Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does this stat make you feel? Anything?
Quote: @"comet52" said:
Fans keep telling me we have the greatest owners ever.  71-71-2 must be greatness, then.
Yep, and I keep hearing how the Vikings have the best roster in the NFL and a "great" front office. The actual RESULTS on the field (ESPECIALLY in the playoffs) do not support either of those claims.

A house-cleaning, although painful initially, is WAAAAAY ovedue.

Quote: @"njvike" said:
@"comet52" said:
Fans keep telling me we have the greatest owners ever.  71-71-2 must be greatness, then.
Yep, and I keep hearing how the Vikings have the best roster in the NFL and a "great" front office. The actual RESULTS on the field (ESPECIALLY in the playoffs) do not support either of those claims.

Sadly those owner's track recording hiring people tells me they might do much worse than what they've got now.   

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"njvike" said:
@"comet52" said:

Sadly those owner's track recording hiring people tells me they might do much worse than what they've got now.   
Fair enough, as Forrest Gump says, " You never know what you're gonna get", but you have to admit, L'il Ricky is the LONE common denominator during this extended period of payoff futility. His 2 playoff wins in 13 seasons is the WORST STRETCH OF PLAYOFF IMPOTENCE in Vikings HISTORY. Fact. 

The Wilf's certainly are not like the ownership of the Cowboys, Bengals, Browns, etc., that ALWAYS interfere with the actual FOOTBALL side of the organization. Hell, L'il Ricky has had MORE home stadiums than playoff wins in his tenure with the Vikings.  How fucking pathetic is THAT?!

No, ultimately it comes down to this :  Is THIRTEEN YEARS of running the personnel/scouting departments long enough to JUDGE a person's results? If it is NOT long enough, my question is :  How long IS enough? Is it 15 years? 17? 25? 

Newsflash : I could arm myself with a dozen draft publications every year and over 13 seasons I'm positive that the WORST I could do as GM is 1 less playoff win, and I'm confident that I could equal or surpass Schpielman's pathetic playoff results since 2006. And I'd do it for half of Saint Richards salary....40% if Zygi asked nicely.

My wife and I fly into Minneapolis every year for a Viking's game: downtown hotel, dining out for every meal, good ticket, drinking, local Uber, eating/drinking at the game, etc. Seriously considering not doing it for this upcoming season. I mean, same shit, different year can't have more meaning or impact on me as it did last year. I'm just an idiot now really if I spend anymore money on this team that will never win it all. I'm ready to retire from the Viking's Fan Annual Kick in the Nuts Club. Been a member way too long.

Y'know what that stat means to me?

That it represents the end of the Chilly era, the woebegone Frazier era (he's still watching the tape), and the Zimmer era.  Starting with the first season off of that loss, the following years were Les-Steckel-esque in coaching disasters until Zimmer came along.

Compared to how this decade started, I can clearly see the efforts toward team improvement.  The OL woes are what they are, and something Ricky needed to vastly improve upon...but no one can tell me that they saw some of the whacked situations coming down the pike during that time.

Kalil looked GREAT...until he absolutely didn't.

The Blair Walsh Project...same thing.

I will admit that I was one of those that had huge hopes for Teddy, but was concerned about both his durability and actual QB skills.  I had similar hopes for previous Vikings QBs, young and old...but I really wanted to see us able to "raise" a QB in our system, that long-term answer to our revolving door issue.

I think Kirk can be great for the team, but the team will need to be great, overall, to get anywhere with him...or anyone.  In the past decade, we started with weak D and questionable OL and now have a strong D and a junk OL (minus one kid, who hopefully does NOT prove to be Kalil II).  Brady is the face of the Pats, but their D and their trench play has been solid for most of his career.  Now that the Aints have a defense, Brees is deep into the playoffs regularly.  It's about the team.

So...looking at the stat and remembering the years it covers, there's no real surprise.  I don't see it as cheering for an "average" team, I see it as a big picture look at many trials and tribulations, with the peaks and valleys fairly even.

All of which means nothing as of the first snap in 2019.