Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Sweet Fancy Moses!
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
I have no interest in this signing or the Peterson signing. Both to me seem like stupid moves for a team in our situation. Moves to excite fans for a few weeks into the season. 
what situation is that?  They are all in with Cousins,  they are shoring up the D with people ready to play.  These moves arent for the future,  these are for a GM and Coach that need 11-12 wins and big playoff run to keep their jobs IMO.
Exactly. We won't get to 11 or 12 wins. Making moves for the coach and GM's jobs rarely work out for the team. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
I have no interest in this signing or the Peterson signing. Both to me seem like stupid moves for a team in our situation. Moves to excite fans for a few weeks into the season. 
what situation is that?  They are all in with Cousins,  they are shoring up the D with people ready to play.  These moves arent for the future,  these are for a GM and Coach that need 11-12 wins and big playoff run to keep their jobs IMO.
Exactly. We won't get to 11 or 12 wins. Making moves for the coach and GM's jobs rarely work out for the team. 
well when they gave that stupid extension to Cousins, Zim, and Spielman,  they essentially sealed this fate for the fans.  I agree its not promising,  but I like it a lot better than what they tried last year so at least we have a season to look forward to at this point.... provided they find at least 1 decent FA OG soon to fill that gaping hole at LG.

@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
well when they gave that stupid extension to Cousins, Zim, and Spielman,  they essentially sealed this fate for the fans.  I agree its not promising,  but I like it a lot better than what they tried last year so at least we have a season to look forward to at this point.... provided they find at least 1 decent FA OG soon to fill that gaping hole at LG.
And you just hit the nail on the head. AT LEAST one decent OG. Our line is not in good shape. But we keep trying to defense our way out of the situation. It doesn't and hasn't worked. It is the definition of insanity. It is the same thing EVERY. DAMN. YEAR. Does anyone even remember when we had a good oline? I don't mean dominant. I just mean good. We have the majority of our team dollars locked up in a QB and asn oline that a dog fart can get through with no problem. 

I am just tired of getting excited for moves that neglect a decade long issue. Sure it will be great to see some good CB (or is it safety?) play but I am tired of watching the QB get murdered nd have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I am tired of watching that harrassment get into the heads of our quarterbacks. 

Whatever happens I will be watching this year and rooting for them. I'm just not that jazzed about the lack of moves that I see as important and bringing in older guys at positions that we seem to always be filling despite spending high draft picks at. 

I am hoping everyone else's enthusiasm and Rah Rah pays off and it works out in our favor. I just see more of the same. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
And you just hit the nail on the head. AT LEAST one decent OG. Our line is not in good shape. But we keep trying to defense our way out of the situation. It doesn't and hasn't worked. It is the definition of insanity. It is the same thing EVERY. DAMN. YEAR. Does anyone even remember when we had a good oline? I don't mean dominant. I just mean good. We have the majority of our team dollars locked up in a QB and asn oline that a dog fart can get through with no problem. 

I am just tired of getting excited for moves that neglect a decade long issue. Sure it will be great to see some good CB (or is it safety?) play but I am tired of watching the QB get murdered nd have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I am tired of watching that harrassment get into the heads of our quarterbacks. 

Whatever happens I will be watching this year and rooting for them. I'm just not that jazzed about the lack of moves that I see as important and bringing in older guys at positions that we seem to always be filling despite spending high draft picks at. 

I am hoping everyone else's enthusiasm and Rah Rah pays off and it works out in our favor. I just see more of the same. 
The Vikings offense averaged 393.3 yards per game, which ranked fourth in the NFL in 2020. The Vikings defense allowed an average of 393.3 yards per game, which ranked27th in the NFL in 2020. That's right, Minnesota netted 6,292 yards and allowed 6,292 net yards.

@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
I totally understand your perspective, Jimmy, and like you I accept we're watching the staff fight to fulfill promises they made and have not achieved. How else do you explain risking Cousins and Jefferson and Thielen in a meaningless game against Detroit to avoid 6-10?

But is this truly better than the 2020 offseason? People here were excited by getting Pierce as much as Tomlinson. Peterson will probably be better than Tajae Sharpe.

Both offseasons the Vikings released a veteran offensive lineman who played well. Josh Kline was apparently too injured to play again so it was more understandable last year. But it looks like Reiff (and Rudolph) were waived so that Zimmer could keep Barr and Smith and add more high level talent to the defense, the area where he is supposed to be able to develop players and invent schemes that make those players effective even if they aren't All-Pros.

The offense is being shortchanged to bolster the defense, as usual. Of course, you could say the defense needed the help. It does - but shouldn't allegedly superior coaching give the defense an edge? My perspective is that the offense, despite a precarious line, saved this team and its staff from a 3-4 win season, and rather than keep it a strength, it is being pulled down so it will likely be closer to the average form of the defensive unit.

I'm cool with moves to shore-up the D...As @StickyBun says this defense was putrid bad last year. Like Ponder and Steckel years bad. 

But if they don't improve the OL (how many types has that been typed over the years) I will continue to be frustrated as a fan. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
I totally understand your perspective, Jimmy, and like you I accept we're watching the staff fight to fulfill promises they made and have not achieved. How else do you explain risking Cousins and Jefferson and Thielen in a meaningless game against Detroit to avoid 6-10?

But is this truly better than the 2020 offseason? People here were excited by getting Pierce as much as Tomlinson. Peterson will probably be better than Tajae Sharpe.

Both offseasons the Vikings released a veteran offensive lineman who played well. Josh Kline was apparently too injured to play again so it was more understandable last year. But it looks like Reiff (and Rudolph) were waived so that Zimmer could keep Barr and Smith and add more high level talent to the defense, the area where he is supposed to be able to develop players and invent schemes that make those players effective even if they aren't All-Pros.

The offense is being shortchanged to bolster the defense, as usual. Of course, you could say the defense needed the help. It does - but shouldn't allegedly superior coaching give the defense an edge? My perspective is that the offense, despite a precarious line, saved this team and its staff from a 3-4 win season, and rather than keep it a strength, it is being pulled down so it will likely be closer to the average form of the defensive unit.

you have to keep Smith over Rudy, ( I loved them both, but its a good decision) Smith is still a game changer that is honestly the guy that makes our D work (despite the belief by many that its Barr) when we have adequate DT play.  Rudy is a good posession receiver,  but he doesnt really make the defenses change what they are doing as he is lacking the athleticism to stretch the middle of the defense and force teams to change personell.

Barr,  well that was another issue of a stupid contract,  Wilson showed more last year despite poor DT play in front of him than Barr has in a long time. If Barrs deal wouldnt have been so Fd up, IMO the smart move would have been to dump Barr and resign Wilson,  but with so much dead money,  it made it impossible to walk away from Barr at this point.  

Losing Reiff will sting,  unless they pull something major out of their ass with OBrown,  or get a day 1 starter our of either Cleveland or the draft,  but yes they still need to  work FA for another starter for the LG position IMO.

@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:

you have to keep Smith over Rudy, ( I loved them both, but its a good decision) Smith is still a game changer that is honestly the guy that makes our D work (despite the belief by many that its Barr) when we have adequate DT play.  Rudy is a good posession receiver,  but he doesnt really make the defenses change what they are doing as he is lacking the athleticism to stretch the middle of the defense and force teams to change personell.

Barr,  well that was another issue of a stupid contract,  Wilson showed more last year despite poor DT play in front of him than Barr has in a long time. If Barrs deal wouldnt have been so Fd up, IMO the smart move would have been to dump Barr and resign Wilson,  but with so much dead money,  it made it impossible to walk away from Barr at this point.  

Losing Reiff will sting,  unless they pull something major out of their ass with OBrown,  or get a day 1 starter our of either Cleveland or the draft,  but yes they still need to  work FA for another starter for the LG position IMO.
Where is the money for a UFA OG? Spotrac shows cap space without Peterson as something under $8M; he's going to take at least a big chunk of that. Some more seems to be coming from switching Rudolph to post-June 1, but that's probably for draft picks. I think we just used the OL money on Peterson. Daddy Zimmer took the grocery money to get his CB fix.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:

Where is the money for a UFA OG? Spotrac shows cap space without Peterson as something under $8M; he's going to take at least a big chunk of that. Some more seems to be coming from switching Rudolph to post-June 1, but that's probably for draft picks. I think we just used the OL money on Peterson. Daddy Zimmer took the grocery money to get his CB fix.
that 8m has to be after Peterson,  before PP they were saying around 17 million.   Rudy post June 1 will push it up to about 20,  9 for Peterson,  still leaves around 10+ with only about 6 (or less) needed to sign rookies.   I think if they can find the right young OL help where they should be comfortable giving him a multi year deal so they can justify a back loaded deal.

@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:

There's an excellent article on Barr that I'll have to find and repost. There's a lot he does in Zimmer's scheme that doesn't necessarily show up in the box score. Basically, OCs need to account for him, he frees up others, and he along with Smith are chess pieces.