Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone (everyone) remember Rae Carruth?
Should have got a death sentence or life if Carolina doesn't have the death sentence.  Sorry what did was unforgivable imo and no way should he be free.

At what point is a "debt" paid back in sentence involving murder?  He didn't bilk hundreds of people out of their life savings.  He didn't rob millions of dollars from a bank.  He didn't manufacture and distribute crystal meth. 
He arranged the murder of a woman.  Remember?
From Wiki...
On November 16, 1999, near Carruth's home in Charlotte, North Carolina, Cherica Adams, a real estate agent he had been casually dating, was shot four times by Van Brett Watkins Sr., a night club manager and an associate of Carruth. Adams managed to call 911, and said that Carruth had stopped his vehicle in front of hers, and that another vehicle drove alongside and its passenger had shot her. Carruth then drove away from the scene.
Adams was eight months pregnant with Carruth's child at the time. Soon after her admission to the hospital, she fell into a coma. Doctors delivered the baby via emergency caesarean section.  Carruth went to the police and posted $3 million bail, on condition that if either Adams or the infant died, he would turn himself in.   Adams died on December 14, 1999. The baby, named Chancellor Lee Adams, survived, but suffered permanent brain damage and cerebral palsy as a result of being without oxygen for 70 minutes before he was born.
Carruth quickly fled after Adams' death, but was captured on December 15 in West Tennessee, found hiding in the trunk of a car outside a motel in Parkers Crossroads.  The trunk also contained $3,900 cash, bottles of his urine, extra clothes, candy bars, and a cell phone.  The Panthers waived him on December 16, citing a morals clause in his contract, and the NFL suspended him indefinitely on December 17.
At trial, prosecutors contended that Carruth hired Watkins and others to murder Adams because of her refusal to abort their unborn child.  Carruth's lawyer Adam Toraya claimed that Carruth had been caught up in a drug deal gone bad.  They claimed that on the night of the shooting, after Carruth had refused to fund the drug deal, Watkins shot Adams in a sudden rage when she "flipped him off" after he had attempted to ask her about Carruth's whereabouts.
Carruth was found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, shooting into an occupied vehicle, and using an instrument to destroy an unborn child.  He was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in prison. He was found not guilty of first-degree murder, and so was spared the death penalty.

It been almost 20 years since I had to think about this senseless act of cowardice. Here I am thinking about it again. Nope still think he's a useless coward. Now he's a free one. So nope I still don't forgive or obviously forget.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
wow, 20 years ago.  Wish him well, honestly.  While it will never change what he did or bring her back, he paid his debt according to the justice system.  20 years in your prime is a long time.  Hopefully he has rehabbed and will try to make something of his life. 
I’m with you Greediron. I don’t want to be friends with him or even meet him. But, if he finds work, takes care of himself, and doesn’t do anything stupid the rest if his life, then who am I to hope he does anything but well enough?

I think the sentence should have been life, but it wasn’t, so he did what was required. Starting over at 44 won’t be an easy task, specially since people will know who he is and what he did. He wasn’t the guy next door who nobody knew, he was a pro athlete and everyone heard about what he did.

By his own selfish act, he destroyed two lives and without any remorse.  He maliciously set up and had his pregnant girlfriend killed.  He should have gotten life in prison.   

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
By his own selfish act, he destroyed two lives and without any remorse.  He maliciously set up and had his pregnant girlfriend killed.  He should have gotten life in prison.   
This is where I stand on this. The system failed the family by not finding him guilty 1st degree and life without. He actively participate in the murder after setting it up. He should never be free.