Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We sign Josh Kline
[Image: FdzLJfD.jpg]

Honestly, this is more than I expected them to do in FA. 3rd worst cap space going into FA. Not sure why anyone could have expected more. The interior needs to/should be addressed in April. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Honestly, this is more than I expected them to do in FA. 3rd worst cap space going into FA. Not sure why anyone could have expected more. The interior needs to/should be addressed in April. 
I suspect Viking nation is split between keeping Barr (and EG?) vs maybe doing something splashier in FA for the OL?

Then you have someone like me who sees assets that "may be" leveraged for acquiring OL talent, but that hasn't transpired yet. 

But I hear yah - the cap as it was managed meant very little could be done in FA this year - not that it was a bumper crop in any way. 

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status...1001128961&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fminnesota-vikings

There was no real fix in FA this year outside of maybe two guys...April will mean a lot.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I suspect Viking nation is split between keeping Barr (and EG?) vs maybe doing something splashier in FA for the OL?

Then you have someone like me who sees assets that "may be" leveraged for acquiring OL talent, but that hasn't transpired yet. 

But I hear yah - the cap as it was managed meant very little could be done in FA this year - not that it was a bumper crop in any way. 
I don't think I was ever believing an OL fix was in free agency. Feel that we had other offense areas that could have been addressed but we cannot break up the Zimmer band (Griffen especially should have been cut) I think we are being set up for another WTF moment in the early rounds of the draft.

That is almost as much as Easton.
Why not just pay Easton?
Is Kline that much better than Easton?
He is 2 1/2 years older and turns 30 this year.
Hard to be excited about this dude especially when you consider what they are paying him.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-tennessee-titans-2018-season-recap

Guard Josh Kline allowed 38 pressures on the season, finishing the year as just the 53rd highest-graded guard in the league.
This dude was rated worse then Compton.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-minnesota-vikings-2018-season-recap

Starting guards Mike Remmers and Tom Compton
combined to allow a staggering 77 total pressures. Remmers finished
with an overall grade of 58.9 (50th among guards), and Compton was only
slightly higher at 60.2 (47th).

Now maybe pff does not know WTF they are talking about but they paid too much.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I just saw that, too.  Now someone is going to have to convince me that it matters (or helps).

EDIT: From what I can tell, he had a mediocre 2016... a great 2017... and a terrible 2018.  Hmmmmm....
Well, it is the odd year so maybe he will be good this season?  Trying to put a positive spin...

Think of it this way, he is better than what we had last season.  

One thing to keep in mind, because Kline was not a "free agent" but a cut casualty, he is not part of the calculation for draft compensation.  In other words, the Vikes signing Kline does not offset the Vikes losing Easton.  So, assuming Easton and Kline are equal, the Vikes will receive a low draft pick for signing Kline over Easton (unless there is another offset by the Vikes signing another player).  I know that probably doesn't make Cousins sleep better at night, but that is the type of calculation management makes.