Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Getting Calls On Kyle Rudolph
Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:
@MarkSP18 said: It was a bad extension and they'll eventually eat some dead cap space for the mediocre production they get from Rudolph.

Nothing mediocre about his ability to catch. Did you not see his one handed grab against the Saints to give the Vikings a playoff win in the back off the end zone when he was fully covered?

It's not Rudy's fault he doesn't get the targets he once did.

I'm not sure about the dead cap money comment either,... because I think Rudy has a few teams interested in him if the Vikings want to unload him for a late round pick.

What is his trade value? I think it will be based on supply and demand. In a perfect world, Spielman will work a couple of team for the best draft pick right up to the trade deadline.  
That is the thing that blinds people.  Rudy does have good hands and is capable of pulling off one amazing catch a year.

But just like with defenders getting interceptions (Harris comes to mind), people get enamored with the one thing and do not see the whole package.

If the Vikings trade him now or after the season, they will take a 4.35 mil dead money cap hit.  They would save 5.1 mil though.

They prorated his signing bonus over 5 seasons (1.45 mil per season) and he would have 3 seasons left on his deal. 

He wont see the entire deal as he turns 31 in a couple of weeks.

The fact is that there are no other teams in the NFL that drafted TE in the 2nd round and then IMMEDIATELY gave their current TE a sizable extension.

Only one team employed this strategy.

All part of the we're so close delusion that has driven operations the last few years.

They used to be very savvy about frontloading and preserving cap space for contracts but they took to paying big for every vet and overvaluing in some cases (Barr, Rudy). 

They also started doing restructures that hand out big dough with onerous cap implications in order to make room to extend or sign other guys, like guy at a feast who is stuffed full and says lemme put my finger down my throat and barf on the floor so I can have me another plateful.

Rudolph is massively overrated. 
I'm fine with trading him but have you seen Rudolph play at all?  That dude has made some of the most crazy TE catches in the NFL.  His catch radius is as big as any TE and probably better then most WRs. 

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:
@MarkSP18 said: It was a bad extension and they'll eventually eat some dead cap space for the mediocre production they get from Rudolph.

Nothing mediocre about his ability to catch. Did you not see his one handed grab against the Saints to give the Vikings a playoff win in the back off the end zone when he was fully covered?

I'm not sure about the dead cap money comment either,... because I think Rudy has a few teams interested in him if the Vikings want to unload him for a late round pick.

What is his trade value? I think it will be based on supply and demand. In a perfect world, Spielman will work a couple of team for the best draft pick right up to the trade deadline.  
That is the thing that blinds people.  Rudy does have good hands and is capable of pulling off one amazing catch a year.

But just like with defenders getting interceptions (Harris comes to mind), people get enamored with the one thing and do not see the whole package.

If the Vikings trade him now or after the season, they will take a 4.35 mil dead money cap hit.  They would save 5.1 mil though.

They prorated his signing bonus over 5 seasons (1.45 mil per season) and he would have 3 seasons left on his deal. 

The fact is that there are no other teams in the NFL that drafted TE in the 2nd round and then IMMEDIATELY gave their current TE a sizable extension.

All part of the we're so close delusion that has driven operations the last few years.

They used to be very savvy about frontloading and preserving cap space for contracts but they took to paying big for every vet and overvaluing in some cases (Barr, Rudy). 

They also started doing restructures that hand out big dough with onerous cap implications in order to make room to extend or sign other guys, like guy at a feast who is stuffed full and says lemme put my finger down my throat and barf on the floor so I can have me another plateful.

The recent big stupid contracts to guys like Barr and Rudolph really makes you wonder: why were they so merciless in dumping other veterans like Robison?

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"comet52" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:

The recent big stupid contracts to guys like Barr and Rudolph really makes you wonder: why were they so merciless in dumping other veterans like Robison?
Spielman hated him. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
I'm fine with trading him but have you seen Rudolph play at all?  That dude has made some of the most crazy TE catches in the NFL.  His catch radius is as big as any TE and probably better then most WRs. 

I do not understand the purpose of asking if I have seen Rudolph play.  I am posting on this blog which is a clear sign of a fan that watches the games.

His catch radius is not important if he is not getting targets and he is only able to make a couple of snags a year.

That is not worth the salary he is pulling down.

He is taking home 7.35 mil this year and has produced 10 catches for 123 yards and 1 TD which was a great grab and makes people believe he is an All Pro.

Like I said before, I do not mind if they give Rudolph a fairly large extension but doing so right after spending a 2nd round pick on the "heir apparent" was mystifying and no other team does this that I can find.

So far, it is not working.

@"AGRforever" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:

I do not understand the purpose of asking if I have seen Rudolph play.  I am posting on this blog which is a clear sign of a fan that watches the games.

His catch radius is not important if he is not getting targets and he is only able to make a couple of snags a year.

That is not worth the salary he is pulling down.

He is taking home 7.35 mil this year and has produced 10 catches for 123 yards and 1 TD which was a great grab and makes people believe he is an All Pro.

Like I said before, I do not mind if they give Rudolph a fairly large extension but doing so right after spending a 2nd round pick on the "heir apparent" was mystifying and no other team does this that I can find.

So far, it is not working.
his blocking doesnt show up on a stat sheet and its a major part of the role of a TE in a running offense.   not all TEs can even get in the way of a defender let alone effectively block and its a big part of Rudolphs game that has improved a lot from his first getting here.  you take that blocking off the field and a lot of those runs from Cook and Mattison get cut down for losses or short/no gains.  Sure you could replace him on the line with a T-eligible,  but then you lose that receiving threat that dual purpose TE gives you.

Are they prank calls?