Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Interested In Mannion As Siemian Meets With The Jets
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I don't see how the team isn't going to be another mediocre club this season. They were 8-7-1 last year and the O-line might be WORSE. Hate to be the negative Nancy but, jesus......
Well we seem to be in direct competition with the likes of the Jets for everything lately. That should say something.
I'm usually not so negative myself. This is just starting to get into ridiculous territory. Year after year we fail to adress this.
I don't know I want to because this guy usually just annoys me but he's right on here.
http://m.startribune.com/rick-spielman-v...507388612/

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I don't see how the team isn't going to be another mediocre club this season. They were 8-7-1 last year and the O-line might be WORSE. Hate to be the negative Nancy but, jesus......
It sucks, but that's the reality of it.  RS and other thought we were a great QB away from being a SB team.  Now we have a decent QB (not great), but the foundation of OL, DL, RB and other positions are crumbling.

Most of us thought they'd be a playoff team or better last season, and we were way off.  So, maybe those of us that think this team will barely make .500 will be wrong again, and they'll be really good.  It's just hard for me to see it.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
It sucks, but that's the reality of it.  RS and other thought we were a great QB away from being a SB team.  Now we have a decent QB (not great), but the foundation of OL, DL, RB and other positions are crumbling.

Most of us thought they'd be a playoff team or better last season, and we were way off.  So, maybe those of us that think this team will barely make .500 will be wrong again, and they'll be really good.  It's just hard for me to see it.

Well our whole season seems to be based off if's...
Last year we were worried about our schedule and not so much our talent. This year we have our eyes open maybe. We really need to come up big in the draft. That's the 1st if. We haven't changed for the better after the 1st week of FA. So on paper we are the same or slightly weaker. Can improved coaching make the difference? 2nd if...

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Well our whole season seems to be based off if's...
Last year we were worried about our schedule and not so much our talent. This year we have our eyes open maybe. We really need to come up big in the draft. That's the 1st if. We haven't changed for the better after the 1st week of FA. So on paper we are the same or slightly weaker. Can improved coaching make the difference? 2nd if...
Starting QB's salaries can just cripple teams.  Yeah, QB is a tough position, probably the toughest of all, but if teams become cash strapped because of your QB's big payday, that can just as easily make your team crappy as having a good team with a mediocre QB.

I guess Brady realizes he's never going to spend all of his money before he dies, so he's willing to take less to help him stay on a winning team.  Most every other QB doesn't think that way.  Sure Cousins could've make more with the Jets, but he's sitting among the highest played players in the entire league.  Yep, he's now an elite player.  Too bad the team won't notice because he's getting knocked on his arse, and fumbling every game.  Does anyone think Cousins is anywhere near the best QB in the league?  Not me, I sure don't see it.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I cannot imagine WHY the team would want Siemian back.  If they did bring him back, I would have to go back to the thread that wondered if the team was TOO loyal to some of their players... and respond with a "HECK YES!"  
We've got Sloter.  Either he's not as good as they thought he was... or the team just loves flushing money down the hole.  Or they could stop trying to get a 2nd stringer... and get Sloter ready to play (and draft a 3rd string / camp arm).
I don't think this is necessarily a situation that the team loves Siemian as their #2...  it seems more like an indictment on where Sloter left off this past season.  If the team doesn't feel like he's ready, that is probably why they are interested in a veteran backup.  Maybe things click for Sloter this offseason and it changes their view of him, but they won't know that until training camp.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"pumpf" said:
I cannot imagine WHY the team would want Siemian back.  If they did bring him back, I would have to go back to the thread that wondered if the team was TOO loyal to some of their players... and respond with a "HECK YES!"  
We've got Sloter.  Either he's not as good as they thought he was... or the team just loves flushing money down the hole.  Or they could stop trying to get a 2nd stringer... and get Sloter ready to play (and draft a 3rd string / camp arm).
I don't think this is necessarily a situation that the team loves Siemian as their #2...  it seems more like an indictment on where Sloter left off this past season.  If the team doesn't feel like he's ready, that is probably why they are interested in a veteran backup.  Maybe things click for Sloter this offseason and it changes their view of him, but they won't know that until training camp.

That's what I was thinking. Pretty silly to get angry at the Vikings for not being as smart as we are. I love what I've seen from Sloter, but I don't have access to practice film and I fully realize that nobody knows Siemian and Sloter more than Zimmer, Stefanski and especially Kubiak. 

The fact that they're trying to re-sign Siemian tells me only only thing: that they don't think Sloter is ready. And that's a shame. Because if he isn't ready for a #2 role yet, he may never be. 

The only thing I'm hoping for now is that whoever they sign as #2 has a contract the Vikings can easily get out of if Sloter's light comes on in training camp.

Sifting through the scraps from Longshanck's table is unbecoming!

Pre-season 2018 stats:

Mannion  52.2% completions, 168 yds. passing, 1 TD  2 Int.

Siemian    56.5% completions, 269 yds. passing, 2 TD 1Int.

Cousins    60% completions, 236 yds. passing, 1 TD 0 Int. , 85.0 QBR

Sloter        73.2% completions, 366 yds. passing, 4 TD 0 Int. 114.1 QBR

I guess pre-season is meaningless, but it is the only opportunity for some sort of comparison.
It's easy to see why some of us fans are scratching our heads over why Sloter isn't our number 2 QB.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"pumpf" said:

That's what I was thinking. Pretty silly to get angry at the Vikings for not being as smart as we are. I love what I've seen from Sloter, but I don't have access to practice film and I fully realize that nobody knows Siemian and Sloter more than Zimmer, Stefanski and especially Kubiak. 

The fact that they're trying to re-sign Siemian tells me only only thing: that they don't think Sloter is ready. And that's a shame. Because if he isn't ready for a #2 role yet, he may never be. 

The only thing I'm hoping for now is that whoever they sign as #2 has a contract the Vikings can easily get out of if Sloter's light comes on in training camp.
I don't know, NFL "professionals" (including our very own GM) drafted Ponder way too high and kept trotting him onto the field with no competition for 3 years, and also did the same with Treadwell, so in no way are they off-limits for me when it comes to criticism and questioning their decisions.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Sifting through the scraps from Longshanck's table is unbecoming!

Pre-season 2018 stats:

Mannion  52.2% completions, 168 yds. passing, 1 TD  2 Int.

Siemian    56.5% completions, 269 yds. passing, 2 TD 1Int.

Cousins    60% completions, 236 yds. passing, 1 TD 0 Int. , 85.0 QBR

Sloter        73.2% completions, 366 yds. passing, 4 TD 0 Int. 114.1 QBR

I guess pre-season is meaningless, but it is the only opportunity for some sort of comparison.
It's easy to see why some of us fans are scratching our heads over why Sloter isn't our number 2 QB.
Brett Hundley had 69.2% completion percentage, 630 pass yards, 7 TD 1 INT and a 129.6 QB rating one preseason early in his career...
Then we he finally got a shot to start his 3rd year in the league, he had a 60.8% completion percentage, averaged 184 passing YPG, and had 9 TD to 12 INT with a QB rating of 70.6.
It doesn't mean anything until you see these guys perform during the regular season.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"pumpf" said:

I don't know, NFL "professionals" (including our very own GM) drafted Ponder way too high and kept trotting him onto the field with no competition for 3 years, and also did the same with Treadwell, so in no way are they off-limits for me when it comes to criticism and questioning their decisions.
HaHa...
If not for criticism of management decisions sports boards wouldn't exist in the 1st place. I want my pound of internet flesh every now and then.
It just feels good to bitch. Not like I can do anything about it right.