Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Mock: WR at #24
Not the first mock I've seen with a WR. LT, 3T, and future QB rank much higher. OTOH, we're a soft tissue injury away from Thielen and Bisi as starters. Lamb will not be there when we pick unless he blows the interviews.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
unless we are trading either Diggs or AT... this make no Fn sense what so ever.  We are still weak at OL depth,  LB depth, QB of future uncertain,  and have a tendency to need to draft a DB early every couple years so.... dont see this at all.
Agreed, that was the same kind of logic that got us stuck with Randy Moss.   And, oh if we could have that pick back.
so you are saying this kid is HOF? 
Not at all, but you didn’t mention his skillset either.  You just mentioned that we have two great receivers and holes in other areas.  That was the exact situation when we drafted Moss, so you should justify your remarks based on other criteria maybe?  I thought your logic wasn’t sound and possibly old school thinking.  In today’s world, it’s the team that continuously thinks outside the box (Patriots) that seems to win every year.  

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
unless we are trading either Diggs or AT... this make no Fn sense what so ever.  We are still weak at OL depth,  LB depth, QB of future uncertain,  and have a tendency to need to draft a DB early every couple years so.... dont see this at all.
Agreed, that was the same kind of logic that got us stuck with Randy Moss.   And, oh if we could have that pick back.
Not at all, but you didn’t mention his skillset either.  You just mentioned that we have two great receivers and holes in other areas.  That was the exact situation when we drafted Moss, so you should justify your remarks based on other criteria maybe?  I thought your logic wasn’t sound and possibly old school thinking.  In today’s world, it’s the team that continuously thinks outside the box (Patriots) that seems to win every year.  
Fair enough... but for as great as Moss was, we didn't win a Super Bowl.  And we wouldn't have even gotten close, if not for the fact that we had a great OL.  So, as much as we all loved Moss... and he was exciting: if the goal is to win Super Bowls, we need to go after players who help win Super Bowls (defensive studs- which we already have- QBs and OL).  You said to look at the Patriots.  OK, who are their All-Pro WRs?  They don't have any (at least not guys that would be All-Pros anywhere else).  But they (traditionally) have had a good defense, a good OL and a great QB.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
It's not new school to overdraft a position because you think they might be good and ignore areas of need... the league has had poor teams doing that for ever.  If that kid was anywhere near the talent you suggest by bringing up Moss he will either have huge red flags or be gone long before we pick.  

You want to think outside the box,  how about drafting a QB before we are on dire need of one...or a LB, DT, or OL,  all of them those positions are harder to find studs at than a WR which is getting to be about as easy to find as RBs or zone corners.

I think it's way too early to get worked up over what we're going to be picking.  We don't know what we've got in the players we have or how much a 3rd WR really plays into our scheme choice.  It kind of seems like we're focusing on 2 TEs more than 3 WR.  I still think our top 2 needs are an Elflein replacement and a potential Cousins replacement if he struggles in the big games.  We very much could use a Harris replacement if he costs too much to keep.  I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a difference maker on defense although we don't have many openings, so we're kind of locked into a DT.  All that said, an impact 3 WR would really help the offense if it's a scheme fit.

@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
It's not new school to overdraft a position because you think they might be good and ignore areas of need... the league has had poor teams doing that for ever.  If that kid was anywhere near the talent you suggest by bringing up Moss he will either have huge red flags or be gone long before we pick.  

You want to think outside the box,  how about drafting a QB before we are on dire need of one...or a LB, DT, or OL,  all of them those positions are harder to find studs at than a WR which is getting to be about as easy to find as RBs or zone corners.
Me thinks you’re now moving the goal post.  

@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Nope,  I've been on OL and QB for years and think it would take a Calvin Johnson type to get me to even consider WR in the first and to my limited college FB knowledge there ismt one in the draft.  Goal posts are firmly where they've always been.

@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Nope,  I've been on OL and QB for years and think it would take a Calvin Johnson type to get me to even consider WR in the first and to my limited college FB knowledge there ismt one in the draft.  Goal posts are firmly where they've always been.
I haven’t followed you for years, so I wouldn’t know. Peace out.  However, I ama big advocate of BPA, and if the receiver is clearly the BPA in that situation, I’d be fine with that.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Waterboy said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I haven’t followed you for years, so I wouldn’t know. Peace out.  However, I ama big advocate of BPA, and if the receiver is clearly the BPA in that situation, I’d be fine with that.
Mid to late first round there will be multiple players that could easily be argued as BPA and while that is often a good idea, following that hard and fast is a recipe for disaster,  you cant ignore need,  you just have to avoid over reaching for it.

It's never too early! But there has been some lazy-ass mocking going on. Like BN I've seen several mocks with Minnesota taking a WR. Mostly because Diggs was pouty for like 1 week.

I'm hopeful that O'Neill slides to LT and they go BPA beteween QB/3T/OT in the 1st two rounds. Preferably a college OT that could project to Guard ala Risner this year. The draft pick is in play at RT to compete with Udoh and LG to compete with Samia (or Elf is you're more optimistic than I am).

Young Tackles, Center and LG. And whomever doesn't start is potentially Kline's future replacement.

3T is also huge. And unless KC makes a deep playoff run I'd be sorely tempted by Joe Burrow if he slides.

Right now the value appears to be on the O-Line, though.