Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could This Be Spielman’s Best Draft?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
6’3 305 pounder from Miami G Danny Isodora, to hopefully replace Patterson 

I dont see him on KR,  but I cant wait to see Isadora on the little bubble screen that Patterson was known for... 
:p 
Read it again Jimmy, it says Speedster Rodney Adams AND Danny Isodora to hopefully replace CP AND add OL Depth 
I know what you wrote and what you meant to say... I am saying it reads that you are expecting Isidora to replace CP and add OL depth.  had you added the word respectively to that sentence it would have reverted the "replace patterson" back to Adams.  No big deal, just having a little fun.  Wink
First attempt, it's a lot harder than it looks   LOL

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I dont see him on KR,  but I cant wait to see Isadora on the little bubble screen that Patterson was known for... 
Read it again Jimmy, it says Speedster Rodney Adams AND Danny Isodora to hopefully replace CP AND add OL Depth 
I know what you wrote and what you meant to say... I am saying it reads that you are expecting Isidora to replace CP and add OL depth.  had you added the word respectively to that sentence it would have reverted the "replace patterson" back to Adams.  No big deal, just having a little fun.  Wink
ya did a good job Bob,  but if I didnt crack yer nuts a little bit... whats the point?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:

ya did a good job Bob,  but if I didnt crack yer nuts a little bit... whats the point?
This is True Jimmy, Very True!!!

I'm historically a big RS supporter, but not this time. I think this Draft was almost as bad as last year's.

First, Cook is no gimme. Dude was dinged up like every other game at FSU. He's only a good or great pick If he leaves the injury bug in college. If it follows him to the Pros...

No complaints on the Elflein pick. Nor do I have an issue with trading up for either Pat or Dalvin. That Rick went on tilt trying to replace the picks he gave up is another big problem, though.

Jaleel Johnson? What the Hell? Team has Tom Johnson coming back, signed Jones and Sutton, then used their 3rd selection on yet another 3T?

What makes it worse is that Dorian Johnson went just a few picks later. Unquestionably a better prospect for a Unit that really needed help then Danny Isidora.

Gedeon is what, the replacement for Audi Cole? Wasn't Audie an UDFA? The kid can't cover. But let's say he does pan out. Will he make a bigger impact on the Defense than Nico Siragusa, who was available and also undeniably a better prospect than Isidora.

Will Ben Gedeon help the team more than developmental OT prospect Julie'n Davenport, who was also available? 

And then we get to the Trader Rick section of the Draft where acquiring as many late picks as he could resulted in passing on Chad Hansen, Jake Butt, George Kittles, and Isaac Asiata.

All of them are better prospects than what Rick ended up selecting. And he whiffed on Kickers too. And virtually guaranteed that the team has to pick OTs early and often next year.

I defend Rick a lot. But his last two Drafts stink from a 'What's available' standpoint. It's possible every one of these kids pans out. Or at least several do, which would make him look like a genius.

But given his track record at drafting O-Line guys and what he passed on to settle for Danny Isidora, whom I've heard described multiple times as career backup at best, I'm not holding my breath.

I am not a draftnik by any stretch, but just a simple question.  Have any of those players you mention started an NFL game yet?  Have any made the HOF or even an NFL roster at this point?

I F'n love the Elfien pick. Only time will tell, but I have been thinking it might be the best as well, especially considering we were handicapped by the lack of a 1st round pick. I believe in this team, but mostly the coaching staff who will bring home our first Super Bowl victory ever. Glass is always half full in preseason! SKOL!!!

Lets see, they drafted Bradford in the first, Cook in the 2nd, Elflein in the third, Jaleel Johnson in the fourth, in the 5th through 7th they got bunch of development prospects and a few of them have shown some real potential in Hodges, Isadora, and Coley, who all could be nice finds at that point in the draft and then many others to round out the 90 man roster. 

So far it looks like a good draft.  How many OG do you need to draft at a time?  As it is it's going to be a numbers game for some young prospects and maybe even an old vet like Berger.   Reiff, Remmers, Elflein, Hill, Boone, Easton are near locks as is Berger most likely that leaves 2 spots for OG or preferably swing tackles.  Isadora looks solid so you have Clemmings, Sirles, Beavers, Kerin, already on the bubble so I don't know that adding any other rookie OG would have been very beneficial.  It should shake out more this year and they likely will need to try to get an OT or high quality OG in next years draft.  I think it was a good draft at this point.

Cole was drafted FYI.

I don't have a big issue with late round manuvers overall.   I have no idea about any of the late round guys that went anywhere to any team.  A few will work out. Most won't.

Late rounds are a numbers game generally.  If there was a prospect still there rounds 5 or later then there was a reason.

Its going to be difficult for any draft class to top 2015...

Waynes
Kendrick
Hunter
Diggs
Robinson

Kendrick, Hunter, and Diggs are cornerstones, Waynes could be, and Robinson will most likely be a solid starter and ST contributor...

Cook is the bellcow of the current class, could/should be a stud... Coley could be a steal, but at best he's the #4 WR...same for Adams...After that, I think we get a bunch of solid guys...guys who start or contribute on ST...Bower could be the lynchpin to maximizing this class, but even if he does, he's still likely the 4th DE at best...

Quote: @greediron said:
I am not a draftnik by any stretch, but just a simple question.  Have any of those players you mention started an NFL game yet?  Have any made the HOF or even an NFL roster at this point?

FSUVike knows college football very well and his prospect evaluations are solid. Of course none of his suggested players are in the HOF yet. But neither are any of the guys Spielman picked this spring, but plenty of people are endorsing them.  You need to look at the record of the guy who chose all these players, and his strategy of accumulating late picks (rounds 5-7) over earlier ones.

In the drafts from 2006 (when Spielman joined the team) through 2016, he has picked 50 players in rounds 5-7, and 41 in rounds 1-4. We've had an average of 1.5 picks in every round 5 or later, but .93 picks in the first 4. He likes to collect late picks.

For his 50 late-round picks, what has Spielman acquired as far as productive players?
  • John Sullivan - very good starter
  • Stefon Diggs - very good starter, could be great
  • Brandon Fusco - decent starter for 5 seasons
  • Robert Blanton, Shamar Stephen - fill-in backups
  • A couple of kickers who are gone now
3 starters for 50 picks in those late rounds - 1 in 16. He picked 7 late-rounders this year, so we shouldn't expect more than about 1/2 a starting player among Isadora, Adams, Coley, Hodges, and the rest. "Coaches say so-and-so looks great in practice"..? So did MyCole Pruitt, Jeff Baca, Brandon Watts, DeMarcus Love, etc....