Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The one thing that could make me quit watching football summed up in a tweet
Quote: @bigbone62 said:
I think we need to start differentiating between the refs being bad individually and the way in which the league wants the refs to call the game being bad. JMO, but the refs arent any worse now than when I first started watching in the 80's. What is worse is all of the offensively skewed rules that have been added/tweaked in the last 15 or so years. Like it or not people want to see high powered offense and so the league obliged by tilting the field to the offense with these rules. 
Agreed.  And the changes every season that they have to push at the beginning of the season to sway the pendulum and then back off.  Like tackling the QB last year and the reviewable PI this year.  It makes the refs unsure of what they are supposed to call.

Not only that but players are looking around to see if the flag is on them. I know players look around for the flag but it's different now because the refs don't even know what they are calling. There are so many late flags and ref conferences because of inconsistencies and rule changes. And that's another thing, quit fucking with the rules. It's like no one knows what pass interference is now. And then you get New York deciding the call. The extra flags definitely mess with the flow and momentum.

I fondly remember playing H.S. football back in the 70s.  Every guy in H.S. wanted to play and have the chance to just unload on someone's ass.  Some massive hitting going on and hardly any flags.  Maybe off sides or something simple like that.  Even the opposing quarterback was a standing target.  Not like today by no means...

Dan Orlovsky was a crap QB but he's a great commentator for ESPN He said earlier this month that CTE won't ruin the League, bad officiating will. I think he's right. And it's in part caused by the non-stop tinkering with the rules.

I suggest you guys check out Packers Football. You might like that; the refs have let their offensive line "just play" since 1993...

There has been an awful lot of talk about officiating lately (which is good). Especially since the Saints-Rams fiasco last year. I'm hoping the NFL is paying attention to the negative reactions. Hell, even Tom Brady tweeted that he couldn't finish watching a Thursday Night game because of the penalties.

And that bullshit offensive PI against Cook on Digg's touchdown still gripes my ass.

Wow. Good to know.

I think of it this way.

Since Zim arrived in 2014 the way he coaches and his players perform on defense has changed significantly.

IMO the rule changes that began last year  neutered  the Vikings ability to physically defend. 

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Something inherently wrong with hearing "The play is being reviewed IN NEW YORK"
It's like the Wizzard of Oz. Some dweeb behind the curtain is pulling the strings. No chance of corruption or ineptitude there I am sure!

I'm still pissed about the review of something that wasn't called on the field. The intent of the review is to see if it was a TD or not period!

Review the catch or score but to comb back through the entire play is absolutely idiotic.  To take a score away just because the refs missed a minor penalty that didn’t effect the TD is a good way to cause people to turn off their TVs and do something else.

Quote: @greediron said:
@bigbone62 said:
I think we need to start differentiating between the refs being bad individually and the way in which the league wants the refs to call the game being bad. JMO, but the refs arent any worse now than when I first started watching in the 80's. What is worse is all of the offensively skewed rules that have been added/tweaked in the last 15 or so years. Like it or not people want to see high powered offense and so the league obliged by tilting the field to the offense with these rules. 
Agreed.  And the changes every season that they have to push at the beginning of the season to sway the pendulum and then back off.  Like tackling the QB last year and the reviewable PI this year.  It makes the refs unsure of what they are supposed to call.
100% my thought on what all of the rules impacting refs and how they are perceived.7 of 40 is what coaches are with the PI challenge this season. Feels like there were 4 challenges upheld in the first two weeks. So not a good shot at winning these challenges after week 2. From weeks 3-6 coaches were 1-21.

Well, I attribute most of the "new" penalty enforcement as a microcosm of our societal slobbering devotion to technology.  Look at YouTube.  Every time some knucklehead gets pulled over for speeding, out pops the cell phone video recording every word and picture of the "injustice" they are undergoing.  We're looking for ironclad proof to right every perceived wrong...judgement is no longer an option.

With cameras covering every inch of the field...even embedded along the sidelines to record the slightest centimeter of a foot touching the boundary marker, refs are scrutinized ad infinitum for every call they make.  Hell, even the POS coach for the Ain'ts whips the Louisiana legislature into enough of a frenzy to have them pass a resolution to brow beat the NFL suits into submission.  Now we have phantom "offensive interference" calls in almost every game.  (I agree with the announcer for the Vikes game last week vs. the Eagles, if both players are handsy on the play, they shouldn't throw a flag.)

So that genie is out of the bottle, folks, and it ain't going away.  If a pass interference non-call is subject to review, will holding calls missed by the refs but caught on camera be next?