Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings get a new OL. Mason Cole
I like that the Vikings didn't just go with the next free agent guard on the list. Instead, they did their research and invested some draft capital on a guy that works for them. 

We all batted around Forrest Lamp and Lane Taylor and a few others, but we're gamblers. Clearly, Vikings had other ideas. Lamp has enormous upside, but he's been hurt almost every season he's been a pro. Taylor not much different. Cole's draft profile calls him: "Beyond durable...incredible durability dating all the way back to his high school days."

I like that he's just 24. Younger than Garrett Bradbury. So he's still developing. Vikings don't draft OL particularly well, so instead of drafting the next Willie Beavers, they go get a very young middle round guard and pay a 6th for him. If he plays well, Cole can be a long-term answer. Might they be thinking the same at LT? 

I like that his PFF pass blocking grades his two starts at guard would rank higher than any of our interior linemen graded last year. And both against pretty good DLs in Tampa and San Francisco. 

I can't believe that he gave up a pick. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I like that the Vikings didn't just go with the next free agent guard on the list. Instead, they did their research and invested some draft capital on a guy that works for them. 

We all batted around Forrest Lamp and Lane Taylor and a few others, but we're gamblers. Clearly, Vikings had other ideas. Lamp has enormous upside, but he's been hurt almost every season he's been a pro. Taylor not much different. Cole's draft profile calls him: "Beyond durable...incredible durability dating all the way back to his high school days."

I like that he's just 24. Younger than Garrett Bradbury. So he's still developing. Vikings don't draft OL particularly well, so instead of drafting the next Willie Beavers, they go get a very young middle round guard and pay a 6th for him. If he plays well, Cole can be a long-term answer. Might they be thinking the same at LT? 

I like that his PFF pass blocking grades his two starts at guard would rank higher than any of our interior linemen graded last year. And both against pretty good DLs in Tampa and San Francisco. 
when you put it that way...

But then on the flip side, I hear we brought him in just to bolster Tomlinson's ego in practice.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

when you put it that way...

But then on the flip side, I hear we brought him in just to bolster Tomlinson's ego in practice.
Win win. 

Interesting takes. When I saw this on twitter, most of the armchair reactions were pretty negative. 

@Vikergirl shared the hypnotic posts/responses earlier. Well, they've done some editing in the replies to this trade announcement.

[Image: ExWMAs4WYAUr4q5?format=jpg&name=large]

Quote: @Nichelle said:
Interesting takes. When I saw this on twitter, most of the armchair reactions were pretty negative. 

@Vikergirl shared the hypnotic posts/responses earlier. Well, they've done some editing in the replies to this trade announcement.

I'm betting purple twitter would've been stoked by a Forrest Lamp signing...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
 So he's still developing. 
That should stop once Rick Dennison gets ahold of him.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
 So he's still developing. 
That should stop once Rick Dennison gets ahold of him.
Oh you read my mind...

Quote: @Nichelle said:

That's a good point. It's important to be specific.

This trade smells of Jeremiah Sirles but it does sound like Cole has some potential. Happy to bring him in for the price, but penciling him in as a starter is another story. Kyler was running for his life last season, after all. 

If he can be average, we can be happy. Welcome aboard, Cole!