffs, so fans question if he's a franchise QB or not.  It's
not like he's a rising young QB that just needs a few seasons under his belt to
bloom into greatness.

To me Cousins is exactly what we see. 
He can make some awesome throws, but really doesn't strike fear to opposing
defenses.  Before he was a Viking, I never worried about KC when the Vikes played
Washington.  I think he's better now, but I certainly don't feel like the
Vikes have an "elite" QB that other teams fear. 

Surround him with a great OL, RB, WRs, TEs, then throw in a top 10 D, and then let’s see what happens.  He should get the
Vikes their money's worth then, right?
This. 

Might be different if I lived in the twin cities and listened to sports radio every day, then maybe I’d be exposed to more of Kirk’s haters? Sure a lot of people wish he was even better, but I don’t hear anyone saying he sucks.
to some its a matter of you are either totally on his jock or you are a hater...   its that way with everything in todays society, there is no middle of the road,  you are either all in or you are a hater.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Horse face and all.

[Image: wirzhiru2ca7.jpg]

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Horse face and all.

I wanted to like it and laugh at it so......  =)

Quote: @Wetlander said:
The tweet is one example of an extreme...  but is the extreme take an accurate representation of those that think the Vikings can do better at QB? 

It's like the pro-Cousins fans that keep spouting the tweet that says Cousins is 5-1 with a ridiculously high QB rating when pressured under 20% or whatever it is in 2020.  How much you wanna bet that stat was from both Lions games, Jacksonville, Cowboys, Texans, and the Panthers?  All teams that drafted in the top 10 and were awful pressuring the QB.  Sure it'd be great if we could play trash teams for all 17 weeks of the regular season, but sooner or later you're going to play a good team, especially in the playoffs.

The fact is Cousins is not an elite QB.  He's like Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Jimmy G, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, etc. who can all play well and lead the team to the playoffs when they have a great team around them, but they aren't elevating a good (flawed) roster to the playoffs.

This discussion is getting stale.
Stats.  They can be twisted to mean whatever you want.  Like the OP, the original was hyperbole for sure, ridiculous.  The answer was just as bad.  "4 of them have occurred in the 4th Quarter down 20+ points"  20+ points, yeah that doesn't happen often and a stats guy would know that.

I'm not a hater just not a huge fan. IMO Cousins is missing an internal intangible. He seems like a system QB. If the system breaks down so does Cousins. IMO most QBs who win the big games have the ability to will something or scramble, or do something that transcends. He seems to lack the heroic qualities we love in a QB. Cousins is a better QB but you remember when Case Keenam would play like superman at times. Ok blast away.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Horse face and all.

I am not looking up stats but if I remember correctly Elway won a SB (and maybe even MVP) with horrible stats.  I think around 120 yards passing?  But the helicopter highlight made him look like a super hero so...  T Davis won those Super Bowls.  I personally have always thought Elway was overrated.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Horse face and all.

I am not looking up stats but if I remember correctly Elway won a SB (and maybe even MVP) with horrible stats.  I think around 120 yards passing?  But the helicopter highlight made him look like a super hero so...  T Davis won those Super Bowls.  I personally have always thought Elway was overrated.  
The league is known to romanticize a narrative whenever it suits their purposes. Look at how they comment on New Orleans Super Bowl win. They try to shine it up all pretty but we know the reality.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Couldn't agree more.  Cousins doesn't deserve the $hitstorm he gets.
He's a damn good QB, and we are fortunate to have him.

We will like 12 games last year if our defense holds our opposition to under 30 points.

His CONTRACT however.....is like a kick in the pills
Interesting thing about that contract is that the one we gave him back in 2018--the one that everyone screamed about, the one that made him the highest paid player in NFL history (for about 5 minutes)--would rank somewhere in the middle of the pack right now among QBs.

And even with his extension, his average per year ranks 7th and his guaranteed money ranks 9th.

Just not so sure that's so far out of line with where he ranks in terms of performance.

Easy to see that looking back. For me it was more about the impact the contract had on the ability to maintain and construct the rest of the team around him than simply his performance. I felt the contract tied their hands a little bit when it came to free agency and resigning some of their own players. They seemed to trade offensive improvement at the expense of the defense.
As an aside, I have always wondered how the other teams felt about the precedence of a fully guaranteed contract.