Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barr needs to be removed from nickle packages ASAP
Occasionally an offense will successfully scheme a bad match up, it's on the player to execute/adjust when that happens.  When Barr end up on Kupp he need to do something in the first 5 yards to knock the timing/rythm of the route, if that fails you need to take the 5 yard penalty instead of the TD.

Maybe there are adjustments Zimm can make in calls but the whole design of an offense is to create mismatches so it will happen.

You know what I don't understand, this offseason Zim had Barr lining up at DE in nickle packages.  So we lose Everson Griffen, we sign George Iloka.  Just doing the math, why the hell are we not putting Barr at LDE/RDE with Hunter, and sliding Iloka down to LB?  If our Front 4 is down a guy and they're not getting pressure, we have a LB who is a complete liability in pass coverage but he has size and speed to rush the passer, and we have a huge SS that's 6'4 220 and good in coverage .... why are we not moving the pieces around?

Barr and Kendricks were both good to great in coverage last year. But ever since Kamara somehow caught that perfect pass against Kendricks it's like they've both fallen off a cliff coverage-wise.

No pass rush. LBs getting killed in coverage. Sounds like a Frazier Defense.

And for the record Mac flat out blew his assignment with Cupp. Lost him in the scrum at the Line and by the time Barr realized he was going to have to pick up Mac's guy it was already too late. That's on Mac, not Mike or Anthony.

But yeah, his overall play has dipped considerably. Almost like he's thinking he did all the yeoman plays that don't get much pub, including from many if you that don't get how crucial having TWO LBs that can cover is to a Zimmer Defense, and didn't get a new deal so screw it.

But Kendricks hasn't looked much better. He's a liability against the run and his coverage skills seem to have eroded this season for some reason.

Kendricks may be slipping in coverage, but he's still miles ahead of Barr.  He knocks away a sure TD vs the pack that would have made that game a loss too.  And on Thursday during the lambs first drive he covered a play that made Goff throw it away.  Later in that drive a very similar play (Goff slightly roll out throw short right to someone in the flat) gained 10 yards because Barr was late detecting the play and covering the guy in the flat.  Kendricks was there, Barr was not.  I cannot remember Barr being in position and making a play while defending a pass this year... I would like to think that he has been but I cannot remember it, while I can recall two plays where Kendricks was there and made the play. 

But yeah, nobody getting to the QB on a regular basis is killing our secondary and LBs.