Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman extended, Zimmer excited about Cousins with Kubiak
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
These sound like one year prove it deals to me. It feels more like 2019 better be special or there will be no 2020. As it should be really. I like both Rick and Mike. What they have accomplished pales the previous few regimes. However compare them to others in the league not our own preceding failures. Every other year being almost, is just not good enough. Not for what they have been given in comparison to their predecessors.
The organization went all in with Cousins: its do or die for them in 2019. The Wilfs said, 'what you need?', Spielman told them and now results are expected. Its that simple. 
Cousins was a huge piece. There's been more. Pushed through new state of the art stadium and practice facilities. Spent right up to the cap most years. The Wilfs can only spend their money. The results need to come from these two. Otherwise they will invest in others. 
Rick and Mike are not dumb. Both have been around enough to understand. This however doesn't make for an environment that fosters long-term team goals. That is my worry. You think Rick and Mike can afford to be thinking about what makes the team better in 2020?  We will always be a team chasing that one championship. True champions think about the next one and the next. Until we do get one, the team the owners and the fan base will be stuck in this cycle. I've been around long enough too.
But at the same time a dynasty starts with the first championship...or the first million is the hardest to make.  Maybe to much comfort makes them lose a bit of focus on the now,  like last year when the ignored what most fans saw and used Elmer's glue and tissue paper to address the weakest part of the team and then watched as a promising season was derailed as a result.

I get that. Dynasties are not built on a series of desperation moves however. We were ready to win it all now when we lost Teddy. We traded 2 high draft picks but still failed. With nothing to show for it. I know hind site is always 20-20. However this is still a symptom of coaches and GM's desperate to be the one to get that 1st. This goes back decades. Not new to Rick or even Mike. We are always ready to win now it seems. Then 2 years later we have a new coach. Wash rinse repeat. I'm as guilty as they are. I want the one my father never lived long enough to get. Then we can discuss dynasty like you say.