Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How valuable is WR3 in a Kubiak offense?
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
Hate to keep beating this point but is it Kubiak's offense or his design or just what??? Is he even going to be there game day? I'm never been sure what his roll will be when the bullets start flying. 
Stefanski is calling plays in game,  right??  So he'll be calling Kubiak's plays when he thinks they fit. Is that the plan?  So it's Kubiak's offense driven by Kevin. I only keep saying this because Kevin has been a very loyal team guy. He was refused to be allowed interviews elsewhere. So then he gets his shot. He accepted the open OC job here. Only to find out he's got another new boss after he accepted. Or so it seems. Finally gets his shot and it's not even called "his" offense. Good thing he is a loyal team guy. A lesser man might habor resentment. I know I know... I'm just saying though. Just don't give me this. Well he says there's no problem and it's a great working relationship...ect..blah blah. I wouldn't expect a loyal guy like Kevin to say anything less.
I think it was likley Stefanskis call to bring in Kubiak to work with him.   Kubiak is like a position coach from the sounds of it.   He will work with the players at practice,  he will have the OCs ear,  but it will be KS running the team meetings,   developing the game plans (surely with Kubiaks assistance) and KS calling plays on game day.  everybody needs to relax a bit on who does what,  Kubiak isnt the first former HC to come back to the game in a reduced role.
I know he's not the 1st. I don't remember others getting it called theirs. For a part time job.
I agree,  IMO its the minny sports media that are doing their best to create a story by constantly pushing the Kubiaks offense angle.   I think Stefanski seems grounded enough though to not really give a shit at this point,  he knows that if it fails it will be his failure and not Kubiaks so he is likely happy to let GK deal with the distractions while he gets to make the baby.
Kevin's got the right demeanor for it. I'm just saying what ifs. I guess my only worry is that Kevin is not as on board with it as seems. I would hate for this to work only to have Kevin leave after this year for a OC/Asst HC type position. Then what we got? An old coach with questionable health that only wants to work PT. 
Don't mind me. I only like to worry.
I think this is all part of a plan.  Zimmer and Kubiak are old dogs and they know it.  IMO this is Stefanskis audition for Zimmers job in a couple years,   Kubiak is along for the ride as that would open up a OC position for his son Clint who is a close friend of Stefanski and is currently the QB coach iirc.  I think there is a plan here but the team will never admit it publicly.

Quote: @pumpf said:
This was a REALLY great read!  Thanks for sharing it!
The thing that I keep wondering about... is how much of Kubiak will be part of our scheme... and how much of it will be Stefanski?  I thought I read something previously that put it (around) 70% Kubiak and 30% Stefanski.  I thought that seemed a little weird, since Stefanski is the OC.  
I guess another way to put it... is this: is this really going to be a "Kubiak" offense... or are we just installing parts/concepts... but- in reality- it will be somewhat different?  I guess we won't know for another couple of months. 
I would guess that the primary change would be in how much play action we use... which- I assume- will increase quite a bit. 
In a recent interview, Kubiak said that Kevin is running the show on offense...  he said Kevin is the one teaching in meeting rooms (Kubiak is there to observe and offer insights here and there), the primary voice for the offense in practice, etc.  He also said that him and Kevin have collaborated together to fit different concepts in with the personnel we have and have blended what Kevin likes with what Kubiak likes to make "The Minnesota Vikings Offense" is how he put it.

Ok Ok I'll stop. Jeez... I sometimes sound like I've got some serious abandonment issues. Years of being left at the altar is my excuse.

I think the whole Kubiak-Stefanski thing is overblown.  I just think we and the media are in limbo as
to what a Stefanski offense looks like as he’s a first time OC and Kubiak has a
long track record.  Also, I can’t imagine
they would bring Kubiak in to help with a completely foreign offense, so his
ideas are probably going to contribute heavily to the plan, but I think that
goes without saying.

I'm sure that over the years Kevin has been putting together a scheme that he believes will lead to a successful Offense while he bided his time waiting for a promotion to OC.

He's seen the KAO. Norv's Air Coryell. Shurmer's Misdirection and Horseshoe. And D-Flop's whatever the hell that shit show was scheme.

Oh, and one of his closest friends happens to be the son of a guy with his own scheme.

So he finally gets his chance and the 1st thing he does is get his buddy Klint AND his dad to come on board.

To me this shows that out of all the flavors of Offense he's seen over the he years, both in Minnesota and around the League, it's the Kubiak run-first, ZBS, Two TE sets and heavy play action that he thinks works best for the personnel he inherited.

I see a young OC wanting to maximize his chance for a successful promotion by not only using a system he trusts but also bringing in that system's guru to help him make sure he gets it right.

If Kevin had no connection to Klint or Gary and Zimmer hired them and forced them on him we'd be looking at the Too Many Chefs scenario a lot of fans seem to think is happening.

But I think the opposite happened. Kevin saw an opportunity to hook up with his buddy Klint, nab his buddy's dad plus an O-Line guru and sold Mike and Rick on it.

Oh, and did I mention that Kirk's old OC was also a disciple of that same scheme?

This is Kevin's show. His scheme will be heavy on Kubiak principles but will have his own wrinkles he's developed over the years waiting for this opportunity. And Mike gets an ex-HC to bounce ideas off of ala Tony & Pat.

Frankly, it's an ideal situation. The young guys get space to show their stuff with support as needed from the old guys.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I'm sure that over the years Kevin has been putting together a scheme that he believes will lead to a successful Offense while he bided his time waiting for a promotion to OC.

He's seen the KAO. Norv's Air Coryell. Shurmer's Misdirection and Horseshoe. And D-Flop's whatever the hell that shit show was scheme.

Oh, and one of his closest friends happens to be the son of a guy with his own scheme.

So he finally gets his chance and the 1st thing he does is get his buddy Klint AND his dad to come on board.

To me this shows that out of all the flavors of Offense he's seen over the he years, both in Minnesota and around the League, it's the Kubiak run-first, ZBS, Two TE sets and heavy play action that he thinks works best for the personnel he inherited.

I see a young OC wanting to maximize his chance for a successful promotion by not only using a system he trusts but also bringing in that system's guru to help him make sure he gets it right.

If Kevin had no connection to Klint or Gary and Zimmer hired them and forced them on him we'd be looking at the Too Many Chefs scenario a lot of fans seem to think is happening.

But I think the opposite happened. Kevin saw an opportunity to hook up with his buddy Klint, nab his buddy's dad plus an O-Line guru and sold Mike and Rick on it.

Oh, and did I mention that Kirk's old OC was also a disciple of that same scheme?

This is Kevin's show. His scheme will be heavy on Kubiak principles but will have his own wrinkles he's developed over the years waiting for this opportunity. And Mike gets an ex-HC to bounce ideas off of ala Tony & Pat.

Frankly, it's an ideal situation. The young guys get space to show their stuff with support as needed from the old guys.
Agree with most of what you say here, but I sort of think once Kubiak became available--a situation NOBODY expected, even Kubiak--then Zimmer and Rick jumped on it, figuring they could work out the Kube/Stef relationship later. I really have no idea. I'm sure we'll find out at some point, but that's my hunch.

It really was a godsend that was the perfect solution to our biggest problem. And the fact that Kubiak is not interested in full time work and comes with his own OL coach, fit like a glove too. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
Hate to keep beating this point but is it Kubiak's offense or his design or just what??? Is he even going to be there game day? I'm never been sure what his roll will be when the bullets start flying. 
Stefanski is calling plays in game,  right??  So he'll be calling Kubiak's plays when he thinks they fit. Is that the plan?  So it's Kubiak's offense driven by Kevin. I only keep saying this because Kevin has been a very loyal team guy. He was refused to be allowed interviews elsewhere. So then he gets his shot. He accepted the open OC job here. Only to find out he's got another new boss after he accepted. Or so it seems. Finally gets his shot and it's not even called "his" offense. Good thing he is a loyal team guy. A lesser man might habor resentment. I know I know... I'm just saying though. Just don't give me this. Well he says there's no problem and it's a great working relationship...ect..blah blah. I wouldn't expect a loyal guy like Kevin to say anything less.
I think it was likley Stefanskis call to bring in Kubiak to work with him.   Kubiak is like a position coach from the sounds of it.   He will work with the players at practice,  he will have the OCs ear,  but it will be KS running the team meetings,   developing the game plans (surely with Kubiaks assistance) and KS calling plays on game day.  everybody needs to relax a bit on who does what,  Kubiak isnt the first former HC to come back to the game in a reduced role.
I know he's not the 1st. I don't remember others getting it called theirs. For a part time job.
I agree,  IMO its the minny sports media that are doing their best to create a story by constantly pushing the Kubiaks offense angle.   I think Stefanski seems grounded enough though to not really give a shit at this point,  he knows that if it fails it will be his failure and not Kubiaks so he is likely happy to let GK deal with the distractions while he gets to make the baby.
Kevin's got the right demeanor for it. I'm just saying what ifs. I guess my only worry is that Kevin is not as on board with it as seems. I would hate for this to work only to have Kevin leave after this year for a OC/Asst HC type position. Then what we got? An old coach with questionable health that only wants to work PT. 
Don't mind me. I only like to worry.
He has at least a 2 year contract for Vikes. Only two ways he leaves. Vikes fire him or he is hired as a Head Coach of another team.

Ok Ok I'll stop. Jeez... I sometimes sound like I've got some serious abandonment issues. Years of being left at the altar is my excuse.
Left at the altar hell.  More like on the way to the altar and run over in the church parking lot. 

i think this whole made up drama is just that and we and tgey have nothing better to talk about. 

my concern would be if stephaniski sucks and gets fired 4 games in. 

Quote: @RS Express said:
@suncoastvike said:
Left at the altar hell.  More like on the way to the altar and run over in the church parking lot. 
Well at least I would be dressed correctly for both occasions.