Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Working out at the gym
I'm 52, weigh around 186 lbs at 6' 1". Waist is 32". I'm not bad strength-wise for my age. Chest is 45". I do a lot of pull-ups and pushups. 

I just turned 56. Haven't worked out since 1977ish. 6' 1, used to be 6' 2, 210 pounds. I eat enough for 2 people and mostly the food we're told to not eat. I have a really high metabolism which is probably all that keeps me from being obese.
I have lots of aches and pains that I think would be eased if I had more muscle tone, especially back pain. I also think working out would give me extra pain in my joints.
I am going to bite the bullet in a couple of weeks and start to work out. I have no plan yet except to start.
I really didn't plan on living this long or I might have started taking care of the body sooner

58  5'10" 192 going to the gym 4 days a week.   Both rotator cuffs ave been torn repaired and retorn.  Lifting and stretching hoping to put off more surgeries  Knees hurt like hell and right one feels unstable on stairs some days

The old folks "new aches daily" thread.

54 here. 5'9" 185 lbs. My ideal weight is around 170 to 175. I've been there for years, but I quit smoking cigs back in Feb. Gained about 15 or so pounds that I am having a hell of a time shedding.

At first, I was eating a lot (especially snacks) to keep me from wanting to smoke. Now, I've cut back on eating but still finding it hard to trim back down completely. I've read that your metabolism slows down after quitting smoking. I'll have to keep trying. I can still fit in my same jeans but they are tighter.

BTW, I haven't worked out since the 80's while in the army. I have access to a nice gym but I think I'm allergic to it. Seems like if I skip one workout, 15 years fly by before I know it.

I'm 58 and 5'11, about 180 lbs.  I got to fight to keep at this weight or I'll drop 5 to 10 lbs. if I stop moving.  Luckily I can eat about anything I want.

Quote: @"SouthCarolinaViking" said:
The old folks "new aches daily" thread.

54 here. 5'9" 185 lbs. My ideal weight is around 170 to 175. I've been there for years, but I quit smoking cigs back in Feb. Gained about 15 or so pounds that I am having a hell of a time shedding.

At first, I was eating a lot (especially snacks) to keep me from wanting to smoke. Now, I've cut back on eating but still finding it hard to trim back down completely. I've read that your metabolism slows down after quitting smoking. I'll have to keep trying. I can still fit in my same jeans but they are tighter.

BTW, I haven't worked out since the 80's while in the army. I have access to a nice gym but I think I'm allergic to it. Seems like if I skip one workout, 15 years fly by before I know it.
Quitting smoking cigarettes was the devil for me when it came to weight gain...But you did what had to be done. 

I'm 6'1, 58 and 183 now. I have to watch what I eat and try to keep the activity up. That gets harder in a cold weather climate like MN, when you're couped-up inside 8 mos a year lol! 

https://ix.cnn.io/dailygraphics/graphics...lWidth=780&childId=responsive-embed-20180903-exercise-tailgate-table&parentTitle=A%20healthier%20tailgate%2C%20for%20the%20win%20-%20CNN&parentUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2018%2F09%2F04%2Fhealth%2Ftailgate-healthy-food-drayer%2Findex.html