Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darnold traded to Panthers
I'll say this - living in the NYC area and seeing it up close, the Jets have been a complete joke the past few years. They gave that kid absolutely nothing as far as surrounding cast nor developmental plans. Gase was a train wreck as a coach and I'm not surprised at all that Darnold did not play well. With that being said, he does have some quality tools, and going to a team like the Panthers who have some playmakers (CMC, DJ Moore, Robby Anderson), a really good offensive mind in Joe Brady, and a new owner willing to spend big is going to help him big time. Now it's on him to put it all together.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
I'll say this - living in the NYC area and seeing it up close, the Jets have been a complete joke the past few years. They gave that kid absolutely nothing as far as surrounding cast nor developmental plans. Gase was a train wreck as a coach and I'm not surprised at all that Darnold did not play well. With that being said, he does have some quality tools, and going to a team like the Panthers who have some playmakers (CMC, DJ Moore, Robby Anderson), a really good offensive mind in Joe Brady, and a new owner willing to spend big is going to help him big time. Now it's on him to put it all together.
I dont think these kids just flat out suck or dont suck coming out of college,  IMO much more of their success is based on the team and staff that they are drafted into.  some of it is the player of course,  but athletes dont completely lose their ability to play a game just by jumping one step in terms of competition.  some coaching staffs are able to grow players and some just seem to use them for what they can get and discard them.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
I dont think these kids just flat out suck or dont suck coming out of college,  IMO much more of their success is based on the team and staff that they are drafted into.  some of it is the player of course,  but athletes dont completely lose their ability to play a game just by jumping one step in terms of competition.  some coaching staffs are able to grow players and some just seem to use them for what they can get and discard them.  
Some is on the player and their dedication to the craft.  Like Jamarcus Russell.  But yes, having coaches that can teach, having a team around them to model how to study film, be professional, excel... that is a huge variable.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
Some is on the player and their dedication to the craft.  Like Jamarcus Russell.  But yes, having coaches that can teach, having a team around them to model how to study film, be professional, excel... that is a huge variable.
some you just know are going to fail,   Russell, Manzel, (any QB from southern california) most QBs from west of the rockies.... etc,  but yet the hype machine gets us going and we buy in...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
If Darnold was in this draft class, knowing what you know now,  where do you slot him? Best I can go is QB4.
Knowing what i know now? No better than six. And probably below Mond. 

Kim Jones
@KimJonesSports
· 17m
Joe Douglas: If #NYJ were “a little later” (than 2nd overall), we would have been comfortable going forward with Sam Darnold.

Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoSNY
· 12m
Jets GM Joe Douglas’ thoughts on ESPN analyst/HoF QB Steve Young saying the Jets are “committed” to BYU QB Zach Wilson at the No. 2 pick:

“Steve’s plugged in to BYU pretty well.”

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
What??!! How does this make any sense? I really thought the Panthers were going to be one of the major players in either the Watson trade or moving up big to land their franchise QB.

Instead of that, they send a 6th rounder a couple of future picks for Sam Darnold? I think Darnold has been hurt by his surround, but is this even an upgrade over Teddy? I'm not even sure it is. 

One interesting thing about this is that it almost certainly means that all five QBs are going in the top 7. IMO, Panthers don't make that trade unless they know all 5 QBs are spoken for. 
Watson has other things to worry about right now. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
What??!! How does this make any sense? I really thought the Panthers were going to be one of the major players in either the Watson trade or moving up big to land their franchise QB.

Instead of that, they send a 6th rounder a couple of future picks for Sam Darnold? I think Darnold has been hurt by his surround, but is this even an upgrade over Teddy? I'm not even sure it is. 

One interesting thing about this is that it almost certainly means that all five QBs are going in the top 7. IMO, Panthers don't make that trade unless they know all 5 QBs are spoken for. 
Watson has other things to worry about right now. 
My point is....their interest in Watson indicated to me they wanted to make a BIG move. This isn't a BIG move. It's barely an upgrade. Is it even an upgrade? I'm not so sure of that.  We'll have to see how things turn out 2, 3 years down the road, but if I were to make a bet on which QB will be better at that point, how many people here would be willing to put good money that QB will be Darnold over Teddy?  OK, they're not betting very much, but I want no part of that. That's an even bet in my mind. Unless there's something about Teddy we don't know, which is possible.