Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senate and Congress Invaded. WHERE IS THE PRESIDENT?
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
This is ugly if true:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mikie-sherril...06364.html
We'll see...

This whole thing could blossom into a big spotlight on Fascists where you might lease expect it: Elected Govt Officials, Armed Forces and Police. Ok, maybe the latter 2 isnt shocking - but I still appreciate the good apples who protect and serve. 

The American Political scene has been (for the last 5 years) the perfect ecosystem for fostering right wing extremism. Kinda like the Pythons in the Everglades. That bad s hit is coming home to roost now. 

Maybe I'm just being naive believing it wasn't ever there. Then again we have some members who are pretty open about their Q involvement/tolerance.

There are radical, violent, thugs on either extreme side of the political spectrum.  Personally I think this goes back further then 5 years.  Trump wasn't the cause, he is a symptom of the hate that exists between political factions.  Both sides can turn on the TV, boot up a computer or glance at their phone and be barraged by opinion news/articles/blogs/radio shows etc about how the other side is evil and if we don't do everything to stop them the world is going to end. 

I'm not sure when the world started going down the shit pipe?  Was it in the 1800s?  1900s?  post WW2?  Post 9/11?  Who knows.  All I know is we're all keyboard warriors on the interweb but you know what I bet most of the guys/gals on here would gladly have a drink with any of the Viking fans on here. 

I've been having this conversation with some college friends lately.  We're by no means a politically homogeneous group.  How do we get a nation that has 1/2 the people hating the other 1/2 the people and vice versa to realize we're all just here for a short amount of time and for 99.99% of us there's not a damn thing we can do politically to change any of the outcomes. 
Oh I absolutely believe Trump is an accelerant and causal variable in this, not a symptom. That's giving him way too much of a pass and doesn't burden him to uphold his sworn in duties as leader of the free world. It's turning a blind eye to Charleston and so many other transgressions the last 4 years. 

History is not going to be kind to Trump and I would never set the bar that low for our expectation of POTUS. 

This is going to quickly erode to a discussion of BLM, Antifa etc. vs what we just saw with Sedition in the Capital.

I would argue the red-hot, biggest danger to the Republic is what we just saw in DC. And probably whats to come between now and 1/20. This ain't over. 

Where you and I agree is that terrorism on either side of the political spectrum is intolerable and these people should be jailed. 

Yeah, I'm fine with our different takes on the top 4 points.  Its who we are.  We can have different opinions on things and not hate one another.  This website has is a microcosm of America as a whole.  To many times this past year(s) (I'm guilty myself)  we've gotten so damn pissed at each other and taking things way to personal. We're ripping each other apart and it serves no one but the oligarchy that exists in our country. 

I personally am going to try to do a better job of it in my day to day and we as nation need to do this or we're going to be caught in a never ending death spiral where an outright civil war is quite possible. 

I know I wont always see eye with liberals and I don't expect you'll/they'll see eye to eye with me.  I just want the outright hate to stop.  Each and everyone of us is just trying to live our life to the best of our abilities and provide for our families. 

And we're very much on the same page on the terrorists.  There should have been freezer trucks full of body for every asshole that jumped the barriers. 

I thought this did a pretty good job of defining the state of things (today anyways). So much could change between now and 1/20....I dont think we've seen the last seditious acts unfortunately.  

To many Senate Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, there's no question in their minds: President Donald Trump committed impeachable offenses.
But getting McConnell and at least 16 other Republicans to convict Trump after he's left office is another question entirely.
"There is no love lost within the Senate Republican Conference for Trump," said one GOP source familiar with internal discussions. "Everybody is ready for this end. But there is a really open question about how many people will vote to convict him after his term will have expired."
Several senior GOP sources told CNN on Thursday that many Republicans are torn over whether Trump's actions warrant the unprecedented step of prohibiting him from ever serving in office again after he leaves the White House next week.
Republicans say it will ultimately be up to a combination of factors -- the case built by House impeachment managers, whether new information comes out about Trump and the deadly Capitol riot and whether emotions are still raw when it comes time to vote -- to determine whether Republicans will break ranks and end Trump's political career for good.
Privately, Republicans have reviewed internal polling showing Trump's support cratering among GOP voters since Election Day -- especially since last week when he incited a violent mob of his supporters to riot in the Capitol leading to the deaths of five people, two sources said. But even after he leaves office, he is bound to still maintain significant sway with the GOP base, something Republicans facing reelection -- and potential primary challengers -- will be forced to confront.
Republicans are by and large split into several camps. Some, like Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, oppose the proceedings because, they argue, it's constitutionally dubious to convict a President once he leaves office, a position many Republicans are bound to take. 
"I doubt we can even have a trial for a former President, which is what we are dealing with here," GOP Sen. Kevin Cramer of North Dakota told CNN on Thursday.
Others, such as Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, are likely to align with many House Republicans who said that the impeachment proceedings will further divide the country.
"An impeachment vote will only lead to more hate and a deeply fractured nation," Scott, who is facing voters in 2022, said this week.
Yet, some Republicans say that it's critical to lay down a marker to make clear that Congress will not stand for future presidents who may follow Trump's path -- and that the President's actions crossed a clear line that must never be replicated again.
"I believe that this President has committed an impeachable offense," Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski told Alaska television station KTUU on Wednesday, adding that it would be "appropriate" for the Senate to bar him from holding office again."I think that is one of the most consequential actions that we should take, and I think that would be appropriate."
In a statement Thursday, Murkowski said she would "listen carefully" to the arguments before making a decision on her vote, but said the House acted "swiftly, and I believe, appropriately with impeachment."
McConnell, for one, has privately told his colleagues he is genuinely undecided and will keep an open mind when listening to the arguments presented by House Democratic impeachment managers, according to people familiar with the matter. He wants to let the passions of the moment cool down and let the trial play out before taking a position that many view will be the key in swaying Senate GOP votes -- and determining whether Trump is convicted.
"There is no difference in the (GOP) conference that there are potentially impeachable offenses here," the first Republican source said. "I think almost everybody believes that."
Indeed, many remain sharply critical of Trump's remarks to his supporters at the rally last week that preceded the Capitol riot.
"If anything, he urged in a very emotional situation, very inappropriate action by people that appear to be his supporters," said Sen. Mike Rounds, a South Dakota Republican, after the rioters stormed the Capitol.
Republican senators, who are out of Washington until next week, are mostly keeping quiet ahead of the trial. More than a dozen Senate GOP offices either declined or did not respond to requests for comment Thursday on the House's approval of an article of impeachment, which charged Trump with inciting an insurrection and was backed by 10 House Republicans.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/politics/...index.html

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/opinions/...index.html

This is what I'm talking about.  What good does this do anyone? 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I thought this did a pretty good job of defining the state of things (today anyways). So much could change between now and 1/20....I dont think we've seen the last seditious acts unfortunately.  

To many Senate Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, there's no question in their minds: President Donald Trump committed impeachable offenses.
But getting McConnell and at least 16 other Republicans to convict Trump after he's left office is another question entirely.
"There is no love lost within the Senate Republican Conference for Trump," said one GOP source familiar with internal discussions. "Everybody is ready for this end. But there is a really open question about how many people will vote to convict him after his term will have expired."
Several senior GOP sources told CNN on Thursday that many Republicans are torn over whether Trump's actions warrant the unprecedented step of prohibiting him from ever serving in office again after he leaves the White House next week.
Republicans say it will ultimately be up to a combination of factors -- the case built by House impeachment managers, whether new information comes out about Trump and the deadly Capitol riot and whether emotions are still raw when it comes time to vote -- to determine whether Republicans will break ranks and end Trump's political career for good.
Privately, Republicans have reviewed internal polling showing Trump's support cratering among GOP voters since Election Day -- especially since last week when he incited a violent mob of his supporters to riot in the Capitol leading to the deaths of five people, two sources said. But even after he leaves office, he is bound to still maintain significant sway with the GOP base, something Republicans facing reelection -- and potential primary challengers -- will be forced to confront.
Republicans are by and large split into several camps. Some, like Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, oppose the proceedings because, they argue, it's constitutionally dubious to convict a President once he leaves office, a position many Republicans are bound to take. 
"I doubt we can even have a trial for a former President, which is what we are dealing with here," GOP Sen. Kevin Cramer of North Dakota told CNN on Thursday.
Others, such as Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, are likely to align with many House Republicans who said that the impeachment proceedings will further divide the country.
"An impeachment vote will only lead to more hate and a deeply fractured nation," Scott, who is facing voters in 2022, said this week.
Yet, some Republicans say that it's critical to lay down a marker to make clear that Congress will not stand for future presidents who may follow Trump's path -- and that the President's actions crossed a clear line that must never be replicated again.
"I believe that this President has committed an impeachable offense," Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski told Alaska television station KTUU on Wednesday, adding that it would be "appropriate" for the Senate to bar him from holding office again."I think that is one of the most consequential actions that we should take, and I think that would be appropriate."
In a statement Thursday, Murkowski said she would "listen carefully" to the arguments before making a decision on her vote, but said the House acted "swiftly, and I believe, appropriately with impeachment."
McConnell, for one, has privately told his colleagues he is genuinely undecided and will keep an open mind when listening to the arguments presented by House Democratic impeachment managers, according to people familiar with the matter. He wants to let the passions of the moment cool down and let the trial play out before taking a position that many view will be the key in swaying Senate GOP votes -- and determining whether Trump is convicted.
"There is no difference in the (GOP) conference that there are potentially impeachable offenses here," the first Republican source said. "I think almost everybody believes that."
Indeed, many remain sharply critical of Trump's remarks to his supporters at the rally last week that preceded the Capitol riot.
"If anything, he urged in a very emotional situation, very inappropriate action by people that appear to be his supporters," said Sen. Mike Rounds, a South Dakota Republican, after the rioters stormed the Capitol.
Republican senators, who are out of Washington until next week, are mostly keeping quiet ahead of the trial. More than a dozen Senate GOP offices either declined or did not respond to requests for comment Thursday on the House's approval of an article of impeachment, which charged Trump with inciting an insurrection and was backed by 10 House Republicans.

They say one thing and do another. Empty words are meaningless. How many times have we heard something was outrageous and nothing was done about it? Actions speak louder than words. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

They say one thing and do another. Empty words are meaningless. How many times have we heard something was outrageous and nothing was done about it? Actions speak louder than words. 

Even a hardened liberal would have to admit that impeaching a president with what 6 days left in his term and a minority in the senate is nothing but political theater, no?  

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Even a hardened liberal would have to admit that impeaching a president with what 6 days left in his term and a minority in the senate is nothing but political theater, no?  
No. An impeachment conviction disqualifies him from ever running for office again, which I'm sure you would agree is an important thing. The 6 days is irrelevant. 

@"Vikergirl" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

NOPE

Allowing Trump to commit impeachable offense after impeachable offense because his GOP Senate was too chicken shit to hold him accountable is a far worse option.

We are NOT setting the precedent for another Trump wannabe to come in and do this kind of shit because we started to allow this kind of bullshit by letting Donald skate.  

For the first time in his entire life, Donald J Trump needs to be held accountable and suffer the consequences for his actions and words.

@"Vikergirl" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

No not at all. There has to be consequences and accountability for all the damage that has been caused. They can't just let this slide, that would be completely and utterly unacceptable. The majority of American voters would agree. You don't just say ok he is a traitor to the United States but we aren't going to do anything. Screw that.