Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Planning a Florida vacation
St. Augustine is your best bet for what you want to do. My neck of the woods is all about fine dining, beach bodies and fun nightclubs and bars. 

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
Loved the spooky story, Suncoast! My son, my best friend and I are all into the paranormal. We went to Deadwood in June and toured the Bullock Hotel....got some pretty interesting pictures, actually...the tour guide was so good and she had so much back info on the hotel and the town. I love history and the paranormal pretty much goes hand-in-hand with it.
MB, I'm definitely interested in the Civil War and though I've never been to Georgia either I have always wanted to go to Savannah and see the Antebellum South firsthand. Is Jacksonville not a good place to visit? We figured we'd have to fly in there in order to drive to St. Augustine so let me know what your thoughts are on Jacksonville.
Joel thank you for all the info! I do NOT know why but I completely spaced out Busch Gardens. Zoos and aquariums are very interesting to me, pretty cool that you live a block away! The river walk sounds fun too, and I'll definitely take you up on your restaurant recommendations. Even if we don't get to Tampa this time, I'm sure we'll want to go back again to visit Florida.
You guys would get along well with my wife. I've done a number of ghost tours with her. Truth is while I view it as just that, stories. They are based on historical events so I enjoy that. Been to ghost tours in St Augustine, Charleston even Tombstone.  I didn't even think of Savannah. That is real close and would be your taste. I'm not a big fan of Jacksonville either. Only been there once. They have an decent zoo for the price. One old fort I went through. Busch Gardens is expensive but is an awsome and memorable day. I go every few years. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
St. Augustine is your best bet for what you want to do. My neck of the woods is all about fine dining, beach bodies and fun nightclubs and bars. 

Do I sound like an old stick in the mud Sticky? Truth is, I certainly enjoy fine dining and beach bodies are nice to look at. Nightclubs...well, I've never been to one, being from NoDak and all. We have some fun bars around here but I imagine they'd probably be considered dives to the rest of the world Wink
Where is your neck of the woods if I may ask? This first trip to Florida is more about taking in the sites as opposed to indulging in the den of iniquity. I leave that stuff for Vegas Big Grin

Quote:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
Loved the spooky story, Suncoast! My son, my best friend and I are all into the paranormal. We went to Deadwood in June and toured the Bullock Hotel....got some pretty interesting pictures, actually...the tour guide was so good and she had so much back info on the hotel and the town. I love history and the paranormal pretty much goes hand-in-hand with it.
MB, I'm definitely interested in the Civil War and though I've never been to Georgia either I have always wanted to go to Savannah and see the Antebellum South firsthand. Is Jacksonville not a good place to visit? We figured we'd have to fly in there in order to drive to St. Augustine so let me know what your thoughts are on Jacksonville.
Joel thank you for all the info! I do NOT know why but I completely spaced out Busch Gardens. Zoos and aquariums are very interesting to me, pretty cool that you live a block away! The river walk sounds fun too, and I'll definitely take you up on your restaurant recommendations. Even if we don't get to Tampa this time, I'm sure we'll want to go back again to visit Florida.
You guys would get along well with my wife. I've done a number of ghost tours with her. Truth is while I view it as just that, stories. They are based on historical events so I enjoy that. Been to ghost tours in St Augustine, Charleston even Tombstone.  I didn't even think of Savannah. That is real close and would be your taste. I'm not a big fan of Jacksonville either. Only been there once. They have an decent zoo for the price. One old fort I went through. Busch Gardens is expensive but is an awsome and memorable day. I go every few years. 

@"suncoastvike" said:
Quote:
@"prairieghost" said:
You mention Charleston and the Carolinas is on our list for future vacation destinations. My friend is Air Force and is from Ridgeland, SC and has offered in the past to drive with us out to SC to give us a personal tour. Unfortunately, at this time the military has her too busy to take a trip like that.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Do I sound like an old stick in the mud Sticky? Truth is, I certainly enjoy fine dining and beach bodies are nice to look at. Nightclubs...well, I've never been to one, being from NoDak and all. We have some fun bars around here but I imagine they'd probably be considered dives to the rest of the world Wink
Where is your neck of the woods if I may ask? This first trip to Florida is more about taking in the sites as opposed to indulging in the den of iniquity. I leave that stuff for Vegas Big Grin
I'm in Boca Raton on the southern East Coast, about an hour north of Miami. Its very expensive. Delray Beach is 10 minutes from us and its really fun. 

I might be biased, but I do love St Pete...lots of great dining options...good nightlife...close to tons of top shelf beaches...cool local shops...museums...galleries...live music...

If you go to Jacksonville check out St. Johns Town Center. And Maggianos restaurant.The fried zucchini appetizer is to die for.

Trip to Florida huh, my advise is lots of target practice...  Wink B)  

St. Augustine for sure is a cool area.    The space coast and Cape Canaveral is cool.   The Keys are cool.   St. Pete has some awesome galleries like the Dali museum is awesome.

Other neat things I like are some smaller places like: crystal river, Homosassa Springs (has a cool underwater observatory at which Manatees frequently come to the windows), suncoast primate sanctuary, Dolphin tour out of Dunedin ($28 plus all you can drink).

oh and in Dunedin there are 7 craft breweries within a mile of each other so a little craft beer walk is fun - if you can get to all 7.  LOL