Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings moving Kearse to Linebacker?
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Kearse is our ONLY veteran backup at Safety, yet they are talking about moving him to a different position? To me, that suggests the coaches aren't particularly happy with him as a DB, even after 3 seasons here...and this is a guy with plenty of natural talent. Feels like, "last chance to make to make it, try a different position".
By most accounts, Kearse played well last year in the big nickel role. The impression I've gotten from everything I've read is that it's an attempt to get him on the field MORE, not some sort of last chance to make the roster. 

If the team thought Kearse was prospectively a great LB why wasn't he already moved there? I'm with Jor a bit - it feels like a way of saying "we like you dude but it isn't going to happen at safety"

It also kinda doesn't feel very good that my gut goes, "heck yea we need a linebacker!"

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
If the team thought Kearse was prospectively a great LB why wasn't he already moved there? I'm with Jor a bit - it feels like a way of saying "we like you dude but it isn't going to happen at safety"

It also kinda doesn't feel very good that my gut goes, "heck yea we need a linebacker!"
Sounds like the Vikings were surprised at what they got from Kearse in the big nickel. Particularly against the run. Zimmer is probably thinking Kearse can be a taller Deone Bucannon playing the money backer role. It plays to his strength (closer to the ball) and mitigates his weakness (coverage). 

https://climbingthepocket.com/2018/11/04/big-nickel-my-nickel/

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BlackMagic7" said:

Sounds like the Vikings were surprised at what they got from Kearse in the big nickel. Particularly against the run. Zimmer is probably thinking Kearse can be a taller Deone Bucannon playing the money backer role. It plays to his strength (closer to the ball) and mitigates his weakness (coverage). 

https://climbingthepocket.com/2018/11/04/big-nickel-my-nickel/
It just goes to the optimism vs pessimism take.  Kearse played well closer to the line, so why not give him a chance to play more?  Why didn't they last year?  Because he was a backup safety and competing for that spot.  But need pushed him into a new role, so give him a shot to earn more.

Why did it wait until we drafted another safety though?

I'm excited to see what he can do at the position. Its not like safety to linebacker has never been done. I like what Zimmer is saying - the timing is suspect. Zimmer could be simply explaining why we didnt release him outright - because he performed solid in the Big Nickle and another look at him at LB is free.

His comments should keep Kearse motivated...

We'll see what his role is.