Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings in talks to trade up
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:
If we trade in the first to move up, it'll likely be with Buffalo.  They would give up #9 for #18 and Trey Waynes.  They have $30 in cap space.  
I could see Rick moving Waynes to move up. I just don't see him giving up any draft capital. 

Too many questions swirling around Hill and Hughes right now to trade Waynes. Even if Hughes is starting to run around in shorts.
Yeah, it's no slam dunk. The only thing we know for certain is that they've talked to other teams about Waynes. Your point about Hill and Hughes is well taken, but think of it another way: It's no secret that the Vikings loved what they saw from Hughes. Nothing but raves (sure, some of that may have been to justify an unpopular pick), but if they really do think he's the future, it's possible that he beats out Waynes for the starting job. Then you have $9M of cap space devoted to a non-starter when you could've recouped that and gained a day-two pick. And nothing's stopping you from adding corner depth in the middle rounds. Just something to think about. :-)

Who starts the season since Hill is serving a 4 game suspension if you trade Wayne.  Betting a lot, hoping Hill can get his head on straight...

There is a good chance that the top three tackles will be off the hoard at 18, so trading up could make sense if that is what they covet. Though we’d likely need to give up at least a 3rd to move up, which would hurt given the current state of the roster. However, not upgrading the OL would be a disaster & everyone knows that we need OL help, so it is likely that teams would try to trade ahead of us for OL.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:
If we trade in the first to move up, it'll likely be with Buffalo.  They would give up #9 for #18 and Trey Waynes.  They have $30 in cap space.  
I could see Rick moving Waynes to move up. I just don't see him giving up any draft capital. 

Too many questions swirling around Hill and Hughes right now to trade Waynes. Even if Hughes is starting to run around in shorts.
Yeah, it's no slam dunk. The only thing we know for certain is that they've talked to other teams about Waynes. Your point about Hill and Hughes is well taken, but think of it another way: It's no secret that the Vikings loved what they saw from Hughes. Nothing but raves (sure, some of that may have been to justify an unpopular pick), but if they really do think he's the future, it's possible that he beats out Waynes for the starting job. Then you have $9M of cap space devoted to a non-starter when you could've recouped that and gained a day-two pick. And nothing's stopping you from adding corner depth in the middle rounds. Just something to think about. :-)

Who starts the season since Hill is serving a 4 game suspension if you trade Wayne.  Betting a lot, hoping Hill can get his head on straight...
Hughes.

Quote: @Tyr said:
There is a good chance that the top three tackles will be off the hoard at 18, so trading up could make sense if that is what they covet. Though we’d likely need to give up at least a 3rd to move up, which would hurt given the current state of the roster. However, not upgrading the OL would be a disaster & everyone knows that we need OL help, so it is likely that teams would try to trade ahead of us for OL.
I'm all for getting a starting LT by moving up. All for it. There's just no way Rick will do it, he's more concerned about getting five 7th round draft picks. Contrary to this board, I think Reiff sucks and I dare to demand more from that spot (gasp)!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:

Hughes.

I doubt Hughes will be at 100% by the start of the season.  I really hope he can go.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Tyr said:
I'm all for getting a starting LT by moving up. All for it. There's just no way Rick will do it, he's more concerned about getting five 7th round draft picks. Contrary to this board, I think Reiff sucks and I dare to demand more from that spot (gasp)!
I agree with you on the need for improvement at LT, but...who would you trade up to get? Andre Dillard is about the only option, right? But if there is only one viable immediate starter in a draft at a critical position, that guy will go pretty early. So we won’t likely get Dillard without moving up significantly. Is he worth it? I sure don’t think he’s a Tony Boselli / Orlando Pace / Tyron Smith type prospect.

@MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:

Hughes.

I doubt Hughes will be at 100% by the start of the season.  I really hope he can go.
Last thing I saw was he was ahead of schedule, so...maybe he's ready...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:

Hughes.

Last thing I saw was he was ahead of schedule, so...maybe he's ready...

Yeah, he's running straight lines, but no cuts or breaks yet.

If we trade up big im going to be pissed. Esspecially when we could have moved up just a few spots last year and got a starter on the OL. Im not against it if its a sure thing but Im not sure thats the case this year on the OL. 

@MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@lakeerievike said:

Hughes.

I guess he was hurt week 6. I was thinking it was earlier than that. Still, he should be ready to at least participate in training camp, albeit on a limited basis.

Might be counting on too much to pull the trigger on a Waynes trade. But they knew about Hughes when they were talking trade at the combine, so who knows.