Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru: Vikings Mock Off-Season Plan
solidfy the OL to at worst NFL average, check. 

Adding one last young talented CB piece, check. 

maintaining if not upgrading safety play. check

bringing in an interior pass rush presence to team up with Pierce, double check. 

revitalizing ST. check

yes, this a winner.  With good health, player development, this is a top 10 defense, maybe even better depending how well the pass rush evolves

Better OL with the weapons plus a top 10 defense is a SB contender

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Quote:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Hopefully Mrs. Spielman nixes another CB pick.
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Oh, if I'm bringing in a ST guy, it's Patterson. 

Smile 
It all comes down to how much trust you have in Mike Hughes. Personally you can't rely on him with the neck issue. So you're left with Kris Boyd, Harrison Hand, or Chris Jones starting on the outside. So some how, some way, CB is still a very big need.

Although I think the Vikings would consider bringing Patterson back I don't foresee that happening it was a bad breakup.  
Obviously a lot of people dislike the idea of picking a CB in round 1, but are also not completely surprised because we have done it so often. So maybe you are doing a sound public service by preparing us for what may be inevitable.

But I have to ask (again, I know): if Mike Zimmer is such a CB guru (he's called "the cornerback whisperer" by posters and sports writers), why can't he develop some rough lower-round guys into good players at the position? As you said, he might (if Hughes is done) need to rely on Boyd, Hand, or Jones. Well...shouldn't guys like Boyd or Hand, who had fine skills for the position coming from college, and have now had 1-2 years of instruction with The Cornerback Whisperer himself, be better than some kid who was being coached at South Carolina last year??

If Zimmer needs a couple more lumps of clay to mold, I have no problems using a pick or two later in the draft to get him Benjamin St.-Juste or Trill Williams. Coach 'em up, CB Whisperer, I'm sure we'll all be impressed with your results in a year or two!!

Again, we tend to draft to our (alleged) coaching strength. He's worried about "only" having a few promising prospects at CB? Well, the rest of the world is worried about  OG where, just like the past 5 years, we have ZERO promising prospects that might be able to step up. 

Zimmer isn't the CB Whisperer, he's the CB Worrier. Oh no, what if I don't have high draft picks at every position in my defense??  Well, turn Harrison Hand and DJ Wonnum into All-Pros, and then we can say you're a great defensive coach.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Smile 
It all comes down to how much trust you have in Mike Hughes. Personally you can't rely on him with the neck issue. So you're left with Kris Boyd, Harrison Hand, or Chris Jones starting on the outside. So some how, some way, CB is still a very big need.

Although I think the Vikings would consider bringing Patterson back I don't foresee that happening it was a bad breakup.  

What is Mike Hughes status for the upcoming season? Is he still on track to be back? These injuries have sucked because the guy has flashed talent when healthy.  Still only 24 years old, would love to see him put a full healthy season together. 

Now tell us this...what happens if a guy like Fields slips to #14? 

I really hope Hunter has no issues and Michael Pierce works out. 

Great work and most of it sounds great (Ditching Mannion is probably my fav part).

But jeez!
That would be 5 first round CBs in 9 years! And one of those years we didn't even have a 1st round pick (Bradford). Don't do it Rick. We fans can only take so much.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Thank you for considerable time and effort - as always. 

Now I am going to Best Buy and shop for a new tv. 
I will be right behind you.
I know everyone here knows what I'll say so let me say it loud and clear...I WANT A QB!!

Thank you @"Geoff Nichols" for the nice read and fantastic work. I truly am amazed at the insights you and others do with the draft. I love reading and learning especially your reasons for the picks.
If only you guys could add a QB :angry:

@purplefaithful said:

Always happy to speed up the process. Make sure to buy an LG  Wink
Ha!

Actually too late. 

Sprung for LG OLED not that long ago, very glad we spent the extra $$ for OLED.

FANTASTIC TV! 

@purplefaithful said:

Always happy to speed up the process. Make sure to buy an LG  Wink
LG - a Left Guard?? Yes, always on the shopping list here..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Smile 

What is Mike Hughes status for the upcoming season? Is he still on track to be back? These injuries have sucked because the guy has flashed talent when healthy.  Still only 24 years old, would love to see him put a full healthy season together. 
Don't know. The neck injury is extremely concerning now that it has knocked him out of a 2nd season. My guess is they'll just see what happens in camp and hope he can stay healthy. But no way they can pick up the 5th year option.