Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senate and Congress Invaded. WHERE IS THE PRESIDENT?
in 3- 4 years Stop the Steal will still be there - albeit faded

Defund Police? Hopefully the Dems learned. 

Call me hopeful and dumb, but maybe there will be great examples of new safety models cities will employ will actually work. Ones that are situationally better? Put police and force at the right time/right place vs people better trained resources developed to handle mental illness crisis situations etc?

I like some of the early renderings I hear up here in MN.

I know many Trump supporters who were turned-off by divisive rhetoric. But they were equally or more turned off by their concerns for lawlessness and no order the Dems served up to Trump on a platter.  

I have some hope the moderate conservatives will someday again be a voice of team red. And in the interim, Biden will have his work cut out trying to please both ends of the Dem party. 

i finally got to finish the soicial dilemma on netflix today. The second half was certainly about adults and how all the big tech companies are marketing and using us for proffit. What I guess we all know already is that they feed us what we want to hear. 

They were saying that googles search results for global warming changes based on the zipcode searched from.

Obviously if they change our search results based on what we want to hear our bias gets slanted more and more toward our own beliefs and we feel the other side is less and less in touch with reality. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
i finally got to finish the soicial dilemma on netflix today. The second half was certainly about adults and how all the big tech companies are marketing and using us for proffit. What I guess we all know already is that they feed us what we want to hear. 

They were saying that googles search results for global warming changes based on the zipcode searched from.

Obviously if they change our search results based on what we want to hear our bias gets slanted more and more toward our own beliefs and we feel the other side is less and less in touch with reality. 
At the bold...
Not exactly. The google search suggestions are based on what your "profile" is. A profile created based on your online activity (your location is a part of).
It's similar to shopping websites, they suggest things they think you would buy based on what they know about your past activity (profile) and purchases.
So if you just stick to the suggestions made, you see what they think you want to see. 
If you deviate from their suggestions you give them more info to create/update what they know about you (machine learning) and the cycle continues. That's the scary part.
So the engine is always learning and updating itself to better "serve" you.
This is the core of the Russian disinformation claim on Facebook. People that supported/sympathized with Trump saw/clicked only stuff that supported Trump and painted the Dems in badlight on Facebook (most of which was created by the Russians as we know today). This reinforced their claims , enforced the division and solidified their convictions and subsequently help convince them to or solidify their thoughts to vote for Trump.

Use multiple search engines when you "research" topics, ie, Duck Duck Go, Bing and even Google Scholar will provide you different sources.  Ultimately it's up to the consumer on what quality information is. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
If the GOP wants to survive it has to listen to guys like Ben Sasse. 
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/5345...roying-gop 
"When Trump leaves office, my party faces a choice: We can dedicate ourselves to defending the Constitution and perpetuating our best American institutions and traditions, or we can be a party of conspiracy theories, cable-news fantasies, and the ruin that comes with them," he said.

"We can be the party of Eisenhower, or the party of the conspiracist Alex Jones."
It's complete and utter hypocrisy to say this now when he rode along the last 4 years. 

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

At the bold...
Not exactly. The google search suggestions are based on what your "profile" is. A profile created based on your online activity (your location is a part of).
It's similar to shopping websites, they suggest things they think you would buy based on what they know about your past activity (profile) and purchases.
So if you just stick to the suggestions made, you see what they think you want to see. 
If you deviate from their suggestions you give them more info to create/update what they know about you (machine learning) and the cycle continues. That's the scary part.
This is the core of the Russian disinformation claim on Facebook. People that supported/sympathized with Trump saw/clicked only stuff that supported Trump and painted the Dems in badlight on Facebook (most of which was created by the Russians as we know today). This reinforced their claims , enforced the division and solidified their convictions and subsequently help convince them to or solidify their thoughts to vote for Trump.

The same can be said about Liberals as well. (Conservatives to!!!)  Its a huge part of why we "hate" each other.  If all you watch/hear/read all day long is that your neighbor with an opposing candidate's sign in their yard is an idiot then its no wonder we're as divided as we are.
Division, hatred, name calling.  All that generates clicks.  Clicks generate ad revenue.  Ad revenue generates sales.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
Use multiple search engines when you "research" topics, ie, Duck Duck Go, Bing and even Google Scholar will provide you different sources.  Ultimately it's up to the consumer on what quality information is. 

To me the term "google" has just become the term I use to search for something on the internet.  Kind of like Kleenex is to a facial tissue. What one actually uses is up to them. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

At the bold...

The same can be said about Liberals as well. (Conservatives to!!!)  Its a huge part of why we "hate" each other.  If all you watch/hear/read all day long is that your neighbor with an opposing candidate's sign in their yard is an idiot then its no wonder we're as divided as we are.
Division, hatred, name calling.  All that generates clicks.  Clicks generate ad revenue.  Ad revenue generates sales.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 
At the bold.
Not true. The same cannot be said of the Liberals. The Russians (a foreign power) did not spread disinformation on Facebook nor interfere in the 2016 elections to help the Democrats. I guess you want to argue for argument sake so go ahead and try to change history.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

At the bold...

At the bold.
Not true. The same cannot be said of the Liberals. The Russians (a foreign power) did not spread disinformation on Facebook nor interfere in the 2016 elections to help the Democrats. I guess you want to argue for argument sake so go ahead and try to change history.

If what I said up above wasn't clear as to how your own media feed is telling you what you want to hear and re-enforcing your own beliefs to generate click then there's not much left to discuss.  Making a distinction about who/what/when/where wasn't the point.  We're all being had by the highest bidder. 

Do a test for me:  google this: "how many russian operatives did the russian disinformation campaign have"  Curious if you guys get the same result with the same search terms or if google scrubbed my search terms to lessen the impact of Russia?  If it is true that there was a total of 2500 posts involved in the Russian operation I think we might be blowing the whole Russia Russia Russia thing out of proportion.  Heck I have 2500 posts on this site alone.  5 guys/gals a case of vodka and some shitty pizza could knock 2500 post out in a night if you really wanted to. 

An NPR article is at the top for me with a quote of: 

Nimmo said one thing stands out about the Secondary Infektion campaign: It almost never worked.
Researchers,
working with security teams at Facebook, Twitter and other tech
companies, identified more than 2,500 pieces of disinformation tied to
the same Russian actors. Just about every fake story it tried to spread
fizzled fast, indicating that the group was likely driven more by a
quota than by online impact.

"Which is an important reminder:
Yes, there is disinformation on the Internet, but just because it's
false, doesn't mean it's going to go viral," Nimmo said.

There is one exception, however.
Somehow, in October 2019, the hackers got ahold
of leaked trade documents between the U.S. and Britain and the
disclosure dominated the U.K. news cycle for days, yet Nimmo says that
is the only example of the disinformation campaign ever gaining any
traction.