Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Sad end appears imminent

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
It was inevitable. Retail is dying. I feel for the employees. 
why?  its not like the bulk of them were skilled labor. with the unemployment rate theyll have a job by tommorrow.
I think the biggest thing about finding a new job is the unknown. A lot of people like the comfort of where they are when it comes to a job.
Friendships develope along the way. I have been through a place shutting down. I came out with a better paying job, but I miss the people I had worked with for 31 years.

I don't really get the point of Sears.  I'm just going to go buy some clothes, a fridge, a TV, and some garden hose all in one place?

thought this was an Eli Manning thread...  Wink B)  

Quote: @Riphawkins said:

@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
why?  its not like the bulk of them were skilled labor. with the unemployment rate theyll have a job by tommorrow.
I think the biggest thing about finding a new job is the unknown. A lot of people like the comfort of where they are when it comes to a job.
Friendships develope along the way. I have been through a place shutting down. I came out with a better paying job, but I miss the people I had worked with for 31 years.
Comfort can keep you in some bad situations, but at the same time when a business as large as Sears closes, not everyone will be able to find a better paying or new job. I would expect that anyone with options has already left, so what employees they have left are likely older (working towards retirement), lower skilled, or had some other situation that kept them at Sears. Not sure how it works, but I wonder what happens to retired Sears employees? We also live in a society that overvalues youth/cheap labor, so older/more experienced employees may have a harder time replacing their income or retraining.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
@AGRforever said:
@Vikergirl said:
Uh because of the loss of employment. And not everyone is going to get a new job right away. 
our town could take a couple thousand workers. jobs are a dime a dozen here. and were not some metro area. cookeville tn. 
My sister and her family live in Cookeville. Have for 15+ years. Moved from Nashville.

Quote: @medaille said:
I don't really get the point of Sears.  I'm just going to go buy some clothes, a fridge, a TV, and some garden hose all in one place?
Me either,  i wish amazon did that. 

I looked at the 30 companies that comprised the Dow Jones Industrial Average in mid-1956 and mid-2018.  There are arguably 2 companies in both.  E.I. DuPont is now DowDuPont.  They are in both. So is Proctor & Gamble. That's it.  And yes, Sears was in the Dow 30 in 1956.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I looked at the 30 companies that comprised the Dow Jones Industrial Average in mid-1956 and mid-2018.  There are arguably 2 companies in both.  E.I. DuPont is now DowDuPont.  They are in both. So is Proctor & Gamble. That's it.  And yes, Sears was in the Dow 30 in 1956.
In 1950, Detroit was the 5th largest city in the country....almost bigger than 4th place Los Angeles.

68 years is a long time ago and things change big time. Sears didn't change and they had a slow, protracted death spiral. Eddie Lampert made it much worse. Interesting article below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenshoul...e2562acef4

Quote: @Vikergirl said:

In 2017 Sears employed 140,000 people. From CNN Money- "Amazon has added nearly a quarter million employees to its headcount in a single year.Oct 26, 2017" A total of 541,900.

The jobs aren't dying, just changing.

Quote: @muydnbejydk said:
@Vikergirl said:

In 2017 Sears employed 140,000 people. From CNN Money- "Amazon has added nearly a quarter million employees to its headcount in a single year.Oct 26, 2017" A total of 541,900.

The jobs aren't dying, just changing.
does writing fake reviews for amazon count as a job?   :p