Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Dat? Saints steamrolled by Falcons in biggest upset of season
They got owned. But it happens. I don't put too much stock in it, but it was nice to see.

I would have rather seen them lose a squeaker at home so they could still be cocky a little,  a loss like that slaps everybody in the locker room back to reality where they will refocus.... and its always more of a heart break to lose a close contest than to have the whole game to prepare for the loss. 

F the Saints!

I watched most of that game.  That was not the same Atlanta team we played to open the season. Those guys were fired up.  Grady Jarrett and the D-Line were awesome against the Saints' very good O-line. 
At 1-7, Atlanta was in 4-down mentality right from the start.  So on, say, 3d and 7 they could run it or throw a very short, safe pass, knowing that they would go for it on 4th and 2.  It was fun to watch.
And they all performed.  Their brand new kicker went 4-4. After Freeman went down their next RB did just fine. They turned N.O. over on downs twice to close out the game - after Ryan threw a silly interception to give the Saints life.
And for reasons unknown, the Saints did not use Kamara much.
They play again in Atlanta later.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I watched most of that game.  That was not the same Atlanta team we played to open the season. Those guys were fired up.  Grady Jarrett and the D-Line were awesome against the Saints' very good O-line. 
At 1-7, Atlanta was in 4-down mentality right from the start.  So on, say, 3d and 7 they could run it or throw a very short, safe pass, knowing that they would go for it on 4th and 2.  It was fun to watch.
And they all performed.  Their brand new kicker went 4-4. After Freeman went down their next RB did just fine. They turned N.O. over on downs twice to close out the game - after Ryan threw a silly interception to give the Saints life.
Like any good conference rival, these teams do not like each other very much.  Tip of the old chapeau to the Dirty Birds.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@dadevike said:
Like any good conference rival, these teams do not like each other very much.  Tip of the old chapeau to the Dirty Birds.

Very true.  The announcers referenced that a couple of times.  They call it "hate week." (And we played the Cowboys and I hate them.)
"National hate week" culminates in the 100th meeting between the New Orleans Saints and their NFC South rivals the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday afternoon. The game in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome will see both teams entering into the second half of the season as polar opposites of each other.

Quote: @dadevike said:
And for reasons unknown, the Saints did not use Kamara much.
Falcons are a better team than their record. They lost a few early, had some injuries, but they have all the pieces to be a .500+ team. This is a classic case of the famous Grantism "it's not who you play but when you play them." I'm happy we played them early and they're not on our schedule later this year. 

did anybody hear the bit about the coaching shit with the falcons... the announcer said they put all the position groups into a hat and then had all the position group coaches pull a group out and thats who they coached for the week?   is that shit legit or where they joking about something else?  ( i was in/out of that game )

I'd say it's a one-off event but always nice to see the Saints lose.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
did anybody hear the bit about the coaching shit with the falcons... the announcer said they put all the position groups into a hat and then had all the position group coaches pull a group out and thats who they coached for the week?   is that shit legit or where they joking about something else?  ( i was in/out of that game )
I assume that is a tongue in cheek reference to the coaching assignment changes the Falcons made last week - I think during their bye week.  Raheem Morris was moved back to defense - for some reason he was coaching wide receivers. Running backs coach Dave Brock was moved over to wide receivers coach in place of Morris. And  assistant Bernie Parmalee became the running backs coach.