Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it Cousins........or his straight cash homey?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
The issue is the team has NOTHING in the pipeline QB-wise. And this upcoming Draft won't help as Minnesota will probably be picking mid-round in the first and have no 2nd. I don't understand how the team is going to allow Cousins to get paid what he's supposed to get paid on the last year of his contract, it's monstrous.

Most glaring issue of Spielman's career.  He has never had a viable young talent in the pipeline.  I don't fault him terribly for the Ponder pick, he had talent, couldn't get out of his own head.  Liked the Teddy pick, we know how that ended.  Thought the Cousins signing was the best option at the time. 

BUT he never had meaningful talent, day 2 picks, in the QB room. 
Oh I will forever fault the idiots who thought Christian Ponder was a top 15 pick. He was a second or third round pick basically on everyone's mock draft, but yeah, let's draft a guy who had to have his elbow drained multiple times in college. That's one of my least favorite Vikings picks of all time, at the moment and after his career was over. Brutal
uhm... have you ever heard of Demetrius Underwood?
Absolutely, but I was a kid when he was drafted therefore it doesnt resonate as much as Ponder. Williamson was another one but that WR class was brutal to begin with. The 2011 QB class wasnt very deep either but if my memory serves me correct, there were a lot of really good players in that draft taken in the 2nd and 3rd round. Ponder was such a reach and I knew it instantly.
You know who loved the Ponder pick? MB. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12743327]
I hope you're being sarcastic. I wasn't on this board then, but those who know me from previous boards will know that I wouldn't shut up about one QB. Colin Kaepernick. I still have all of those posts, too. Dozens of them. Even got into an email war with a national writer over his ridiculous thought that Ricky Stanzi would be a better QB than Kaepernick. 

But the worst pick wasn't Ponder. Or Underwood. Ponder was a reach but could've turned out OK, and in fact played a few seasons, rode AP to the playoffs one year. Underwood had a mental issue that few knew about. Worst pick in my opinion was Michael Boireau. Vikings took him in the 2nd round and nobody knew who he was. Wasn't on any draft boards at all. He never played. Not a single snap. He was out of the NFL in two years. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
The issue is the team has NOTHING in the pipeline QB-wise. And this upcoming Draft won't help as Minnesota will probably be picking mid-round in the first and have no 2nd. I don't understand how the team is going to allow Cousins to get paid what he's supposed to get paid on the last year of his contract, it's monstrous.

Most glaring issue of Spielman's career.  He has never had a viable young talent in the pipeline.  I don't fault him terribly for the Ponder pick, he had talent, couldn't get out of his own head.  Liked the Teddy pick, we know how that ended.  Thought the Cousins signing was the best option at the time. 

Oh I will forever fault the idiots who thought Christian Ponder was a top 15 pick. He was a second or third round pick basically on everyone's mock draft, but yeah, let's draft a guy who had to have his elbow drained multiple times in college. That's one of my least favorite Vikings picks of all time, at the moment and after his career was over. Brutal
Absolutely, but I was a kid when he was drafted therefore it doesnt resonate as much as Ponder. Williamson was another one but that WR class was brutal to begin with. The 2011 QB class wasnt very deep either but if my memory serves me correct, there were a lot of really good players in that draft taken in the 2nd and 3rd round. Ponder was such a reach and I knew it instantly.

I hope you're being sarcastic. I wasn't on this board then, but those who know me from previous boards will know that I wouldn't shut up about one QB. Colin Kaepernick. I still have all of those posts, too. Dozens of them. Even got into an email war with a national writer over his ridiculous thought that Ricky Stanzi would be a better QB than Kaepernick. 

But the worst pick wasn't Ponder. Or Underwood. Ponder was a reach but could've turned out OK, and in fact played a few seasons, rode AP to the playoffs one year. Underwood had a mental issue that few knew about. Worst pick in my opinion was Michael Boireau. Vikings took him in the 2nd round and nobody knew who he was. Wasn't on any draft boards at all. He never played. Not a single snap. He was out of the NFL in two years. 
Yes, being very sarcastic. You've mentioned many times how much you hated the Ponder pick. 

@StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:

Yeah I don't recall that name. In the case of Ponder, you could make the claim that the sole reason he started for basically two seasons was because he was a first round pick. His stats sucked and that was with a running back who couldnt be tackled. QB's get a lot of scrutiny, but that's because they really can dictate a franchise's success. The Ponder pick made zero sense at the time and you could see it on the field immediately. 

As an Iowa fan, how dare you slam Rick, half kidding. Knew he would never be an NFL starter, but he was fun to watch for the Hawks. A lot more fun than Stanley

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:

Yeah I don't recall that name. In the case of Ponder, you could make the claim that the sole reason he started for basically two seasons was because he was a first round pick. His stats sucked and that was with a running back who couldnt be tackled. QB's get a lot of scrutiny, but that's because they really can dictate a franchise's success. The Ponder pick made zero sense at the time and you could see it on the field immediately. 

As an Iowa fan, how dare you slam Rick, half kidding. Knew he would never be an NFL starter, but he was fun to watch for the Hawks. A lot more fun than Stanley
The thing that probably made Ponder jump from middle rounder to maybe a 2nd rounder (QB desperation was the only reason he went in the 1st) was that he was elected Senior Bowl MVP, but that was one of those ugly games where no one really did anything to deserve it. Ponder just played slightly better than everyone else and they had to give it to someone. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I for one, dont think he is all that bad of a QB, and doesnt deserve much of the blame he gets for “losing” games.  (it was a year ago today, that we came from a huge deficit to beat the Broncos, but hey that was all Diggs, Thielen and Smith.......)

But I think we can all agree that he is being paid beyond his productivity (moreso this year)

IF.....Cousins would restructure a “team friendly...home town discount” that kept him in Minnesota for another five six seasons...

would you want him around?  
would you have him starting / mentoring?

or cut our losses, hope for the best in the draft, and kick him to the curb?
Back to OP and "trying" to add some context from around the NFL:

This season Cousins Cap Hit is the 22nd highest in the NFL at 21 million.  Just above him are guys like Chandler Jones, Jacoby Brissett, Alex Smith, Trent Brown and Derek Carr. Jim Garoppolo is 5th highest Cap Hit at almost 27 million. 

Next season Cousins Cap Hit moves up to 9th highest at 31 million but he will probably fall down further depending on players getting new contracts.  Ahead of Cousins in 2021 listed in order:
Big Ben 41, Ryan 41, Rodgers 36, Bree's 36, Stafford 35, Wentz 35, Goff 35, Wilson 32 then Cousins.  Just below Cousins (again next year 2021) is Tannehill, A Donald and Garoppolo again.

It is 2022 that is clearly time to move on when Cousins cap hit is 41 million with only a dead cap of 10 million.

So with the numbers above next draft/offseason it is a must to get a top QB prospect in the draft with the ole adage of sitting a year to develop and then launch him as the starter in 2022 after taking the 10 million Dead money hit on Cousins. 

So the OP questions:

Would I want Cousins around for 5/6 seasons on a team friendly contract?  No
Would I have him starting and mentoring?  Yes next season he starts and grooms our QB prospect and then cut him heading into 2022.
I think I answered the last question already.

In summary, I actually think Cousins can win some clutch games and then also choke in others.  He was excellent vs the Saints in that playoff upset and he has had some top-notch performances.  Cousins clearly needs a complete supporting staff to win a SB.  There have been worse QB's who have won but they had great Defenses, ST and Coaching.  Guys like Foles, Dilfer, remember Hostettler and a few others. 

I have had more concern about our Coaching/Zimmer in big games then Cousins per say.  I was at the Eagles playoff drubbing where our defense was a complete no-show and got pummeled. It took Diggs miracle to get us there which was not a good sign.  Our defense/team had handled Bree's easily through about 3 quarters and then we suddenly started to choke across the board and on Defense.  It took a miracle to gloss over another choke job by Zimmer (IMHO).  I know, right now most are back on Zim's bandwagon, but really I am not.  I anticipate down this easy stretch of games that we have a clunker or two and even if we squeeze out a playoff birth it will be another tease.   

My overall plan right now is to stick with Cousins through next season, draft a high QB prospect and then cut him after 2021.  Watch the development of the young talent we seem to have added the last few seasons and cut bait on guys like Barr and let Harris move on.  Also cut the bum Kendricks all he does is tackle (checking to see if any one is reading this diatribe).  I am leaning towards moving on from Zimmer but I am all in on keeping Speilman.  I think Spelly is underrated on this site and is seen more highly regarded around the league.  

Quote: @AGRforever said:
It is kind of nice having stability at QB.  Something we haven't had in decades.  That said, Cousins isn't going to win a Superbowl so we probably need to go back to the draft and find one that can. 

This. I personally don't think we can win a SB with Kirk at QB, so he's gotta go. It's that simple for me.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Vanguard83 said:
I for one, dont think he is all that bad of a QB, and doesnt deserve much of the blame he gets for “losing” games.  (it was a year ago today, that we came from a huge deficit to beat the Broncos, but hey that was all Diggs, Thielen and Smith.......)

But I think we can all agree that he is being paid beyond his productivity (moreso this year)

IF.....Cousins would restructure a “team friendly...home town discount” that kept him in Minnesota for another five six seasons...

This season Cousins Cap Hit is the 22nd highest in the NFL at 21 million.  Just above him are guys like Chandler Jones, Jacoby Brissett, Alex Smith, Trent Brown and Derek Carr. Jim Garoppolo is 5th highest Cap Hit at almost 27 million. 

Next season Cousins Cap Hit moves up to 9th highest at 31 million but he will probably fall down further depending on players getting new contracts.  Ahead of Cousins in 2021 listed in order:
Big Ben 41, Ryan 41, Rodgers 36, Bree's 36, Stafford 35, Wentz 35, Goff 35, Wilson 32 then Cousins.  Just below Cousins (again next year 2021) is Tannehill, A Donald and Garoppolo again.

It is 2022 that is clearly time to move on when Cousins cap hit is 41 million with only a dead cap of 10 million.

So with the numbers above next draft/offseason it is a must to get a top QB prospect in the draft with the ole adage of sitting a year to develop and then launch him as the starter in 2022 after taking the 10 million Dead money hit on Cousins. 

So the OP questions:

Would I have him starting and mentoring?  Yes next season he starts and grooms our QB prospect and then cut him heading into 2022.

In summary, I actually think Cousins can win some clutch games and then also choke in others.  He was excellent vs the Saints in that playoff upset and he has had some top-notch performances.  Cousins clearly needs a complete supporting staff to win a SB.  There have been worse QB's who have won but they had great Defenses, ST and Coaching.  Guys like Foles, Dilfer, remember Hostettler and a few others. 

I have had more concern about our Coaching/Zimmer in big games then Cousins per say.  I was at the Eagles playoff drubbing where our defense was a complete no-show and got pummeled. It took Diggs miracle to get us there which was not a good sign.  Our defense/team had handled Bree's easily through about 3 quarters and then we suddenly started to choke across the board and on Defense.  It took a miracle to gloss over another choke job by Zimmer (IMHO).  I know, right now most are back on Zim's bandwagon, but really I am not.  I anticipate down this easy stretch of games that we have a clunker or two and even if we squeeze out a playoff birth it will be another tease.   

My overall plan right now is to stick with Cousins through next season, draft a high QB prospect and then cut him after 2021.  Watch the development of the young talent we seem to have added the last few seasons and cut bait on guys like Barr and let Harris move on.  Also cut the bum Kendricks all he does is tackle (checking to see if any one is reading this diatribe).  I am leaning towards moving on from Zimmer but I am all in on keeping Speilman.  I think Spelly is underrated on this site and is seen more highly regarded around the league.  
Good stuff. Accurate, objective and spot on. Thanks for pulling that together. I tried to write something similar but work kept getting in the way. One question though: doesn't Cousins' 22 salary become fully guaranteed in 21? Seems like I read that it would be more than just a $10M dead cap, but I could be wrong. 

@minny65 said:
@Vanguard83 said:

So the OP questions:

Good stuff. Accurate, objective and spot on. Thanks for pulling that together. I tried to write something similar but work kept getting in the way. One question though: doesn't Cousins' 22 salary become fully guaranteed in 21? Seems like I read that it would be more than just a $10M dead cap, but I could be wrong. 
Thanks.

Oh darn, I was just looking at the Spotrac numbers and didn't see that but the fine print does say that Cousins 22 salary is guaranteed the 3rd day of league start 2021.  I'm sure you guys have been debating this but I haven't been on much so I missed that part and that does change the situation a lot.  So by having Cousins on the roster next year means we have to pay him the next two years at around 66 million for the next 2 years. 

I think we are handcuffed with that (thanks Brzez, you suckSmile

But I still move forward with the plan above and draft a high QB prospect this offseason etc.  Looks like we poison pilled ourselves and will have to take our medicine!  That said at least a rookie prospect shouldn't cost too much for a few years after we do move on from Kirk.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Vanguard83 said:

So the OP questions:

I can live with that...I just think the Vikings are now going to have to look at one of those tier 2 QB's and hope lady luck finally smiles on em. Cause she hasn't been very kind to them for a long time regarding QB. 

WE need some of that Packer, KC luck here in Minny...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@minny65 said:
@Vanguard83 said:

So the OP questions:

I can live with that...I just think the Vikings are now going to have to look at one of those tier 2 QB's and hope lady luck finally smiles on em. Cause she hasn't been very kind to them for a long time regarding QB. 

WE need some of that Packer, KC luck here in Minny...
Yep, its the only shot. Need to get lucky with an underrated QB prospect that takes to the NFL game. Maybe get one before round 7?