Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Which Is It?
It makes sense in the fact that you could just sit and stash as many guys, especially older/developed guys as you want for later in the year and keep them fresh or injury issues.

[Image: jax2zs01zbs0.jpg]
Looks good in the purple golf shirt! Wink

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
If it is a rule it makes sense,  otherwise teams would just make veteran cuts into coaches to stash for later in the season if needed essentially cheating the roster number rules.
I can't imagine he's going to be paid that much as a coach if at all.  And I doubt he will file retirement papers at this point.

I do think eventually Newman will be paid really well as a coach.

I guess I kinda knew it was a rule. Never bothered to look it up.
Thanks Oracle.
Guess I still think it's kinda unfair. Oh well. Hope we don't get to this point.

It's to prevent teams from stashing players on their teams as coaches.....good rule.

Quote: @JoDakota said:
It's to prevent teams from stashing players on their teams as coaches.....good rule.
I get why. Just it's kinda silly in cases like this or really any older vet. You don't want him coming out of retirement with the coaches playbook or team secrets and go to a new team. That would effect the integrity of the game. Back to his old team though?? If he's experienced enough to coach is he really going to have an unfair advantage. He knew the playbook before. He wouldn't have needed more time to get ready even if he wasn't around the team. If he retired and didn't coach he could un-retire and play. Still take the same amount of time to get game ready. Not arguing it really just don't think staying with the same team effects balances as much as they want to make it sound.

not really Newman related, but I've always thought they should hire older retired players to run some of the scout team functions.  I always thought it was kind of silly to have your practice squad guys emulating the other team rather than focusing on getting better at your system exculsively.