Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trevor - Justin - Trey will be walking into a dream with the best RB-WR-WR
No way anyone is trading a first round pick for Kirk. I'd be happy if we got a 3rd rounder for him. No one wants to take on that contract, especially with his stats this year. This is a tough one to swallow and we will most likely be paying someone a crap ton of money to ride the pine next year

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
PICKTEAMRECORDWIN%GBSOS
STREAK
[Image: nyj.png] 
NY Jets
0-6.000--.595Lost 6
[Image: wsh.png] 
Washington
1-5.1671.0.494Lost 5
[Image: nyg.png] 
NY Giants
1-5.1671.0.534Won 1
[Image: atl.png] 
Atlanta
1-5.1671.0.570Won 1
[Image: jax.png] 
Jacksonville
1-5.1671.0.572Lost 5
[Image: min.png] 
Minnesota
1-5.1671.0.580Lost 2
[Image: hou.png] 
Houston
  MIA [Image: mia.png]
1-5.1671.0.601Lost 1
[Image: lac.png] 
LA Chargers
1-4.2001.5.466Lost 4
Why would the Vikings draft behind ATL after ATL just cleaned their clocks?

Oh well, long ways to go yet. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Here is everuthing youd care to know on ditching Cousins. 

https://overthecap.com/what-can-the-vikings-do-with-kirk-cousins/
None of this impacts the decision to draft a QB or not. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

I could not have said it any better

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

No, it does. Because if you were the GM who signed Cousins to that contract and the 2020 extension, you would be doing everything possible to promote the idea it was a good decision, meaning that Cousins is a great QB worth every penny. And that means you don't announce next spring that you need to start training his replacement.

I know, someone will say, "but they should prepare for the possibility that he won't overcome his problems or will get worse". True - but if the GM was doing that, would he have signed a contract that utterly assumes Cousins can't fail?
Put it another way: if you had signed Cousins and thought you might lose your job if he didn't succeed, would you spend any draft pick to replace him, or use that pick to get him another WR, or TE, or RB? (I would include "offensive lineman", but...we live in Viking land...)

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

No, it does. Because if you were the GM who signed Cousins to that contract and the 2020 extension, you would be doing everything possible to promote the idea it was a good decision, meaning that Cousins is a great QB worth every penny. And that means you don't announce next spring that you need to start training his replacement.

I know, someone will say, "but they should prepare for the possibility that he won't overcome his problems or will get worse". True - but if the GM was doing that, would he have signed a contract that utterly assumes Cousins can't fail?
Put it another way: if you had signed Cousins and thought you might lose your job if he didn't succeed, would you spend any draft pick to replace him, or use that pick to get him another WR, or TE, or RB? (I would include "offensive lineman", but...we live in Viking land...)

So, who is Rick going to get to believe that it was a good decision? Is there more than one person on planet earth that thinks signing Cousins was a good move?
Look, the best thing that could ever happen for Rick is for the Vikings to not win another game. Mike Florio says that the GM and coach are going to be back next season. If we don't get the first pick in the draft then trade anything or everything to get it and take Trevor. Put Cousins on the bench and make him watch for his pay. Then when we're 14-2 Rick will look like a genius. 

Quote: @FLVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

So, who is Rick going to get to believe that it was a good decision? Is there more than one person on planet earth that thinks signing Cousins was a good move?
Look, the best thing that could ever happen for Rick is for the Vikings to not win another game. Mike Florio says that the GM and coach are going to be back next season. If we don't get the first pick in the draft then trade anything or everything to get it and take Trevor. Put Cousins on the bench and make him watch for his pay. Then when we're 14-2 Rick will look like a genius. 
I think the Jets (likely #1 draft - they are leading and look like they will not try to win any games) want Trevor Lawrence, and if you really are committed to trade "anything and everything", would you include Danielle Hunter and Justin Jefferson to move up? Because it might take that. I am in the "Hell no" camp for either of them, and no matter how good Lawrence might be, he can't make this team 14-2 on his own.

I think that Spielman has proven to be stubborn if nothing at all.  His penchant for sticking with failed draft picks (Treadwell & Elflein) boggles the mind.

After handing Cousins 41 mil this year and forcing himself to give him at least another 21 mil next year is truly astounding.

But, it's only money and none of it is ours. Not really the Wilfs either since the TV revenue sharing last year was 274.3 mil.  Add in game day revenue, etc. and just how much are the Wilfs spending out of pocket anymore?  

Don't let me digress though.

I think that if they really want to move on from him and NOT have to deal with that 45 mil cap hit in 2022, then trading him for even a 5th round pick would be better than nothing.  As the article stated, the Vikings may have to do an Osweiler type deal to get him off the books.

Worst case scenario is you just cut him and get nothing in return.  They would only need another 10 mil in cap space to absorb this move or they could designate a post June 1 cut.

I think the best move if they cannot trade him would be to cut him with a post June 1 designation.  It will not affect the cap anymore in 2021 although his number will still be on the books.  In 2022, instead of saving 45 mil in cap space they would save 35 mil.

This scenario should be adequate grounds for the removal of the GM from his position IMHO.

Frankly, it is beyond time to make a change at GM.  Spielman has been OK for the most part and some would say he is a top GM.  But the number one goal for any GM should be getting to and winning the Super Bowl.  Spielman has had long enough.

Sometimes corporations make a change at the top just to get a fresh perspective.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@FLVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

I think the Jets (likely #1 draft - they are leading and look like they will not try to win any games) want Trevor Lawrence, and if you really are committed to trade "anything and everything", would you include Danielle Hunter and Justin Jefferson to move up? Because it might take that. I am in the "Hell no" camp for either of them, and no matter how good Lawrence might be, he can't make this team 14-2 on his own.

There are 10 games left so we don't know anything for sure but if the Jets get the number one pick we shouldn't be that far back. Perhaps we get pick 5 or 6, then we can trade draft picks to move up, not players. Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams. So to move up 5 picks I doubt it will take every pick but it would be worth if it did.

Quote: @FLVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@FLVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

There are 10 games left so we don't know anything for sure but if the Jets get the number one pick we shouldn't be that far back. Perhaps we get pick 5 or 6, then we can trade draft picks to move up, not players. Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky Williams. So to move up 5 picks I doubt it will take every pick but it would be worth if it did.
I think you are undervaluing the amount of spin Lawrence will give the jets fan base.... if they passed on him NYC would riots.