Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings may draft DL in the 1st
Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
with the lack of OL talent in the draft this will further push up the price of the limited OL available in FA,  I would like to see us grab Easton and one other interior OL in FA to take the pressure off of draft day,  but if the market is nuts we will be lucky to come out of FA with one starter let alone 2.   Ideally it would be great to go into the draft with all the starting positions penciled in and then just strictly be able to let the board work for us instead of Rick having to work the board and himself getting worked in the process.
Jonah Williams will go in or near the Top 10. Greg Little will be gone by #18. Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner & Yondy Cajuste could all easily go in the first. Cody Ford is becoming the default pick for Minnesota in the First in a lot of mocks lately. His running mate Powers will go in the 2nd and start from day 1. Bama's Piersbacher (or something like that) will also be a stater. Wisconsin has 3 guys who will likely all be gone by the 3rd Round.

So far it's a bunch of Tackles, many of whom project better as Guards. Once the process cranks up some of the pure guard prospects will start to move up like Ragnow & Price did last year.

Does this Draft have a Future HOF LT? Nope. Can't miss Guard like Quenton Nelson? Nope. But those type of players aren't ever available where the Vikings are picking anyway.

What it does have is quality depth. Unless you're TBro or Jimmy, who somehow watched even more College Football than me and formed the complete opposite opinion on most of these guys. Which is also a contradictory opinion to that of most Mocks that have anywhere from 4  to 7 O-Linemen going in the 1st Round of an allegedly weak Draft.

As for the original topic, I'd take Dexter Lawrence at #18. It's simple. Good starting talent available for the O-Line will still be there in the 2nd. Dexter is a monster. A legit Blue Chip prospect who might slide because teams reach for QBs and because of just how many really good DTs are in this Draft.

My personal blueprint is sign Mark Glowinski from the Colts for RG. Snag Lawrence in the 1st and Ross Pierschbacher in the 2nd. I'd also bring back Easton.

Now you've got 3 guys who can play Center (Elf, Easton, Pierschbacher) and a Guard who's played on both sides (Glowinski). Spend a 5th on a kid to push Isadora off the Roster and now you've got interior depth and insurance in case Elf doesn't rebound or if Easton isn't fully recovered.

Of course, that means the team is still All In on Reiff at LT. I'm not. So alternatively, if Lawrence is off the Board (likely) and Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor are available (likely at least one will be) and the FO doesn't have a similarly high grade on another DT like say Simmons from MSU, whom I love but not as much as Lawrence, then I take the OT.

Unlike Remmers, Reiff doesn't struggle with power. Speed is his weakness. He stands a much better chance of sliding inside than Mike did. If the draftee isn't ready for Tackle kick him inside instead for some seasoning or to eventually  take over at RT if O'Neil moves to LT after next year.

Either direction involves bringing back Easton and grabbing a Starter like Glowinski and using either a 1st or 2nd plus a later round depth pick.

It's actually FA that's thin, not the Draft. Saffold and Foster will be hot commodities that I don't see the FO overpaying for since they're both older players. Need to find the smart signing and work the Draft. Very doable.
how do I get lumped in here?  I admit that I dont watch as much CFB as most.   you have taken what I have said about wanting to sign 2 FA OL and draft 2 as me saying that rookies cant start on the OL and that is plain bull shit.. .what I have said is that I dont want to have to depend on rookies to start or even be available in the draft.   I think last year showed us that the league is waking up to the new rules and importance of quality OL play in determining the teams overall success and the run on 2nd round graded players in the first round was evidence of that.   Your proposal of glowinski ( 1FA) and easton plus 2 more in the draft is what I have been saying since mid season to fix this OL.

I've already seen some mock drafts with the Vikings taking a DT in the first. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
with the lack of OL talent in the draft this will further push up the price of the limited OL available in FA,  I would like to see us grab Easton and one other interior OL in FA to take the pressure off of draft day,  but if the market is nuts we will be lucky to come out of FA with one starter let alone 2.   Ideally it would be great to go into the draft with all the starting positions penciled in and then just strictly be able to let the board work for us instead of Rick having to work the board and himself getting worked in the process.
This class is actually fairly deep along the O-line. There are a good number of day 1 starters at both OT and OG in the first two rounds. After that there are a number of high upside interior lineman who will go between the 3rd and 5th.

If they are going to take an OT to eventually replace Reiff it makes sense to do that at #18, especially if they can slide in at guard in 2019. But if they want to draft a pure interior lineman they may get better value doing it in the 2nd or moving up into the early 3rd. LB/DT/DE is going to be your best value in the middle of the 1st. I'm still not a believer in reaching for a need in rounds 1-3 since you should be drafting a starting caliber player. 

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
I've already seen some mock drafts with the Vikings taking a DT in the first. 
wouldnt surprise me at all,  especially if they get 2 OL penciled into their starting spots via FA.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
Jonah Williams will go in or near the Top 10. Greg Little will be gone by #18. Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner & Yondy Cajuste could all easily go in the first. Cody Ford is becoming the default pick for Minnesota in the First in a lot of mocks lately. His running mate Powers will go in the 2nd and start from day 1. Bama's Piersbacher (or something like that) will also be a stater. Wisconsin has 3 guys who will likely all be gone by the 3rd Round.

So far it's a bunch of Tackles, many of whom project better as Guards. Once the process cranks up some of the pure guard prospects will start to move up like Ragnow & Price did last year.

Does this Draft have a Future HOF LT? Nope. Can't miss Guard like Quenton Nelson? Nope. But those type of players aren't ever available where the Vikings are picking anyway.

What it does have is quality depth. Unless you're TBro or Jimmy, who somehow watched even more College Football than me and formed the complete opposite opinion on most of these guys. Which is also a contradictory opinion to that of most Mocks that have anywhere from 4  to 7 O-Linemen going in the 1st Round of an allegedly weak Draft.

As for the original topic, I'd take Dexter Lawrence at #18. It's simple. Good starting talent available for the O-Line will still be there in the 2nd. Dexter is a monster. A legit Blue Chip prospect who might slide because teams reach for QBs and because of just how many really good DTs are in this Draft.

My personal blueprint is sign Mark Glowinski from the Colts for RG. Snag Lawrence in the 1st and Ross Pierschbacher in the 2nd. I'd also bring back Easton.

Now you've got 3 guys who can play Center (Elf, Easton, Pierschbacher) and a Guard who's played on both sides (Glowinski). Spend a 5th on a kid to push Isadora off the Roster and now you've got interior depth and insurance in case Elf doesn't rebound or if Easton isn't fully recovered.

Of course, that means the team is still All In on Reiff at LT. I'm not. So alternatively, if Lawrence is off the Board (likely) and Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor are available (likely at least one will be) and the FO doesn't have a similarly high grade on another DT like say Simmons from MSU, whom I love but not as much as Lawrence, then I take the OT.

Unlike Remmers, Reiff doesn't struggle with power. Speed is his weakness. He stands a much better chance of sliding inside than Mike did. If the draftee isn't ready for Tackle kick him inside instead for some seasoning or to eventually  take over at RT if O'Neil moves to LT after next year.

Either direction involves bringing back Easton and grabbing a Starter like Glowinski and using either a 1st or 2nd plus a later round depth pick.

It's actually FA that's thin, not the Draft. Saffold and Foster will be hot commodities that I don't see the FO overpaying for since they're both older players. Need to find the smart signing and work the Draft. Very doable.
Excellent ideas.  I would say that Glowinski did not look very good at all in the playoff game this past weekend.  Was exposed pretty badly.  It was one game so maybe it is OK but it was the most important game.  I think Indy will keep him with no problem.  They have 123 mil in cap space and can easily give him 2.5 to 3 mil on a 2 to 3 year deal.  He only made 1.219 mil this year.  They probably will value chemistry and consistency.  At the very least they would have a valuable backup.
I think the Vikings should bring back both Compton and Easton.  Compton did OK this season.  Not great by any stretch but he did OK.  IMHO.  Giving him another one year deal for 1.5 mil or so with only a few hundred K guaranteed is a good investment.
I agree about Lawrence but would go with Wilkins or Simmons just as easily. But those two probably will be gone.  If Lawrence is gone too then I would be in favor of a trade down.  Let's say they trade down with Houston to #23 picking up #86 from them and sending them back a 6th rounder.  Houston has two second round picks and may be interested.
They still might get Lawrence and then could select a couple of guards early.
I do think the draft is deeper this year for guards and centers.
I like Hjalte Froholdt, Dru Samia, and Alex Bars who was injured most of the year.

@"JimmyinSD" said:

I love your draft takes as always FSU, but I think it's WAY too early to be saying with that kind of certainty who will or won't be available at 18, especially since we have no idea what their measurables are at this point. And by that I don't mean 40 time and bench press which are mostly meaningless for OLs; I mean height, weight and arm length, which always has a big say in where these guys will ultimately go off the board. 

One thing to keep in mind is that for the very same reason there could be very good value at DL at 18, there could also be very good value at DL at 62. I was reading a scout this morning who said that 13 of his top 15 players in this draft were DLs. That's just insane. As you know, I'm a value over need guy, so I will always advocate for that. But you have to be careful. Say a top DL falls and you take him. Then in the 2nd a WR you had rated as a 1st rounder falls and you take him. So you got some great value, but you screwed yourself on the OL. 

That's why I think you have to overpay to fill the OL needs in free agency. I keep saying it: don't just fix it, over-fix it. For the very reason you state we may not want to pay a guy like Saffold is the reason others (including the Rams) may not as well. For that, we can only hope....I know the pickens are slim. Trade should also be on the table here. 

Watched quite a few players this weekend and the two I was most impressed with were Yodny Cajuste and the TE TJ Hockensen. Also, I don't know yet how good he'll be in the NFL but Dru Samia is one mean son of a bitch. He plays angry. Also, call me crazy but I think I'd take Hockenson and Kaden Smith from Stanford over Fant. Isn't today the deadline to declare? Haven't heard anything about Hockenson yet. He might be staying at Iowa. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
This class is actually fairly deep along the O-line. There are a good number of day 1 starters at both OT and OG in the first two rounds. After that there are a number of high upside interior lineman who will go between the 3rd and 5th.

If they are going to take an OT to eventually replace Reiff it makes sense to do that at #18, especially if they can slide in at guard in 2019. But if they want to draft a pure interior lineman they may get better value doing it in the 2nd or moving up into the early 3rd. LB/DT/DE is going to be your best value in the middle of the 1st. I'm still not a believer in reaching for a need in rounds 1-3 since you should be drafting a starting caliber player. 
I am saying lack of talent in that what the draft wonks have been saying is that there isnt much that is rated as high as we will be picking.  basically 3 maybe 4 names projected.  so we either move to where they are slotted or we will be reaching again if somebody else moves up and takes OL ahead of us or some others grab OL higher than projected.

I really dont care who they take where,  as long as they get legit players when they do take them.  I dont want to see OL ignored until day 3 when it is beyond question our biggest need.  I am not saying what round,  but honestly we need to take 2 OL prospects in the first 4 rounds IMO.  

I would not be surprised at all to see DT or LB in the first,  with OL then becoming more of a have to pick in round 2.   

I dont look at college players until the draft talk begins, but i saw Christian Wilkins in the champ game and he is my pick unless there is better value at OL.  He dominated that game

@"JimmyinSD" said:

You have some good points in here. At OT they're going to really like Cajuste and scouted West Virginia 3-4 times this past season. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
We do need major help at DT.  Richardson is not the next Kevin Williams like we hoped.  He's ok, but obviously he's not the playmaker we had hoped for.  The Vikes might not even offer him a new deal, so the cupboard is pretty bare, don't you think?

If the BPA is a stud DT, I hope they get their guy. 

How is the cupboard bare? The last two drafts, we used our 3rd-round picks on DTs. In each case we traded out of that round to pick up some late picks, but were assured that in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes we were getting steals, "Day 2 talent". People were even comparing Holmes to Danielle Hunter, and we have a highly-lauded defensive coaching staff that can no doubt turn both of these into star linemen, right??
To pick those DTs, we also passed up offensive linemen that are starting for other teams (Julien Davenport in 2017, Mason Cole in 2018).
BPA is a nice draft philosophy. But when you starve a unit for a decade, and that unit is critical to the health and success of the most expensive player your ownership has ever invested in, BPA is a luxury a team can't afford.