Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Gopher football fans, look whats coming
Quote: @mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Local Media whispering about big PJ extension being worked on...
When is his current deal set to expire?
Fleck signed a 5 year back in 17 and they extended it another year in 18:

He originally signed a five-year, $18 million deal in 2017.
Base salaries per season
2017: $3.5 million
2018: $3.55 million
2019: $3.6 million
2020: $ 3.65 million
2021: $3.7 million
2022: $3.75 million
2023: $3.8 million

And they are looking at a new deal already?  Absurd.
Right now I think its about 3.5 million which is terrible.
Actually Fleck is at most the 5th highest paid coach in the West division.  

I know Lovie Smith (Illinois), Brohm (Purdue), Frost (Nebraska), and Ferentz (Iowa) make more.  Not sure about Fitzgerald at Northwestern or Chryst at Wisconsin.

Gophs more than took care of business Saturday, 52/10 is a laugher. 

Table is set, not sure our dear rodents can hang with the Nittany Lions or not? We'll find out soon. 

Quote: @RS Express said:
@mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Local Media whispering about big PJ extension being worked on...
When is his current deal set to expire?
Fleck signed a 5 year back in 17 and they extended it another year in 18:

He originally signed a five-year, $18 million deal in 2017.
Base salaries per season
2017: $3.5 million
2018: $3.55 million
2019: $3.6 million
2020: $ 3.65 million
2021: $3.7 million
2022: $3.75 million
2023: $3.8 million

And they are looking at a new deal already?  Absurd.
Right now I think its about 3.5 million which is terrible.
Actually Fleck is at most the 5th highest paid coach in the West division.  

I know Lovie Smith (Illinois), Brohm (Purdue), Frost (Nebraska), and Ferentz (Iowa) make more.  Not sure about Fitzgerald at Northwestern or Chryst at Wisconsin.

The 3.5 million I mentioned is his buy out not his salary. Also, he is on the low end of salaries. I read somewhere that he is among the lowest in the Big 10.

Gophers receive highest Associated Press top-25 ranking since 2004 at No. 13
The Gophers moved up four spots to No. 13 in the latest Associated Press' Top-25 poll released Sunday.
That's the highest ranking for the Gophers since being No. 13 in 2004. The Gophers are currently 8-0, 5-0 in the Big Ten conference, coming off a 52-10 victory against Maryland this past Saturday. They're one of nine unbeaten teams left in the FBS.
While on a bye week now, the Gophers will face similarly undefeated Penn State on Nov. 9 at TCF Bank Stadium. The Nittany Lions climbed one spot to a No. 5 ranking. 
The Gophers are also ranked No. 13 in the latest USA Today Coaches Poll.
Also of note, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck went on WCCO Radio this morning and answered a question about his future with the Gophers. He will be a hot commodity on the coaching market. Here was his response:
"My future at Minnesota is to make sure Minnesota is getting the attention that it deserves getting on a national level for our team, for our coaches, for our state, for our Twin Cities area," Fleck told the show. "That's my responsibility. And I know Heather [Fleck, his wife] and I absolutely love it here, and we're very grateful to our fans and very grateful to our administration and very grateful to our community that have accepted us with open arms. And we've got a lot of things to finish here this year."
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-recei...563945372/

What was your favorite PJ Moment? :p  :p :p

If Fleck leaves after this season, I'll be PISSED.

This team is really fun to watch...  I'd love to seem him have some staying power and keep building the football team for the next decade.

If Fleck's season continues to be at least decent, the bigger programs will come for him. Its just how it goes. University of Minnesota will always be a stepping stone program.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
His comments in the above interview could be interpreted as to him already packing.  Now maybe that is him angling for a raise or perhaps there are already offers on the table.

I wouldn't blame him if  he did leave,  opportunities to advance in any career are often limited and may not come around again,  but to sign a deal with that many years left  and then to walk away already,  after not really accomplishing much,  is crap IMO.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
His comments in the above interview could be interpreted as to him already packing.  Now maybe that is him angling for a raise or perhaps there are already offers on the table.

I wouldn't blame him if  he did leave,  opportunities to advance in any career are often limited and may not come around again,  but to sign a deal with that many years left  and then to walk away already,  after not really accomplishing much,  is crap IMO.
I'd like to hear the whole interview...  we all know that quotes can be taken out of context by the media (only giving part of it to try to pump a story).  That quote sounds like a guy who has visions of leaving for another job in the near future... but it could also just be him trying to display the same "one week at a time" and "this year is the only year that matters" philosophy that he has been preaching to his players.

It would really suck to have to start over in another year or two...  especially when the Gophers seem to be on an upward trajectory.

Gophers football success makes P.J. Fleck a hot commodity on college coaching marketFleck might be in line for a raise and/or extension. His $3.6 million salary for this season ranks 37th among all 130 FBS coaches and 11th of 14 coaches in the Big Ten Conference.
By  Megan Ryan Star TribuneOctober 31, 2019 — 7:08pm
P.J. Fleck held up an errant piece of sheet music after the Gophers beat Maryland to improve to 8-0. The notes to Jimi Hendrix’s “Fire” had floated in front of the coach on the field, blown away from some member of the marching band.
The Gophers coach said that was no coincidence, as his No. 13 team is currently on fire with its best record in nearly 80 years and a two-game lead in the Big Ten West.
But that could also apply to Fleck himself — not because his seat is hot but because he might become one of the hottest coaching commodities on the market again. No wonder athletic director Mark Coyle said Thursday he has been discussing Fleck’s future, an indication yet another contract could be coming.
Fleck has been a head coach for seven years, notably taking Western Michigan from 1-11 in 2013 to 13-1 by the time he left for the Gophers after the 2016 season. In his three seasons in Minnesota, he has taken the team from 5-7 to 7-6 to undefeated so far in 2019, with No. 6 Penn State visiting next week and a possible ESPN “College GameDay” visit in the future.
The Maryland victory was his 50th, making him the second youngest active FBS coach to reach that milestone, at age 38. Fleck’s “Row the Boat” culture focuses on producing good players as well as good people, which makes him an attractive choice for any athletics director in search of a new football coach.
That’s what Coyle saw in 2017 when he hired Fleck to take control of a program in crisis from a sexual assault scandal and player boycott.
“We talked about having a program that competes academically, athletically and socially, and there is no doubt that he and his student-athletes have done just that,” Coyle said in a statement.
Fleck left Western Michigan, where he was making $800,000 per year with incentives to reach $1 million, with four years left on his contract. He signed an $18 million contract for five years — averaging about $3.6 million per season — with the Gophers, garnering a one-year extension in late November 2017 to bring his contract total to $21.75 million for six years. He did the same in mid-December of 2018, keeping him with the Gophers through 2023 for a total of $25.5 million.
His $3.6 million salary for this season ranks 37th among all 130 FBS coaches and 11th of 14 coaches in the Big Ten conference, according to USA Today.
Given the history of late fall, early winter extensions, Coyle and new school President Joan Gabel could be preparing to offer another re-up for Fleck, possibly timed with the Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Dec. 12-13
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-footb...564193562/