Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kellen Mond over Davis Mills....why?
Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@MaroonBells said:
Probably because Mond offers more in the way of mobility and running ability. Plus, there are a lot of little things that suggest we may not have seen the best from Mond yet. Like Mond winning against very good teams, improving every season, etc. 

I didn't really pay much attention to Davis but I know not all teams were sold on his shoulder. I also know he can't move. He's probably less mobile than Kirk Cousins. 

What I'm curious about is if the Vikings would've taken Trask if he'd been there. 
Mills did run an unofficial 4.58 forty at his pro day, so I'm not so sure about that lack of mobility.
Running a forty is one thing, being a good runner is another. Mills' total rushing stats at Stanford were 86 total yards, meaning he likes to be a pocket passer. Mond on the other hand, ran for over 1,600 yards. While I'm not the highest on Mond, he is certainly a good runner where the jury is still out on Mills
Yeah, it's like comparing Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum. Which is more elusive? That's obvious. But their 40 times were similar: Cousins 4.84 and Keenum 4.82. Pocker passers like Carson Palmer (4.65) and Andrew Luck (4.59) were nowhere near as elusive as, say, Patrick Mahomes (4.8). I think mobility in the pocket is more about vision and quickness than speed. 

All that said, Mond isn't particularly elusive either. But he is a guy who can hurt you with the run. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@MaroonBells said:
Probably because Mond offers more in the way of mobility and running ability. Plus, there are a lot of little things that suggest we may not have seen the best from Mond yet. Like Mond winning against very good teams, improving every season, etc. 

I didn't really pay much attention to Davis but I know not all teams were sold on his shoulder. I also know he can't move. He's probably less mobile than Kirk Cousins. 

What I'm curious about is if the Vikings would've taken Trask if he'd been there. 
Mills did run an unofficial 4.58 forty at his pro day, so I'm not so sure about that lack of mobility.
Running a forty is one thing, being a good runner is another. Mills' total rushing stats at Stanford were 86 total yards, meaning he likes to be a pocket passer. Mond on the other hand, ran for over 1,600 yards. While I'm not the highest on Mond, he is certainly a good runner where the jury is still out on Mills
Yeah, it's like comparing Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum. Which is more elusive? That's obvious. But their 40 times were similar: Cousins 4.84 and Keenum 4.82. Pocker passers like Carson Palmer (4.65) and Andrew Luck (4.59) were nowhere near as elusive as, say, Patrick Mahomes (4.8). I think mobility in the pocket is more about vision and quickness than speed. 

All that said, Mond isn't particularly elusive either. But he is a guy who can hurt you with the run. 
some guys feel pressure,  some dont, Kirk is dead from the neck down when it comes to knowing when to slide, dip, step up,  etc.... Case did those things without effort... I  wont say Case was the better QB,  but he certainly was the better guy with the ball in his hand when routes were slow to develop.

After reading the article I am really happy we took Mond.  That article to me described a decent fifth round prospect maybe a fourth rounder.  He had a good pro day and played very little and has knee issues.  That all screams fourth or fifth round.  The question I have is if the Texans had a choice who would they have taken Mills or Mond?

@Hawkvike25 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@MaroonBells said:

I miss me some Case Keenum.  Dude might have had a horseshoe up his ass that year but it sure was exciting!!

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@MaroonBells said:

I miss me some Case Keenum.  Dude might have had a horseshoe up his ass that year but it sure was exciting!!
right up until it wasnt.   I think his legend has outgrown reality for some.   despite the success of the team that year,  and him making some unbelievable escapes when protection wasnt there,  his lack of arm strength was very detrimental to play calling and really limited the offenses ability to use the sidelines or a deep threat consistently.

Spent some time this weekend watching a few Kellen Mond games. Not his highlights, but the "every throw" games against Clemson, Alabama and North Carolina. I liked him before as a good backup and a longshot starting QB, but I like him a lot more now.

I think he has a very real chance to be our QBOTF. He gets pressured a ton, but is very accurate on both pressured throws and when he gets time. He'll make a boneheaded throw every now and then, but so does Aaron Rodgers.

Another exciting thing is that he seems to not just improve year over year, but during the course of a game. He's a better 2nd half QB than 1st half QB. Who knows--might just be the kind of QB with some late game IT factor. Can't wait for the preseason. 

Spent some time this weekend watching a few Kellen Mond games. Not his highlights, but the "every throw" games against Clemson, Alabama and North Carolina. I liked him before as a good backup and a longshot starting QB, but I like him a lot more now.

I think he has a very real chance to be our QBOTF. He gets pressured a ton, but is very accurate on both pressured throws and when he gets time. He'll make a boneheaded throw every now and then, but so does Aaron Rodgers.

Another exciting thing is that he seems to not just improve year over year, but during the course of a game. He's a better 2nd half QB than 1st half QB. Who knows--might just be the kind of QB with some late game IT factor. Can't wait for the preseason. 
I am hoping he is a leader like Teddy.  He appears to have a better physical skillset than Teddy.  Kirk for all of his talent and stats just isnt a leader of men.  

What I really like is that those were games against the best teams in the nation and that is the level of competition he played agains for 4 years as a starter.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@MaroonBells said:

What I really like is that those were games against the best teams in the nation and that is the level of competition he played agains for 4 years as a starter.  
Yes, but he also went 10-30 for 93 yards and 3 picks vs. LSU in 2019 and then 11-34 for 105 yards vs. them in 2020. The talent is there, the consistency is not. Hopefully with time that changes.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JR44 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yes, but he also went 10-30 for 93 yards and 3 picks vs. LSU in 2019 and then 11-34 for 105 yards vs. them in 2020. The talent is there, the consistency is not. Hopefully with time that changes.
His inconsistency is what he's most consistent at. Maddening.