Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I had to work today...How's everyone feeling to-date about the haul???
I am actually very intrigued by Epps.  This is from Zone Coverage: "With nine interceptions in his first three seasons, Epps splashed as a four-year player and three-year captain at Wyoming after joining the team as a walk-on. Though his production dipped a bit in his senior year, Epps graded out as a strong tackler and had a phenomenal Pro Day where he measured out as top-five prospect in agility drills."  Putting aside that his measurables are actually very good -- especially for someone not invited to the Combine, he was a 3 year captain -- which I find very impressive.  I also watched his highlights (which, of course, are great) and saw some real instincts. He is someone I am going to watch going forward because there is definitely a roster spot available for a safety.  Watching him run with interceptions also made me think he has some PR or KR in him. 

My favorite project player to watch is Oli Udoh.  Still can't believe he has a 6'-8" grandmother.
He is probably a real long shot but if he could develop into a starter or good backup and not just be a big slow guy, it would be great to see a right tackle with his size.

Udoh really has some upside...can we coach him up is the question...you can't teach 36" arms. ..love the fact he went to the Senior Bowl and held his own...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think we got Day 1 contributors with our first 4 picks, which is rare considering where we picked in each round...

Bradbury was an excellent pick and Irv Smith was a steal.  Bradbury will start and Irv will get snaps right away in our starting offense.

Mattison looks like a svelte Eddie Lacy (that's a compliment, not a dig).  Big back with nimble feet and a nice hurdle move.  Nose for the end zone and soft hands.  He'll get some touches this season.

Then we get Samia...  he might not start Day 1, but we always seem to have an injury or two (or three or four) along the OL.  I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Kline at RG...  Great fit for our ZBS and we finally have some depth on the bench that can actually play...  BOOM

There are some nice developmental players amongst our 20+ Day 3 picks... The two WRs are intriguing the more I read up/watch and Udoh has a ton of raw talent.

Overall, I'd give it an A.
Nice summary, Wet, thanks.  I know you follow the draft closely, and it's good to hear that you think RS and company did pretty well.

I'm actually overwhelmed. Enormous draft class. It's daunting. It's like Christmas when you're 8 years old. So many new toys to play with you forget about some. 

2019 will be remembered as the year we got Garrett Bradbury and Irv Smith, Jr. This Kubiak offense is going to be exciting to watch. Going into day 3, the two players that I probably wanted most were Dru Samia and Oli Udoh and we got them both. 

Oddly, the pick that I keep coming back to is Mad Dog Mattison. Was not a fan of the trade down and my first reaction to the pick was "WHO???" I only looked at a handful of RBs this year and he was not one of them. But after learning more about him, I might be more excited about this player than any of them.

I'm trying to find a comp for Mattison...maybe James Wilder? Jamal Anderson? Ricky Bell?

In Vikings history, I'd say he's in the Chester Taylor mold.   

I think this was a good draft. Heavy on the offensive side of the ball with an emphasis on scheme fit, which explains the Mattison pick at three. All the trading back worried me because there was a need for another good O-lineman, and I think they got one.
The first 4 picks seem to be solid, with at least 3 of them fulfilling needs as active contributors this year; and maybe all 4.
The rest are a bit more of a crap shoot. But out of the 8 remaining along with the UDFA's, there is sure to be a special teams ace or two that will contribute this year, as well as some with potential to make the team.
I wasn't so sure about the draft at first blush, but have to say I think it was pretty good.

The first two rounders should be starters for the next decade, then Mattison should be a solid running back, able to get first downs.  After that its a crap shoot.  Samia will get a chance, has good experience, needs some strength training,  may fit fairly well in the zone blocking scheme.  Could be a replacement level guard for a few years, maybe if he gets the chance could be productive for a while.  The rest of the picks if you can get two starters beyond the longsnapper out of the 7 picks its a win.  I will also include the UDFA.  After watching some highlights, I wouldn't be surprised if Daniels WR is actually the best of the three receivers we drafted or signed.  His quick feet remind me of Diggs.  Udoh is the most likely player that I see that can succeed (I actually would say there is a 40% chance that he will be a starting tackle in the next 3 years), beyond that they are all kind of meh to me.  They may succeed with coaching and self motivation and continued strength training, but you can say that about any player drafted in the 5th to 7th round (I would say 20% success rate for the rest).  Essentially if one of the other players hits the draft overall will be successful.  

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm trying to find a comp for Mattison...maybe James Wilder? Jamal Anderson? Ricky Bell?
He reminds me of a quicker version of Alfred Morris. He has 4.5 to 4.6 speed but what stands out is his 1.51 10-yard split. That’s some serious short area quickness. 

Obviously not saying he’s got the same vision but he’s also very comparable physically to Terrell Davis. 

Another comp I’ve read is Jay Ajayi and I can see that.