Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kiper picks Bradbury as Instant Impact player
Quote: @Canthony said:
@MaroonBells said:
This is really good to see...Back in January, two offensive linemen really stood out to me....Fast forward three months, they're next to each other in purple. 

[Image: D5q8LLwX4AULxQN.jpg:large]

I agree that Samia will win the LG spot. He is very quick with his feet for a big man. He needs to be better with his hands at times though. Overall, Samia was a steal in the 4th and will be an impact player on that line.
why do you assume he will be @ LG?  I would think RG is as much up for grabs as LG.   Where will they be trying to plug Elf in at?  IMO Kline is the biggest ? in that interior group.  I am also wondering about Collins,  where will he fit in this year?  he could easily be in the conversation at either OG spot this year as well if he healed ok.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@MaroonBells said:
This is really good to see...Back in January, two offensive linemen really stood out to me....Fast forward three months, they're next to each other in purple. 

[Image: D5q8LLwX4AULxQN.jpg:large]

I agree that Samia will win the LG spot. He is very quick with his feet for a big man. He needs to be better with his hands at times though. Overall, Samia was a steal in the 4th and will be an impact player on that line.
why do you assume he will be @ LG?  I would think RG is as much up for grabs as LG.   Where will they be trying to plug Elf in at?  IMO Kline is the biggest ? in that interior group.  I am also wondering about Collins,  where will he fit in this year?  he could easily be in the conversation at either OG spot this year as well if he healed ok.
Unless they trade Elflein, he's getting one of those positions. Unfortunately, all three (Elf, Kline and Samia) have more experience playing right guard. If I were to guess, I'd say starting lineup is LG-Elf, C-Brad, RG-Kline, with Samia pushing Kline at RG and Collins pushing Elf at LG. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Unless they trade Elflein, he's getting one of those positions. Unfortunately, all three (Elf, Kline and Samia) have more experience playing right guard. If I were to guess, I'd say starting lineup is LG-Elf, C-Brad, RG-Kline, with Samia pushing Kline at RG and Collins pushing Elf at LG. 
I've been wondering about this...  does anyone know what an outside zone blocking scheme requires of its offensive lineman?  I'm talking specific positions... 

Would it make more sense for the Vikings to put a much better athlete at LG (Bradbury) for pulls and also allow him to help block before he peels off to the 2nd level on outside zone runs?  Or is it better to have him at C? 

This is something I've been wondering about since we drafted Bradbury.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:

I've been wondering about this...  does anyone know what an outside zone blocking scheme requires of its offensive lineman?  I'm talking specific positions... 

Would it make more sense for the Vikings to put a much better athlete at LG (Bradbury) for pulls and also allow him to help block before he peels off to the 2nd level on outside zone runs?  Or is it better to have him at C? 

I wish I knew more about the Xs and Os, but from everything I've heard and read, the most important position in the outside zone is the center. He not only makes the line calls but he's typically the one making the sealing reach block to open a lane for the RB. So he's got to be very smart and very athletic. One interesting point about smarts. I just looked it up: Pat Elflein's Wonderlic was 21. Bradbury, 35, Samia, 38

Here's an article on the importance of center to the zone. 

http://www.knbr.com/2017/03/16/why-the-center-position-is-vital-in-kyle-shanahans-offense/

All of this talk about offensive linemen marks a good time to point out how important the center position is in Shanahan’s offense, both in the run game and the pass.
Shanahan will repeatedly tell you this during his interviews this season: Everything is predicated off the running game. His zone-blocking scheme requires extra communication between the linemen because of all the double-teaming they’ll do. The center position, who was Alex Mack two of the last three seasons under Shanahan, often has to play the middle man in these pre-snap exchanges. When a running play fails to gain yardage, often times it’s miscommunication that’s at fault.
There are two different types of runs Shanahan typically calls: inside-zone and outside-zone — both require succinct athleticism from the center. On an inside-zone, the center double-teams the defensive tackle into a stronghold of one of the guards and then has to race up the field to get his hands on the middle linebacker. On outside-zone plays, the center usually is asked to perform a “reach block,” essentially pushing a defensive player toward the sideline and out of the play. Moving in space is valued just as high — if not more — than strength.
It’s the passing game where the center position in Shanahan’s system really takes on different role than most other players around the league. Mack was a smart enough player where he handled all the checks and protections at the line, freeing up Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to focus on the secondary instead. The same was true in Cleveland in 2014, where Brian Hoyer posted career-best numbers with Mack calling the shots at the line.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:

I wish I knew more about the Xs and Os, but from everything I've heard and read, the most important position in the outside zone is the center. He not only makes the line calls but he's typically the one making the sealing reach block to open a lane for the RB. So he's got to be very smart and very athletic. One interesting point about smarts. I just looked it up: Pat Elflein's Wonderlic was 21. Bradbury, 35, Samia, 38

Here's an article on the importance of center to the zone. 

http://www.knbr.com/2017/03/16/why-the-center-position-is-vital-in-kyle-shanahans-offense/

All of this talk about offensive linemen marks a good time to point out how important the center position is in Shanahan’s offense, both in the run game and the pass.
Shanahan will repeatedly tell you this during his interviews this season: Everything is predicated off the running game. His zone-blocking scheme requires extra communication between the linemen because of all the double-teaming they’ll do. The center position, who was Alex Mack two of the last three seasons under Shanahan, often has to play the middle man in these pre-snap exchanges. When a running play fails to gain yardage, often times it’s miscommunication that’s at fault.
There are two different types of runs Shanahan typically calls: inside-zone and outside-zone — both require succinct athleticism from the center. On an inside-zone, the center double-teams the defensive tackle into a stronghold of one of the guards and then has to race up the field to get his hands on the middle linebacker. On outside-zone plays, the center usually is asked to perform a “reach block,” essentially pushing a defensive player toward the sideline and out of the play. Moving in space is valued just as high — if not more — than strength.
It’s the passing game where the center position in Shanahan’s system really takes on different role than most other players around the league. Mack was a smart enough player where he handled all the checks and protections at the line, freeing up Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan to focus on the secondary instead. The same was true in Cleveland in 2014, where Brian Hoyer posted career-best numbers with Mack calling the shots at the line.
Thanks for sharing that.  And add in the subtle difference that the center has to be more athletic just by having to snap before starting to block.  Sounds like Kubiak probably influenced center as a "need".  Glad I am not calling the shots, I wouldn't have called that pick.
Sheesh, can we get to football already?

That is some great information, Maroon.  After reading that, I think it erases any doubt about where Bradbury will be playing this season.

Pete B breaks down some film on him and dang, his ability to reach is impressive.
https://www.vikings.com/video/garrett-br...-film-room