Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batted Passes and Fumbles
Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
The Jets are scoring big or losing when they can't.

@ Lions     W 48-17
Dolphins    L 12-20
@ Browns  L 17-21
@ Jaguars L 12-31
Broncos     W 34 - 16
Colts           W 42 - 34

That might mean they live and die by the big turnover. When they don't get them they can't score.  Didn't look into to their scoring break down. Just found it curious how little they scored in loses as compared to wins.
I do remember in the Lion's game they had a defensive and special teams TD.
Play them ball control with no turnovers and make them go the whole field. They might not be able to enough to win.
...and look at that schedule. Lions, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos and Colts? The only "good" team they played was the Jags and they were blown out...mostly by Blake Bortles passing. Even though the Jags were up 25 to 3 going into the 4th quarter, they still avoided running the ball.  

The Jets are a rich man's Bills.
Better rookie QB. Better run game. Better defense. And we lost to the Bills. And now we're on the road.
So let's hope the team has grown and improved since then. I do think we have.
I see this as being a classic Vikings game where we make some costly mistakes in the first half against a lesser team, and then have to try and grind it out in the second half to win. But I hope I'm wrong and we roll. Skol!

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
I'd bet Kirk and the OL are all working hard to avoid all the batted passes after the six he had on Sunday.  The Jets already have 10 picks and 9 forced fumbles this season, and I'm sure they're very aware that Kirk is vulnerable to strip sacks and fumbles when pressured.  Apparently this is how the Jets have thrived this season.  Their D gives Darold a short field, and they take advantage.

Kirk needs to take care of the ball, and having a running game should help that.  Hopefully Murray, Boone, and Thomas (Cook too?) all do well, and don't cough up the ball.  I think mistake free football is the key to winning.  The running game should open up the passing attack for AT, Diggs, Rudy and others as well.

The D needs to stop the run, and make the rookie QB beat them with his arm.

This should be a good game, but it should also be winnable.

Go Vikes - SKOL!
This game should be a blowout. I know that's not cool to say and, yes, I saw the Buffalo game, but this team does not even belong on the same field as the Vikings. If they were healthy, that would be another story, but they could seriously be without two of their three best corners, their starting deep safety, and both of their starting wides.

Prediction: 

The Jets play the run fairly well and we don't block it very well. That combined with the fact that their secondary is in tatters means the Vikings are likely going to attack through the air. It also means that Dalvin Cook, likely to return this week, may struggle and there will be folks on Monday wondering if Latavius Murray should be our starter. Watch, it will happen. 

With their best receivers in the tub, the Jets will likely try to run the ball with Bilal Powell and Isaiah Crowell (who also may not play due to a foot injury). Either way, the Vikings give up 3.9 yards per carry so I don't see either one being particularly effective. 3rd WR Jermaine Kearse will have to have a big game in order for this to be close. 

So that leaves one glaring imbalance. Vikings passing game vs. the Jets depleted secondary. And that's a HUGE mismatch. If Buster Skrine doesn't play, Adam Thielen draws Parry Nickerson, who just might be the worst slot corner in the NFL. If Trumaine Johnson doesn't play, then Diggs probably draws Morris Claiborne in shadow coverage. According to PFF, the cornerbacks who shadowed receivers most last season were Patrick Peterson (11 games), followed by Morris Claiborne (10--tied with Rhodes, btw). But the difference between the two is pretty remarkable. "Out of 91 qualifying cornerbacks last season, Peterson ranked fourth-best in yards allowed per route in coverage, while Claiborne ranked 44th." So Diggs, while he will once again draw the top corner, he should see a little more space in this game (assuming we can protect Cousins beyond a 3-step drop), especially considering the Jets' starting deep safety is also out. This could also be a nice game for Treadwell considering the other starting boundary (Johnson) corner may not play. 

Vikings 38, Jets 13

A bit homeristic here as I can't see Minnesota blowing a team out this badly on the road how they've been playing defense thus far. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
A bit homeristic here as I can't see Minnesota blowing a team out this badly on the road how they've been playing defense thus far. 
Honestly, I think mine is the more realistic take and yours is the homeristic one. Homeristic in typical Viking-fan fashion: irrationally negative, defeatist. 

Is there a chance the Jets steal this? Of course. Anything can happen. But they'd have a much better chance if half their team weren't in street clothes...if the NFL's #1 receiver weren't matched up against the NFL's worst slot corner. If Rhodes and Waynes didn't have to Google the name of the receiver they'll be facing. 

I'm just calling matchups and the matchups say laugher. No, Vikings win big. Final answer. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Honestly, I think mine is the more realistic take and yours is the homeristic one. Homeristic in typical Viking-fan fashion: irrationally negative, defeatist. 

Is there a chance the Jets steal this? Of course. Anything can happen. But they'd have a much better chance if half their team weren't in street clothes...if the NFL's #1 receiver weren't matched up against the NFL's worst slot corner. If Rhodes and Waynes didn't have to Google the name of the receiver they'll be facing. 

I'm just calling matchups and the matchups say laugher. No, Vikings win big. Final answer. 
Vegas has this as a 3.5 point favorite for Minnesota. They don't see a laugher and neither do I. Nothing I'd love more than for you to be right. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Vegas has this as a 3.5 point favorite for Minnesota. They don't see a laugher and neither do I. Nothing I'd love more than for you to be right. 
Trust me. B)

I will say this. I think Darnold is a very good, smart QB who won't be fooled much by our disguises. I think Jermaine Kearse could have a big game for them in what should be a favorable matchup between him and Alexander. But it won't be enough to keep up with the big games likely to come from Thielen and Diggs. More so Thielen if we have protection issues. 

The Jets don't seem to be running a ton of misdirection from I've seen on RedZone. But if they do I expect trouble.

The communication between the LBs and DBs has been brutal at times even at home. Whatever new wrinkles Mike added has appeared to confuse the hell out of his players. And guys like Darnold, who reminds me of Stafford, only need to hit one or two wide spanking open guys to suddenly catch fire.