Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extension for Cousins
$45M cap hit in 2022? Wow.....

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
so I'm reading that it adds 2 years with 61 million of the 63 million guaranteed.   

2 questions:

So if it lowers the cap hit this year 10 million we have to assume that 10 million will be paid out over then next 2 years right?  so if he is looking at a 32 million average over the next 3 years can we assume that his hit next year will be over 35 million, closer to 37 to 40?  

also,  if this year was already guaranteed,  and his new deal has 61 of 63 guaranteed,   he is basically guaranteed his money for the next 3 years,  so essentially another fully guaranteed deal?

or am I missing some details?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/ 

That should help answer your questions...I had to look it up to understand
its not as bad as I was anticipating,  but that 45 milllion for 2022 is guaranteed against injury so we better freaking pray that he doesnt get a major injury or we will be screwed.

Quote: @Rigby said:
But what % of the cap would that be at that point? 

Could be a manageable %, maybe similar to today or avg for a top 10 qb

Hell, we might all still be in quarantine in 2022..

Quote: @Rigby said:
Give it a minute. When a couple more deals get done, it will look modest. Or he'll be gone.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Rigby said:
But what % of the cap would that be at that point? 

Could be a manageable %, maybe similar to today or avg for a top 10 qb

Hell, we might all still be in quarantine in 2022..

2022 salary guarantees in March of 2021. Most likely a significantly higher cap in 2022 but still no guarantee of what it might be. I like Kirk, but that's an incredible amount to push two years out.

[Image: Minnesota%20Vikings_0.png]
Vikings signed QB Kirk Cousins to a three-year, $96 million contract.Cousins was entering the final season of his three-year, $84 million contract, but the Vikings didn't want to play games with their franchise quarterback It's a two-year, $66 million extension, one that will lower Cousins' 2020 cap number. He'll now be under contract through the 2022 season, and we can assume he'll be near the top of the quarterback market in annual salary. It's certainly debatable if Cousins has what it takes to get the Vikings over the hump, especially with an aging defense, but he'll collect his Sam Bradford-level paychecks while Minnesota finds out. To be fair, Cousins had his highest touchdown percentage (5.9) of his starting career in 2019 and is good enough to continually lead the Vikings to playoff appearances with the right supporting cast.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: Minnesota%20Vikings_0.png]
Vikings signed QB Kirk Cousins to a three-year, $96 million contract.Cousins was entering the final season of his three-year, $84 million contract, but the Vikings didn't want to play games with their franchise quarterback It's a two-year, $66 million extension, one that will lower Cousins' 2020 cap number. He'll now be under contract through the 2022 season, and we can assume he'll be near the top of the quarterback market in annual salary. It's certainly debatable if Cousins has what it takes to get the Vikings over the hump, especially with an aging defense, but he'll collect his Sam Bradford-level paychecks while Minnesota finds out. To be fair, Cousins had his highest touchdown percentage (5.9) of his starting career in 2019 and is good enough to continually lead the Vikings to playoff appearances with the right supporting cast.

Why the hell does Mike McCarthy need to comment on the Vikings...Once a Packer always a Packer.  F;ers.

Good for him, I like the continuity.  What are they at now as far cap space, I figure somewhere north of 30 Million?

If spotrac has it right, we essentially lowered Cousins cap hit this season by 10 million (good), but locked ourselves into him for next season as well.  If his dead money is only 10 million in 2022, that will allow us to work out another extension to lower his cap hit or cut bait if we want.  The cap is projected to increase quite a bit in 2021 and 2022...

This seems like a good deal on the surface.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
If spotrac has it right, we essentially lowered Cousins cap hit this season by 10 million (good), but locked ourselves into him for next season as well.  If his dead money is only 10 million in 2022, that will allow us to work out another extension to lower his cap hit or cut bait if we want.  The cap is projected to increase quite a bit in 2021 and 2022...

This seems like a good deal on the surface.
Regarding the future cap numbers: Are we certain they will jump up? I think the tv contracts are not done. What am I missing?