Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Damn, who is this guy?' How the Vikings discovered Adam Thielen
Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I read this yesterday and what I found very interesting was IMO the Viking's scouts dropped the ball on him. They didn't time him at his school?? And then the follow up was 'he plays faster on the field'? I think somebody was asleep at the wheel on the grassroots scouting level. 
Sounds like his coaches dropped it. 
Quote:Obviously I wasn’t on their radar at all when the
scouts came down to Mankato the year before and asked our coaches if
there's any NFL guys. They said no and they didn’t scout me.
Lots of low level college guy and the scouts aren't going to waste their time on every player of every team.  And not sure, but it seems like Adam didn't exactly light the world on fire in college.  He wasn't a Randy Moss at Marshall or Iupati at U of Idaho where he elevated the entire team.

Just curious....does the team or its players on the Vikings EVER do something wrong in your opinion? You seem to be a well reasoned person and knowledgeable fan but you are way up on the homer scale when it comes to the organization and its players. This probably sounds harsh, but its not my intent. Just a question. I understand the guy below isn't on the Viking's staff.

[Image: Cunningham_Mike.jpg]Mike Cunningham, Minnesota State-Mankato offensive line coach: "I'm a horrible evaluator of talent. We never would test 40s at Mankato and I was the pro liaison there. When all the NFL teams would come through, we weren't actively giving the NFL scouts his name, per se. We just thought he was a good Division II football player as a coaching staff and, obviously, he made us all look wrong."
Legit question.  Funny I was thinking along the same lines when I typed that.  I am a fan of the team I guess.

But honestly my take seems reasonable.  Adam said it, the coaches said it, they told the team there weren't any NFL guys there.  So why would the team scout if his own coaches weren't that impressed.  I guess it is a process were teams rely on scouts and scouts rely on college coaches.  If I am scouring for NFL talent amongst the DII kids, I would expect NFL talent to stand out at that level.  So I wouldn't waste my time watching guys that are just guys.
You're shopping for a car. Car's seller keeps telling you it's a gem, but when you contact the previous owner he says it's not worth your time, so you pass. But one of your employees ends up with the car anyway and turns it into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Your boss Sticky calls you an idiot and fires you. 

Quote: @"CLOBIMON" said:
When I'd read this I couldn't help but remember that during '15 and I think as late as preseason of '16 I was thinking they didn't need or needed better than Thielen and he'd be cut.  I know I wasn't alone on that.  Of course he proved his worth in '16 and really busted out last year.  Nothing prepared me for what he's done this season so far... 
Good memory...That describes me to a "T"

What the hell do I know? I wanted Cordarrelle and then DGB...

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
It's such a great story. Another bonus is that the Packers asked for film and didn't do squat. 
F ck I would have been po'ed if he ended-up a Packer for life, out of MN and playing with Rogers. 

UGH...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I read this yesterday and what I found very interesting was IMO the Viking's scouts dropped the ball on him. They didn't time him at his school?? And then the follow up was 'he plays faster on the field'? I think somebody was asleep at the wheel on the grassroots scouting level. 
Lots of low level college guy and the scouts aren't going to waste their time on every player of every team.  And not sure, but it seems like Adam didn't exactly light the world on fire in college.  He wasn't a Randy Moss at Marshall or Iupati at U of Idaho where he elevated the entire team.

Just curious....does the team or its players on the Vikings EVER do something wrong in your opinion? You seem to be a well reasoned person and knowledgeable fan but you are way up on the homer scale when it comes to the organization and its players. This probably sounds harsh, but its not my intent. Just a question. I understand the guy below isn't on the Viking's staff.

[Image: Cunningham_Mike.jpg]Mike Cunningham, Minnesota State-Mankato offensive line coach: "I'm a horrible evaluator of talent. We never would test 40s at Mankato and I was the pro liaison there. When all the NFL teams would come through, we weren't actively giving the NFL scouts his name, per se. We just thought he was a good Division II football player as a coaching staff and, obviously, he made us all look wrong."
Legit question.  Funny I was thinking along the same lines when I typed that.  I am a fan of the team I guess.

But honestly my take seems reasonable.  Adam said it, the coaches said it, they told the team there weren't any NFL guys there.  So why would the team scout if his own coaches weren't that impressed.  I guess it is a process were teams rely on scouts and scouts rely on college coaches.  If I am scouring for NFL talent amongst the DII kids, I would expect NFL talent to stand out at that level.  So I wouldn't waste my time watching guys that are just guys.
You're shopping for a car. Car's seller keeps telling you it's a gem, but when you contact the previous owner he says it's not worth your time, so you pass. But one of your employees ends up with the car anyway and turns it into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Your boss Sticky calls you an idiot and fires you. 
Oh boy, relax.

[Image: lighten-up-francis-22862786.png]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh boy, relax.

Take some of your own medicine Sticky.  It was funny.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"CLOBIMON" said:
When I'd read this I couldn't help but remember that during '15 and I think as late as preseason of '16 I was thinking they didn't need or needed better than Thielen and he'd be cut.  I know I wasn't alone on that.  Of course he proved his worth in '16 and really busted out last year.  Nothing prepared me for what he's done this season so far... 
Good memory...That describes me to a "T"

What the hell do I know? I wanted Cordarrelle and then DGB...

Yeah, I was thinking he was a Mr. Mankato of epic proportions.  Local boy, slight build.  Feel good story at best was my thoughts.  But the tidbits about him getting open against Rhodes certainly shows why the Vikings believed in him.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh boy, relax.

It was??

sidenote: There is something called Chitty Chitty Gang Bang....I watched it. Wouldn't recommend it. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh boy, relax.

Your boss is offended. Has no sense of humor. Doesn't get joke. Bizarrely, tells YOU to lighten up. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh boy, relax.

It was??

sidenote: There is something called Chitty Chitty Gang Bang....I watched it. Wouldn't recommend it. 
I would. One of Ian Fleming's best. 

You're sleek as a thoroughbred.You're seats are a feather bed.You'll turn everybody's head today.We'll glide on our motor tripWith pride in our ownershipThe envy of all we survey.

C'mon, admit it, you're singing. You are.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Oh boy, relax.

It was??

I would. One of Ian Fleming's best. 

You're sleek as a thoroughbred.You're seats are a feather bed.You'll turn everybody's head today.We'll glide on our motor tripWith pride in our ownershipThe envy of all we survey.

C'mon, admit it, you're singing. You are.
lol, I don't think you read what I wrote. I loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I really did when I was a kid. There was a *cough* parody of that movie. Slightly different title.