Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings, Stefon Diggs parted because of irreconcilable differences
I understand why Diggs wanted to leave. It's just business for the most part. He thinks he can get better stats resulting in more money in a pass oriented offense.
And he's rather fond of being the star. Can't blame him for that.
I get the initial gnashing of teeth, but the sky isn't falling. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Breaks my heart...Dayum

I think the unspoken part of him leaving is the head coach and him in conflict.   People think it's him and Cousins but I think that's way overblown.  I used to watch every Zimmer presser up until about a year ago and I remember how he would never go out of his way to praise Diggs, questions about Diggs didn't elicit some of the positive responses that other guys would recieve.  I just felt that there was something going on there, possibly just that he didn't like Digg's having a bit of the diva in him.   Old iron Mike didn't dig it.

Anyhow, after this trade went down the tidbit comes out from P.A. about when Diggs took his little 2 day vacation and Zimmer supposedly got up in the locker room and said eff that guy blah blah blah.   Would Zimmer talk that way about one of his defensive pet pupils?  I don't think so.   Yeah it hurt the team but should a coach really act so divisively in that or any situation?   I could be wrong but not in my opinion.

Now you've got a bunch of guys cut or walking away.  Mac Alexander took peanuts to play on one of the lousiest teams in football instead of to stay here.  You watch the coach talk that way about a guy whose contribution on the field is big, maybe you don't feel so great about playing for him any more.   

The more information I learn about what was going on behind the scenes the last two years with Diggs the happier I am about moving on without him.  I think we did well in the trade for a player who did not want to be here.  Reminds me of the Percy Harvin ordeal and we were able to get a really good return by trading him to Seattle.  I think Percy was more of a head case then Diggs and Diggs is more of a prima donna.

Up until learning about his two day absence and then cryptic comments after and then Redskins uni picture I was just looking at them in isolation.  I did not know the behind the scenes so I always just chalked it up to him being immature and ultra-competitive.  Now I know that he was divisive, disgruntled, and unhappy about his place in a run focused offense....so goodbye!  Thanks for your production and miracle.

Buffalo is a run focused team as well and not in a major market that I am sure Diggs would have wanted.  With Allen being a very inaccurate long range thrower I don't see a happy time for Diggs in Buffalo at all.  I think he will be this contract and then gone from there.  He is very talented and in the right situation (with his own happiness) he can flourish but Buffalo????

As for Mac:

"During a meaningless Week 17 loss to Chicago in which many of the Vikings' starters did not play, Alexander sustained an injury to his knee that required offseason surgery, forcing him to miss Minnesota's postseason run."

I think he sees himself as a starter on the outside and this week 17 injury just solidified him moving on.  Plus he and Waynes are buds.  I thought Mac was playing well and better as the season went on so I did not want to lose him but that injury meant that he was moving on somewhere, anywhere - IMO

The only issue for me is the Vikings struck gold on a 5th round pick that they developed and now he's gone at 26 years old. A shame, really, but it is what it is. I don't dwell on players leaving, especially ones that want out so badly. The Vikings need this Draft to be fruitful. 

New report today saying that Diggs tweets on Monday "time for a new beginning"  are what prompted the Bills to call about a trade.  Not the other way around.  Meaning, Diggs did not know that we were working on a deal and tweeted that but rather he prompted the trade talk.  The trade was not that difficult to work out becuase we had already talked with the Bills last year and we knew each others demands.  Diggs, really did not want to be here and his behavior was bound to become even more distracting.  Another vey good trade for the Vikings.  Similar to the Harvin trade years ago.  Get rid of headcase/prima and get very good return.  The team will be better off without a very unhappy and immature Diggs.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
New report today saying that Diggs tweets on Monday "time for a new beginning"  are what prompted the Bills to call about a trade.  Not the other way around.  Meaning, Diggs did not know that we were working on a deal and tweeted that but rather he prompted the trade talk.  The trade was not that difficult to work out becuase we had already talked with the Bills last year and we knew each others demands.  Diggs, really did not want to be here and his behavior was bound to become even more distracting.  Another vey good trade for the Vikings.  Similar to the Harvin trade years ago.  Get rid of headcase/prima and get very good return.  The team will be better off without a very unhappy and immature Diggs.  

Read the same report, SI, correct.  Buffalo had already been in talks, stopped, and Diggs tweet promoted a midpoint offer.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/23/tampa-...ins-trades

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@minny65 said:

Read the same report, SI, correct.  Buffalo had already been in talks, stopped, and Diggs tweet promoted a midpoint offer.

Yes, looks like I was wrong about that. Let that sink in...the Vikings traded its best player because of a..um...tweet. Unreal. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@BigAl99 said:
@minny65 said:

Yes, looks like I was wrong about that. Let that sink in...the Vikings traded its best player because of a..um...tweet. Unreal. 
you really still think it was just the tweets?