Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach candidates if we decide to move on
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@minny65 said:
25. Minnesota Vikings: 6-9 (Last week: 17)
Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021? Every team has battled COVID-19 and injuries. Minnesota has done it poorly.
Which team spent the year replacing 8 starters from the prior year's D? 
IDK but who is responsible for for the timing of all those contracts coming up at the same time?  We have praised Brez for many years on that and those are GM calls.  Every team had some players opt-out like Pierce did.  Hunter's injury sucked and he may never come back 100% every team has injuries.  Pierce may not even be the answer in the IDL.

Excuses are endless for every team but I am ready to start anew like the Packers did 2 years ago with replacing McCarthy and Ted Thompson.  I see one of the most balanced and well coached Packer teams I have seen in a long time with Rodgers.  

I call out situation the last few years as a whack-a-mole strategy.  Just when we figured out our offense (numerous OC's) our Defense falls apart for all the reasons above.  Now it is our Defense and ST's.  I have been done with Zimmer since the Eagles debacle after needing a miracle to even get there.  Our team under Zimmer is so inconsistent from game to game.  I want change and a new direction.  I would follow what the Pack did...promote the director of player personnel who then hires his coach.  I am ready for Paton at GM and a HC like Saleh from the 49'ers with a new vision and focus on drafting a QB in a very deep QB draft.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@minny65 said:
Will Mike Zimmer be back in 2021? Every team has battled COVID-19 and injuries. Minnesota has done it poorly.
IDK but who is responsible for for the timing of all those contracts coming up at the same time?  We have praised Brez for many years on that and those are GM calls.  Every team had some players opt-out like Pierce did.  Hunter's injury sucked and he may never come back 100% every team has injuries.  Pierce may not even be the answer in the IDL.

Excuses are endless for every team but I am ready to start anew like the Packers did 2 years ago with replacing McCarthy and Ted Thompson.  I see one of the most balanced and well coached Packer teams I have seen in a long time with Rodgers.  

I call out situation the last few years as a whack-a-mole strategy.  Just when we figured out our offense (numerous OC's) our Defense falls apart for all the reasons above.  Now it is our Defense and ST's.  I have been done with Zimmer since the Eagles debacle after needing a miracle to even get there.  Our team under Zimmer is so inconsistent from game to game.  I want change and a new direction.  I would follow what the Pack did...promote the director of player personnel who then hires his coach.  I am ready for Paton at GM and a HC like Saleh from the 49'ers with a new vision and focus on drafting a QB in a very deep QB draft.

the problem with coordinators is the lack of game management experience (see Zimmer and lots of other awesome coordinators that struggle as HCs)  why not target college HCs with the understanding that they bring in pro DC and OC candidates from successful programs,   who is Salehs asst DC?  bring him in to run our D,  find an asst on a succesful O to run that side,  but let the HC run the games.

Hopefully one day they can get someone like that guy in Cleveland.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@minny65 said:
1. The same team that exhibited false confidence letting four of the starter on defense walk or cut.
2. The same team that knew their priced acquisition on defense Pierce was opting out and placed their confidence on of their own they had groomed
3. The same team that knew their best player on defense had a serious injury, lied about it and never bothered to get adequate replacement, signed a player that was not a good fit just to trade him a few games later (losing a prized draft pick in the process) because again, they were confident in their own guy.
At my count that makes SIX players that they were aware would not be part of the 2020 season (or start of the season in the case of Hunter). 
So you should ask that team what they were thinking when they made those moves and what was their plan to field a competitive team knowing they lost six players (at the time).
I remember what the head coach said...."he had never had a bad defense also said in all confidence and even being somewhat bullish that they will be fine".
So reading that tells me that team was ready for the 2020 season.

So again the team made the decisions and it did not pan out. They should own the outcome. That is what they are paid to do - field a competitive team of their choosing so you cant say the players are subpar. The coaches and GM brought those players in, they coached them, they were boastful about how good they were. Were all starting level players? Probably not but I thought you coach players to get better so you reduce the gap between starters and back ups. So if the gap is as wide as you now claim, then don't blame the player. Blame the guy who misjudged him and thought the "bad" players had a high ceiling.
Let's not even bring covid into it. All teams had that problem

On another note, a team with:
1.  A defensive guru as head coach
2. The head coach calling plays on defense
3. A former head coach and long time serving defensive mind serving as defensive assistant 
4. Two co-defensive coordinators 
Cant field a competitive defense all year and instead blame the players for being subpar. Maybe, just maybe we may wanna look at the coaching side of the equation

Quote: @minny65 said:

Report: P.J. Fleck drawing NFL head coaching interest (msn.com)
I might stop being a Vikes fan if they hire PJ Fleck

I didn't see Bills OC Brian Daboll mentioned.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I didn't see Bills OC Brian Daboll mentioned.
And Daboll may be the most interesting of those mentioned.....

Quote: @mblack said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@minny65 said:
1. The same team that exhibited false confidence letting four of the starter on defense walk or cut.
2. The same team that knew their priced acquisition on defense Pierce was opting out and placed their confidence on of their own they had groomed
3. The same team that knew their best player on defense had a serious injury, lied about it and never bothered to get adequate replacement, signed a player that was not a good fit just to trade him a few games later (losing a prized draft pick in the process) because again, they were confident in their own guy.
At my count that makes SIX players that they were aware would not be part of the 2020 season (or start of the season in the case of Hunter). 
So you should ask that team what they were thinking when they made those moves and what was their plan to field a competitive team knowing they lost six players (at the time).
I remember what the head coach said...."he had never had a bad defense also said in all confidence and even being somewhat bullish that they will be fine".
So reading that tells me that team was ready for the 2020 season.

So again the team made the decisions and it did not pan out. They should own the outcome. That is what they are paid to do - field a competitive team of their choosing so you cant say the players are subpar. The coaches and GM brought those players in, they coached them, they were boastful about how good they were. Were all starting level players? Probably not but I thought you coach players to get better so you reduce the gap between starters and back ups. So if the gap is as wide as you now claim, then don't blame the player. Blame the guy who misjudged him and thought the "bad" players had a high ceiling.
Let's not even bring covid into it. All teams had that problem

Exactly - much of what Spielman/Zimmer claim is bad luck is due to their own bad decisions. And I would add:
#1 - I actually would say they let 5 starters leave: Griffin, Joseph, Rhodes, Waynes, and Alexander - I count nickelback as a starting position. 
#4 - The team that paid a high 2nd to acquire a defensive player on a lame-duck contract without agreeing to an extension beforehand and then had to make a bad trade to lose him after 5 games.

We could add that they counted on guys like Holton Hill (not reliable), Ofeadi Odenigbo (ineffective when playing full time), Pat Elflein (probably was not ever as good as they claimed he was in 2017), and a slew of players they chose in the mid rounds and had previous seasons to develop (Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Ben Gedeon, Armon Watts) but still did not realize they were not up to NFL standards.

And if you do bring Covid into it, how do the Patriots have 8 players opt our, including 3 starters, but have the same record as Zimmer who had 1?