Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscellaneous Thoughts Vikings at Packers | VikeFans.com
Quote:
Quote: @HappyViking said:
Nice write-up, but I personally don't blame the coaches for Carlson's misses.  It sounds like he's nailing the kicks in practice, but tightens up in games.  Can't have a guys play great Tuesday through Saturday, and flop on Sundays.

I blame Priefer for drafting 2 kickers and failing twice.  The 2 highest drafted kickers in Vikings history and the first kickers drafted by the Vikings since 1978.  Then throw in a punter -- again the highest ever drafted by the Vikings.  So Priefer has drafted the 3 highest kicker/punters in Viking history.  Just think about that for a second.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Nice write-up, but I personally don't blame the coaches for Carlson's misses.  It sounds like he's nailing the kicks in practice, but tightens up in games.  Can't have a guys play great Tuesday through Saturday, and flop on Sundays.

I blame Priefer for drafting 2 kickers and failing twice.  The 2 highest drafted kickers in Vikings history and the first kickers drafted by the Vikings since 1978.  Then throw in a punter -- again the highest ever drafted by the Vikings.  So Priefer has drafted the 3 highest kicker/punters in Viking history.  Just think about that for a second.
You think Priefer has that kind of authority, really?  I wouldn't think any ST coach could get a player drafted by the GM and/or HC unless those above him wanted those players.

Could he lobby for players, or give opinions on kickers and punters?  Sure, but I don't think Walsh or Carlson would be drafted, if Rick didn't want them.

@VikingOracle said:

You think Priefer has that kind of authority, really?  I wouldn't think any ST coach could get a player drafted by the GM and/or HC unless those above him wanted those players.

Could he lobby for players, or give opinions on kickers and punters?  Sure, but I don't think Walsh or Carlson would be drafted, if Rick didn't want them.
I don't think Rick would have drafted those kickers unless Priefer was pounding the table really, really hard.  And I am sure Priefer personally scouted them -- I doubt that the Vikings have any scout who specializes in kickers.  Yes, I blame Priefer for all three kickers drafted -- more than I blame Rick for listening to Priefer.

@HappyViking said:
@VikingOracle said:

I don't think Rick would have drafted those kickers unless Priefer was pounding the table really, really hard.  And I am sure Priefer personally scouted them -- I doubt that the Vikings have any scout who specializes in kickers.  Yes, I blame Priefer for all three kickers drafted -- more than I blame Rick for listening to Priefer.
This is the first I've heard that Priefer drafted those guys.  I'm not going to pretend that I know the inner workings of how players are drafted, but I put the players selected solely on the GM and HC.  Have you heard that he hand picked/scouted these guys?

I'm not so sure Priefer would even want rookie kickers and punters. 

Quote:
This is the first I've heard that Priefer drafted those guys.  I'm not going to pretend that I know the inner workings of how players are drafted, but I put the players selected solely on the GM and HC.  Have you heard that he hand picked/scouted these guys?

"Priefer had dinner with Carlson the night before a predraft workout at Auburn, then watched tape with him and continued on to the workout the following day. He also interviewed Carlson twice at the NFL Scouting Combine, trying to get a handle on his ability to handle pressure."  https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Vikings-believe-in-Daniel-Carlsons-demeanor-120890175/

Case closed regarding Priefer's involvement in the drafting of Carlson?

I especially like this quote from that article: "“The personality of a kicker is very, very important and how he handles pressure and how he handles success and how he handles failure for that matter,” Priefer said. “Watching his college tape and seeing how he handles certain situations and seeing how he has handled certain situations throughout May, June, July and August and in preseason games, I feel really good about his demeanor and how to approach him. … I think he’s so calm.”

"Priefer had dinner with Carlson the night before a predraft workout at Auburn, then watched tape with him and continued on to the workout the following day. He also interviewed Carlson twice at the NFL Scouting Combine, trying to get a handle on his ability to handle pressure."  https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Vikings-believe-in-Daniel-Carlsons-demeanor-120890175/

Case closed regarding Priefer's involvement in the drafting of Carlson?

I especially like this quote from that article: "“The personality of a kicker is very, very important and how he handles pressure and how he handles success and how he handles failure for that matter,” Priefer said. “Watching his college tape and seeing how he handles certain situations and seeing how he has handled certain situations throughout May, June, July and August and in preseason games, I feel really good about his demeanor and how to approach him. … I think he’s so calm.”
Thanks, I hadn't heard that before, and had no idea.  So, three strikes and you're out?  B)

I just assumed Rick liked cheap, strong legged kickers.  I'll bet Zim won't listen to him again.

Here are my miscellaneous thoughts about the Packer game.
  • Linval Joseph:  Why was Joseph in on a couple of third and longs on Green Bays opening draft with a less than mobile Rodgers?  There were some stranger than normal defensive personnel groupings.  Wonder if that was when GB had gone to a hurry up or tempo?  I noticed him out there as well and wondered the same.
  • Linebackers:  This unit has definitely become the weak link.  I am not sure what is happening with Kendricks as he seems not to be analyzing plays fast and therefore he is slow to react.  And, in a contract year, Barr has disappeared.  You can spin this two different ways (which shows how easy it is to spin things).  Kendricks is not playing well because he has been paid.  On the other hand, Barr is not playing hard because he is afraid of injury in a contract year.  Just speculation but Barr and Kendricks needs to revert to their form.   TE are killing the Vikings: Jimmy Graham averaged 15.8 yards per reception against the Vikings;  George Kittle averaged 18.0 yards per reception.  Though not always a linebacker's responsibility, TE killing the Vikings is just a bad look for that unit.  One thought I rather disagree with.  Alexander was responsible for Graham on the one big play and the other was up the sideline so I would assume CB or Safety.  Kittle was probably on Barr IIRC but the Koyznek or whatever his name is was on Gedeon.  And Zim said that guys got caught peeking in at the QB instead of looking at their man.  Seems to be a bit of not trusting the other guy to do his job so far this year.  More on that later
  • Other Thoughts:  I was disappointed by Brent Jones; I was impressed by O'Neill (though he needs to anchor better); and I was generally happy with Alexander though he slipped a bit as the game went on.  Last thing, I found this interesting: According to Pro Football Focus, Rodgers took an average of just 2.24 seconds before throwing on Sunday, down from his 2.65-second average in Week 1 and his 2.55-second average last year. He completed 21 of his 23 passes when he released the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, posting a passer rating of 105.4 on those throws.
Wanted to bring this comment outside your quote.  Zim talked about guys trying to do too much, not being where they are supposed to be.  Last year we were stellar because the team operated as a unit and everyone did their job.  So what is the issue this year?  Is Richardson part of the problem?  Does he freelance, or do guys not trust him?  He is the only new starter. 

Or is it something else?  I have a notion that something is Rob-bing the D of their Brian, I mean brain if you catch the drift.  Who can blame Barr if he makes a business decision now and then?  Didn't the team make a pretty brutal business decision at cut down day?  A career Viking that continually sacrificed himself for the team, that took pay cuts each of the last 2 years from a pretty meager salary considering his production and leadership was cut right before the season.  I get business decisions.  But a guy that epitomized the heart of the Vikings should get to walk off on his own terms.  A guy that wanted nothing more than to bring a championship to the team shouldn't be treated like a greedy fading superstar with a unjustified salary.  Chad Greenway got to walk off on his own terms and IMO he was a liability his last year.  Jared Allen was a rather selfish player and he played out his insane last year of the contract. 

But Brian Robison who was a leader, a coach on the field and yet still could play got cut after reducing his salary the last two years.  Sorry, but that "business decision" may have be penny wise but pound foolish.  The family feel, the brotherhood, the incredible lockerroom had to feel a bit empty after that cut.  I hope they didn't ruin that special character to save a few bucks or to satisfy Rick's personal issues.

And this: https://www.twincities.com/2012/04/27/nfl-draft-vikings-pick-kicker-blair-walsh-in-sixth-round/

And this: "Mike Priefer is the best special teams coach in the NFL and decided to select Blair Walsh in the 5th round of last season's draft."  http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2013/05/v...draft.html

He completed 21 of his 23 passes when he released the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, posting a passer rating of 105.4 on those throws.

It doesn't mean anything but looking at percentage of passes completed (21 of 23) and the release time made me think he was throwing to backs.  They obviously wanted to protect him since he was not as mobile.
I thought we would be all over him all day long when I saw how immobile he was but they negated our typical pressure defense by holding.  Some of the amount of times he sat in the pocket were ridiculous.  I think there was one play where he sat in the pocket 10 seconds and when you looked around the field at our linemen, they were all locked up head to head with a Packer.

Graham was getting open primarily due to Mac Alexander covering him and then looking back at Rodgers on one play and on zones a few other times. The TEs are not always up to our LBs. Although I will agree that Barr and EK are not playing the best football, but Barr is playing DE a bunch yesterday. The scheme is different this year.