Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long have you been a Vikings fan?
Since 70.  

I was born in Minnesota to a die hard Viking dad. The Vikings and I were born 1 year apart. So my true fandom is complicated.  I remember sitting on his lap watching games as a small child. My job was to be quiet and fetch beers. I loved my job...lol. However was I really a fan yet? I barely remember the 1st Super Bowl even though I was old enough to. So that's weird. I came from a large family and all the others I remember watching with family and neighbors. I don't know if something happened that week in the family that caused this block.
Even through the remaining SB's of the 70s I lived in Minnesota everyone was Viking fans so I was just one of them as well.  I guess if I had to pinpoint the exact moment in time when the passion kicked in it was 1978. My friends dad had 4 season tickets. For him and his wife and 2 sons. It was a Dec game and -0° with wind chill at the old Met. His mom was sick with a cold so he gave their 2 tickets to me and another friend.  So it was just us 4 teenage guys 14-17. It was a game against the Eagle's. The got behind at half. It looked lost till the old man Fran threw 2 TDs to win it. It was my 1st live game. With friends and in the stands with 55,000 other freezing fans. At least the ones that came or stayed. Buzzing on peppermint schnapps and total euphoria. That was the moment.

48 years. I always thought it was '73, but I distinctly remember watching Gary Cuozzo and he was gone by '72. I don't remember the KC Super Bowl or Joe Kapp, so my best guess is the 1970 season when Kapp held out and was traded and Cuozzo came in and led the Vikings to a 12-2 record.

Moving away from Minnesota as a young man in 1987 turned me from being a fan into being an identity. I became known as a Viking fan.

I come from a small town in southern Illinois. 30 people in my graduating class of 1980. 5 Viking fans out of the 30

Too long.

mid 60's as far as I can remember

Yeah, mid-60's.  Earliest little league football.  I'm going to guess '64 or '65.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Ditto.

My first game I watched was SB VIII when we played the Dolphins.  I really didn't know much about the NFL, but my older brother explained to me about Minnesota having a team, and they were really good; I had to watch.  Yeah, we got our a$$es kicked, but the awsome purple jerseys and horned helmets had me hooked.

I've watched most every game since that SB over 44 years ago.