Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here We Go Again ..Riley Reiff leaves Thursday practice injured, Zimmer responds
There might be 3 or 4 teams in the NFL who have good depth at left tackle. New England, for example just drafted a developmental left tackle (Antonio Garcia) to groom behind their starter. But he's a rookie with a LONG way to go. If we're just talking about this season, I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Hill.

For the most part, the depth the Vikings have on their line is on par with the rest of the NFL. Damn, it's hard enough to find 1 quality player at left tackle. Jughead wants two before he's satisfied.

Twgerber is right. At some point you have to actually develop these young players. 

I actually would be OK with Hill in at LT if need be. I actually like him and hope he gets all the reps he can. I would assume if will be the backup LT as Remmers looked really bad at times playing LT for the Panthers

Quote: S@"Canthony" said:
I actually would be OK with Hill in at LT if need be. I actually like him and hope he gets all the reps he can. I would assume if will be the backup LT as Remmers looked really bad at times playing LT for the Panthers
In comparison to the quality of the rest of the league,  Kalil looked really bad at times playing LT for the Vikings and he just got paid really well by the panthers.  

It's just a tough position to find even average  talent and jugg head wants a cupboard full of it.

If I can briefly detour from shooting the messenger/reporter, the concern I take away is that IF we continue to suffer a high number of injured offensive linemen - (and yes, I know it is just "if" because this sounds like a minor thing) - then someone has to look beyond "we're cursed" and figure out what is really wrong with the way our linemen are conditioning, training, practicing, or whatever. We may already be at that point given the injury history of the past few years.

Appears to be minor, but as fans we've got PTSD about offensive linemen and possible injuries. 

Quote: 2@"Jor-El" said:
If I can briefly detour from shooting the messenger/reporter, the concern I take away is that IF we continue to suffer a high number of injured offensive linemen - (and yes, I know it is just "if" because this sounds like a minor thing) - then someone has to look beyond "we're cursed" and figure out what is really wrong with the way our linemen are conditioning, training, practicing, or whatever. We may already be at that point given the injury history of the past few years.
It's not like they've ignored that possibility,   a couple years ago they replaced theit strength guy after the torn pectors and other wierd injuries.  I think last year was just a snake bitten thing.  Like Zim said,  it's early in camp and there are going to be a few tweaked muscles and they will be taking precautions with them.  I'm not to worried yet.  Every year we have key guys leave practice and everybody panics, usually for no reason.

Hill at LT...Reiff not on the field...Thielan in a sleeve...McKinnon back with the 1s...  

Hill has started & played in 1 NFL game, sort of a small sample size for our backup LT, who was an UDFA & was a 2 star recruit ranked #1296 in the nation coming out of high school. 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Hill has started & played in 1 NFL game, sort of a small sample size for our backup LT, who was an UDFA & was a 2 star recruit ranked #1296 in the nation coming out of high school. 
Well, you could argue that the NFL's best left tackle the last 10 years was also undrafted (Jason Peters). The guy many call the best right tackle in the game, Ryan Schraeder, was also undrafted. I don't know whether that's luck, scouting or development, but it does give reason for optimism.

And remember, the Jags tried pretty hard to convince Hill to stay. So he does come with a little justified hope that certainly wasn't snuffed out in the limited time we got to see him play. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Kentis" said:
Well, you could argue that the NFL's best left tackle the last 10 years was also undrafted (Jason Peters). The guy many call the best right tackle in the game, Ryan Schraeder, was also undrafted. I don't know whether that's luck, scouting or development, but it does give reason for optimism.

And remember, the Jags tried pretty hard to convince Hill to stay. So he does come with a little justified hope that certainly wasn't snuffed out in the limited time we got to see him play. 
Oh I like Hill, just not too enamored w/ our recent OL player development!