Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continue to read the low level buzz about DT Jalyn Holmes
Quote: @Canthony said:
If he works out as well... Rick has to get some credit. We have found some gems on the defense! Granted, who knows how much of that is Zimmer picking his guys.
I think they all get their credit.   I'd probably give the most credit to Patterson and Zimmer as I think coaching is bigger than picking the right guys.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Canthony said:
If he works out as well... Rick has to get some credit. We have found some gems on the defense! Granted, who knows how much of that is Zimmer picking his guys.
I think they all get their credit.   I'd probably give the most credit to Patterson and Zimmer as I think coaching is bigger than picking the right guys.
I think it goes hand in hand,  if the GM making the picks and the coaches arent on the same page in terms of system required talent then you end up with the Browns.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@medaille said:
@Canthony said:
I think it goes hand in hand,  if the GM making the picks and the coaches arent on the same page in terms of system required talent then you end up with the Browns.
Indeed.  Or if the guy isn't coachable, no amount of coaching can change that.  Or if he isn't a fit.
The GM and scouts find the guys that the coaches want and can teach.  That is how successful teams do it.  On defense, we have had the same system for many years now and it is evident.  On offense, the constant turnover has interrupted that development.  Hopefully we have a system in place now that will last more than a year.

I hope Jalyn is the guy the steps up.  I am from Iowa and know a couple individuals that played with Jaleel, not to say he can't grow up or become more dedicated, but they essentially state he got by on pure athletic ability, didn't put the time or effort in to truly be successful.  I still question whether he started making some progress as he did have some pretty good success his senior year, but in general they don't think he has the drive to truly excel at the NFL level.   At this point all he has shown is he can stay on the roster, I am curious if he can take the step forward, as it sounds like Jalyn is really putting his best foot forward.  Hopefully one or both turn out to be success stories for us. 

Quote: @Kmerry82 said:
I hope Jalyn is the guy the steps up.  I am from Iowa and know a couple individuals that played with Jaleel, not to say he can't grow up or become more dedicated, but they essentially state he got by on pure athletic ability, didn't put the time or effort in to truly be successful.  I still question whether he started making some progress as he did have some pretty good success his senior year, but in general they don't think he has the drive to truly excel at the NFL level.   At this point all he has shown is he can stay on the roster, I am curious if he can take the step forward, as it sounds like Jalyn is really putting his best foot forward.  Hopefully one or both turn out to be success stories for us. 
I have to think that if he wasnt working... he wouldnt be there.  Zim can put up with some shit,  but I doubt its lack of effort.

Great to hear he has bulked up, indicates he is definitely aiming to play DT. I think Holmes is a great talent, but he is also similar to Datone Jones, who was a disappointing conversion attempt. Hopefully this is more successful, since Holmes has not been ruined by 4 years of mis-coaching in Green Bay...

I'm sure he'll be a big part of the rotation this year. I sort of wonder if 3T is going to be less Stephen's job and more of a rotation of players like Stephen, Holmes, Griffen, and Watts. Jaleel Johnson probably moves to nose. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kmerry82 said:
I have to think that if he wasnt working... he wouldnt be there.  Zim can put up with some shit,  but I doubt its lack of effort.
Probably a matter of perspective.  Anyone that gets to the NFL has an elite level of talent and has worked to get there.  But to become a starter, to actually compete against other in the NFL takes another level of dedication. 

Just like good old Easton getting roasted on 96 questions as very unathletic.  But as BRob closed it out, "At the end of the day, he is in the NFL".

I heard PA talking about it the other day.  George Edwards was raving about Holmes and said to watch out for him this season.

That'd be awesome if Holmes contributes!

I've pretty much written Jaleel Johnson off as Scott Crichton 2.0 on the DL. Would love to be wrong.