Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To make room for Tom Johnson ...
Quote: @greediron said:
@Kentis said:
So we replaced Tom Johnson w/ Sheldon Richardson & Tom Johnson...  B) 
And the Hawks replaced Sheldon Richardson with Tom John... oops, no.

Quote:The 34-year-old Johnson started against the Broncos in last week’s
season-opening loss, and he has already received a $950,000 signing
bonus and a $15,000 roster bonus.
a million for 1 game.  They cut their starting DT for a special teams player that didn't even play a snap. 

1.9 million I beleive... + his Viking’s salary, good for Tom! Interestingly I read that coach Patterson really pounded the table for his return! 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@greediron said:
@Kentis said:

a million for 1 game.  They cut their starting DT for a special teams player that didn't even play a snap. 

1.9 million I beleive... + his Viking’s salary, good for Tom! Interestingly I read that coach Patterson really pounded the table for his return! 
well, the guaranteed 900k will probably be on our tab now that we signed him.

@Kentis said:
@greediron said:
@Kentis said:

Don’t know, I’ve seen a couple of articles commenting on “double dipping”

Cutting DT Tom Johnson backfires on Seahawks, veteran re-signs with Vikings
Seattle hoped to re-sign Johnson this week, but instead, the 34-year old defender will return to Minnesota.
Seeking an additional roster spot, the Seattle Seahawks took a major risk when they released starting defensive tackle Tom Johnson on Saturday morning prior to taking off for last night's game in Chicago.
Unfortunately for the Seahawks, the gamble didn't pay off, as Johnson reportedly will re-sign with the Vikings on a one-year deal per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network. With the new agreement, he's set to "double dip" and earn more than $3 million earning payouts from both teams.
https://footballmaven.io/seahawks/news/cutting-dt-tom-johnson-backfires-on-seahawks-veteran-re-signs-with-vikings-Q1Gc68cVUk2-6FyuKE8wVA/

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@StickyBun said:
Just what was rumored yesterday. And the Vikings have kept 5 RB. Its weird. 

I'm wondering if one of Thomas or Boone are trade bait. When Kentrell Brothers comes off his suspension we are going to have to cut someone else. Maybe they trade one of these guys. I can't imagine there would be much to be had in a trade there, but outside of a potential trade scenario I'd agree, it is weird.
its what I was thinking too.  Its a scenerio that makes sense—waiting for a RB injury or a team that needs RB help, then make a trade.

ok, I thought it was guaranteed only if the guy didn't sign or signed for less than the original amount.

ok, I thought it was guaranteed only if the guy didn't sign or signed for less than the original amount.
I think as a vested veteran he (1)wasn’t subject to waivers (2)was eligble to receive his entire 2018 pay. In fact Seattle will have dead money in 2019 as well.
Tom Johnson will cost the Seahawks just over $1.8m towards the salary cap over the next two years, since he was cut after Week 1 rather than before.

$1.8m for 39 snaps and one tackle.11:01 AM · Sep 18, 2018

Quote: @Kentis said:
@greediron said:
@Kentis said:
@greediron said:
@Kentis said:

Don’t know, I’ve seen a couple of articles commenting on “double dipping”

Cutting DT Tom Johnson backfires on Seahawks, veteran re-signs with Vikings
Seattle hoped to re-sign Johnson this week, but instead, the 34-year old defender will return to Minnesota.
Seeking an additional roster spot, the Seattle Seahawks took a major risk when they released starting defensive tackle Tom Johnson on Saturday morning prior to taking off for last night's game in Chicago.
Unfortunately for the Seahawks, the gamble didn't pay off, as Johnson reportedly will re-sign with the Vikings on a one-year deal per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network. With the new agreement, he's set to "double dip" and earn more than $3 million earning payouts from both teams.
https://footballmaven.io/seahawks/news/cutting-dt-tom-johnson-backfires-on-seahawks-veteran-re-signs-with-vikings-Q1Gc68cVUk2-6FyuKE8wVA/

This is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Sneaky, tough, wise decisions that so far seem to be hitting far more than missing--getting Iloka, making the tough (and right) decision on Quigley...and now Carlson (though you could argue that drafting Carlson in the first place was misguided, but the mistake has been addressed and hopefully corrected while some would arrogantly stay with it), doing what it took to upgrade the QB when I'd say MOST observers thought we'd be better off with Keenum, landing Big Shelly after paying a QB 84M despite his "1 sack" in Seattle, waiting patiently for Flip even though we had a fairly solid option in Stefanski, and then having the foresight to know Flip will likely be here only one season, and so we don't let Stefanski interview. That's a brazen but whipsmart move. Drafting Hughes when most of us would've just taken the next guard on the list. Hughes looks like a future star and the guards are struggling. 

Seems we’ve learned from the Eagles, depth could pay huge dividends for this team.

Not your typical Vikings...? 

The Vikings have now made three official roster changes since their game at Lambeau. Not all of the moves were made at the same time, but these are the net results:

Aldrick Robinson signed, Stacy Coley waived

Dan Bailey signed, Daniel Carlson waived

Tom Johnson signed, David Parry waived

If there were any lingering doubts about whether the Vikings are pushing all their chips in to make a run at the title this season, the moves this week should dispel them. It’s also obvious that players want to be a part of the title run, taking less money to join the team. Even with the Vikings up against the salary cap, they keep finding ways to tweak and improve their roster.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/9/19/17878622/minnesota-vikings-tom-johnson-signing-david-parry-waived

Some of you think that another team will lose a RB and turn to Roc Thomas or Mike Boone to save their season? DeMarco Murray and Jamaal Charles just sit by their phones, saying, "Damn the Vikings have so much depth with their undrafted free agent running backs who have never had a single carry in the NFL!!"

I think our #3 RB situation is probably cloudy because neither of these guys has convinced the coaches they are going to do much if they have to put one on the field.