Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome back, Marcus Sherels
Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
I can't wait to see one certain guy on Sunday that absolutely hates Sherels.  He says he always fair catches everything, or at least way too many.  I can't argue the point too much because at times during his returning career I've thought the same.  However, I do think he's become more aggressive over the years, and much more so than early in his career. 

I always look at punt returning as a "free" offensive play, so even a one yard return is better than zero.  If the guy knows he can catch it cleanly and also knows he can avoid getting blasted then he shouldn't fair catch.  Experience helps a lot in judging that when the ball is in the air.  That's why I think Marcus improved his ratio and will be good to have back there again.
Catching it is the first thing.  Also depends on what the call is up front, if the call is to go after the block then he knows he doesn't have much blocking.  Also, it may have been more on the coach as well.  Will be interesting with a new coach. 

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
Special teams can breathe a sigh of relief...Marcus is back!
                                       [Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
I can't wait to see one certain guy on Sunday that absolutely hates Sherels.  He says he always fair catches everything, or at least way too many.  I can't argue the point too much because at times during his returning career I've thought the same.  However, I do think he's become more aggressive over the years, and much more so than early in his career. 

I always look at punt returning as a "free" offensive play, so even a one yard return is better than zero.  If the guy knows he can catch it cleanly and also knows he can avoid getting blasted then he shouldn't fair catch.  Experience helps a lot in judging that when the ball is in the air.  That's why I think Marcus improved his ratio and will be good to have back there again.
Wasn't so much the fair catches as the ones he wouldn't catch that would always get a kicking team bounce and roll when he had ample time to actually make the catch but would shy away to early. 

Don't get the bad mouthing of Sherels as a punt returner.  I get that he serves really only on 1 phase of the team, despite being listed as a DB.  But this guy is a rock back there.
Quote:He stepped in as the Vikings primary punt returner in 2011 and never
looked back. From 2011-19, Sherels returned 231 punts for 2,447 yards
(10.6 average) and five touchdowns. He also returned 53 kickoffs for
1,350 yards (25.5 average).
I think 5 TDs is the viking record for PR.  He doesn't look like much, but he is so elusive and experienced back there.

Also, this
Quote:

Sherels played a big role in the Vikings 23-20 win over the Bears at Soldier Field in 2015.

Late in the first quarter, Sherels returned a punt return 65 yards
for a touchdown. The highlight-reel play gave the Vikings a 7-3 lead
over the Bears and helped Minnesota win at Chicago for the first time
since 2007.

The score was Sherels’ third of his career and broke a Vikings record he shared with Mewelde Moore and David Palmer.

Sherels has played the Bears 14 times and has averaged 26.4 yards
per punt return, which is the fourth-most among opponents he’s faced.
https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-re-...gs-to-know

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Treadwell is back.  I know Treadwell knows 5e system but wasnt there some one out there on the bone pile better than him?
I think since we were down to 3 healthy WRs, Treadwell was the sensible if not scintillating choice...

Marcus Sherels = Like
Laquon Treadwell = WTF Troy Aikman

Quote: @greediron said:
Don't get the bad mouthing of Sherels as a punt returner.  I get that he serves really only on 1 phase of the team, despite being listed as a DB.  But this guy is a rock back there.
He stepped in as the Vikings primary punt returner in 2011 and never
looked back. From 2011-19, Sherels returned 231 punts for 2,447 yards
(10.6 average) and five touchdowns. He also returned 53 kickoffs for
1,350 yards (25.5 average).
I think 5 TDs is the viking record for PR.  He doesn't look like much, but he is so elusive and experienced back there.

And ball security is job one. He is real good at that. It's nice to have a lot of flashy return yards, but a turnover isn't very forgivable when the defense just stopped their offense.
Marcus has always been good with ball security first, and has done well on returns.
He s smart, and doesn't fair catch inside the ten very often.
I'm glad he is healthy, and glad to see him back.

Beebe appears to be made of glass

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
Beebe appears to be made of glass
Though it appears that way right now, let's hope It's not true. He really is an asset to this team when healthy. Let's be patient, and give him the time to rehab and come back.