Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beebe as holder?
IMO@JimmyinSD said:
Quote:
@BrickVike said:
i think the question of Beebe’s injury history is when he gets dinged as a reciever or returner the Vikes are now using the 2nd string holder who hasnt been getting the reps in a very precise process. if they use the punter or backup QB their chance of injury is much smaller. 
That's a valid point,  but all the nail biting has been about exposing. Beebe and AT to getting their hand kicked or being in a vulnerable position which IMO was ridiculous considering the hits they take as receivers.

Considering Beebes inability to finish games and the difficulty we have had with PK holders,  perhaps he isnt the best choice for the holder job.

If they decide on QB depth soon, holder should come from that position.  IMO

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BrickVike said:
i think the question of Beebe’s injury history is when he gets dinged as a reciever or returner the Vikes are now using the 2nd string holder who hasnt been getting the reps in a very precise process. if they use the punter or backup QB their chance of injury is much smaller. 
That's a valid point,  but all the nail biting has been about exposing. Beebe and AT to getting their hand kicked or being in a vulnerable position which IMO was ridiculous considering the hits they take as receivers.

Considering Beebes inability to finish games and the difficulty we have had with PK holders,  perhaps he isnt the best choice for the holder job.
Go back and re-read VikingOracle's original post...  that wasn't what he meant.  It's what a few posters inferred, but he just asked the question...  "But why would you have someone who has an injury history be the primary holder?"

He didn't say Beebe would be at more of an injury risk with these added holder duties.

I agree it does seem strange to have a WR has a holder.  Has that ever been done?  I don't recall any Viking WR that was a holder.  Usually it's someone who doesn't see the field much; like a backup QB or maybe the punter. 

Like Oracle says, what if Beebe gets dinged up while playing WR, now we need to hope the backup holder can take his place.

To me it makes more sense to have Sloter or Mannion can take over that job.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I agree it does seem strange to have a WR has a holder.  Has that ever been done?  I don't recall any Viking WR that was a holder.  Usually it's someone who doesn't see the field much; like a backup QB or maybe the punter. 

Like Oracle says, what if Beebe gets dinged up while playing WR, now we need to hope the backup holder can take his place.

To me it makes more sense to have Sloter or Mannion can take over that job.
I think what the Vikings want more than anything else is continuity. It's why they drafted a center in the 1st after watching Cousins take snaps from 4 different centers last season. It's why they moved on from McDermott so quickly: to get what will be the long-term snapper/holder/kicker battery in place as soon as possible. Sloter may not be on the team 3 weeks from now. Mannion may not be. Wile and/or Bailey may not be. One thing we know about Beebe is that he will be on the team. 

I remember Bud Grant switching from the back up QB holding because one of his broke an arm, I couldn’t tell you who that QB was, however...

Why do teams no longer use back-up QBs in this role?  It used to be what most teams did but I don’t know that anyone does anymore.  If a play broke down it would be nice to have someone back there that could throw the ball.

If Beebe does get injured, will it mean that he can't hold?  Only a few injuries would really prevent the guy from holding.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
Why do teams no longer use back-up QBs in this role?  It used to be what most teams did but I don’t know that anyone does anymore.  If a play broke down it would be nice to have someone back there that could throw the ball.
Traditionally, it was the backup QB...  I think more teams have moved to the punter being the holder because of the way practices are structured.  The kicker, punter, and long snapper are always working together on a side field and I think most teams figured it was more efficient to have the punter be the holder than to send the backup QB or another player to hold for the kicker.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@VikingOracle said:
@MaroonBells said:
Great hands....roster efficiency....weapon on fakes. 
I get all of that especially with the new special teams coach but Beebe has not showed that he can stay on the field.  
It's a good question, VikingOracle.  You're not implying that being a "holder" adds to the risk of potential injury...  you're just asking the question, why Beebe specifically, who has a history (dating back to college) of not being able to stay on the field.

I was wondering the same thing...  traditionally, the holder has been the backup QB or more recently the team's punter.  I have a feeling that the Vikings aren't entirely sold on Wile as the punter and wanted to give themselves an option at holder in the event he gets replaced.
Exactly.  I don't know why the backup QB is not, at least, in the practice holding queue. 

No, I did not think he would get hurt holding -- more I worried he would get hurt during a game (as the 3rd receiver and punt returner) and suddenly you would need to bring in a new holder who hasn't practiced (perhaps) for weeks as the holder.  Do you want a potential game winning kick to be held by someone who is not the regular holder?  That is why the back-up QB makes sense. 

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
I blame it on Tony Romo in the game vs the Seahawks.  He was the holder as he was the backup QB, but once he became the starter they kept him holding the kicks.  Obviously a lot of his problem was that ball was slicker than snot, but regardless its all about consistency as someone else said.  Let the punter hold it.  Short of a few examples how often does your punter go out of the game for injury?